List of must nots with total knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

koditten

I have seen from previous threads that running and jumping are no-nos. I was wondering if someone has a ready list of things that are not advised.

One of my passions is climbing. My present occupation requires much climping around on pipes in the air. I really enjoy this. Am I going to have to stop this part of my job. Also I have heard that using a step ladder is frowned on because of the fact you could fall off and drive the implates into your bone. Is this old data? any info will be appriciated.

Thanks

Kirk

Wow Kirk, I have never heard that about the ladder. I think you will find the running and jumping are only for wear and tear purposes. I know people who have had knee replacements that play tennis and say they have never played better. I have chosen not to run and jump just to help my replacement last as long as possible, but then I didn't run and jump before hand so it's no real effort not to. :)

Jo may have some up to date info for you on what you can and can't do. I can only tell you with my knee now 7 months on, I hardly even think about it, I forget it's there.

Not use a ladder? I don't think so! :skp: Lots of guys (and many gals) are DIY fanatics and would turn pale at the very thought!

As for that bit about driving the implants into your bone - rubbish! Utter rubbish! One of those old wives tales someone thought up to make themselves sound knowledgeable! There's a lot of them around.

Actually there's not a whole lot of don'ts with TKR. Basically the ones like running and jumping are to do with impact that could loosen the implants or cause excessive wear in the plastic insert/spacer. Obviously it's in your best interests to take care or your new knee and thus increase its longevity. No point in hastening the likelihood of a revision. And the running
mostly applies to activities like jogging which, by its very nature of a bouncing gait over a prolonged period, can cause the implants to shake loose, particularly the tibial one.

I thought I would add my 2 cents here since I just had my 1 year anniversary of my surgery this past week. Yesterday, to celebrate Father's Day, my husband (62), myself (59), our 34 yo son, and our 10 year old granddaughter all went zip lining. We had to go down ladders both wooden & ones that were cargo net made from heavy rope. We had a wonderful 3 hours of adventure! I hope you go forward and have the surgery as you do get your life back as you used to live it.
My very best wishes to you!

Dang I have been using a letter since I was 6 week out. Most of my cabinets are so hi, I have no choice. Been up to attic and all.
No problem. I guess you could fall off, but even with out the new knee that could have happen.

Just don't run and Jump unles you are planning to have a revision. I don't plan on one. This is recovery once is enough for me.

Crystal you go girl...That really sounds fun...Where did you all go for that..........I had a chance to do it once and chickened out. Wish I would have done it. I did parasailing once that was enough for me...

Question amusement parks and the rides are they ok.......they jolt you around so much..my kids want to go to six flags...

I doubt that climbing would be a problem, it's falling off that creates the problems. Just don't fall! That wonderful kernel of wisdom applies to all, not just those with bionic knees.

Koditten, Good thread but I think you'll find the list of things you CAN do will far, far outweigh any list of things you might not want to do with new knees. Some of our forum BoneSmarties have done really amazing things even fairly early in their recovery.

Kirk,

My pt told me it would be 6 months before I could get myself off the floor without support. He was so wrong!

At 4 weeks I dumped myself on the kitchen floor out of my computer rolling chair. I sat their for a moment in sheer panic. My friend and children weren't sure what to do. They all wanted to help me. When I came to my senses, I asked them all to back up and I (ungracefully) proceeded to get myself up without assistance. Wasn't pretty, looked like a toddler hoisting my rear in the air, but it was successful.

Not that I'm recommending trying this. Had a huge bruise under the arm where I scraped the cabinet during the dump session, but I did get up. Helped me feel a little better about my recovery and new knee.

You should ask your OS about what he recommends. You should be able to climb with no problem after recovery.

Ohhhhhh Rose,
I truly can see you in my minds eye with your hinnie up in the air while you try to walk yourself up to a standing mode. I fell in the basement at 2 weeks Hubby was a sleep upstairs so I had to get my self up thank God it was my first knee so I still had one leg to work with!!!! LOL I had my hinnie up in the air while I too walked in to standing up!!
It was scary but I did it!!! I am Woman hear me roar!! LOL ROFL

PHEW!!! That could have been one tough break! Better bruised than broken!!!

I don't think there are really any NO's, but there are actions which are not without risks. Many surgeons are unwilling to assent to any risky action for fear of a lawsuit if they say this was OK and you hurt your self doing it. So what are the three problems?

1. You can break the bones around the prosthesis which becomes a real problem for an orthopod to fix and may not be as good again.

2. There are parts of the prosthesis which wear away and will need to be replaced if you are alive long enough. What you do can affect the lifespan of these components. Pounding sports and carrying extra weight both influence this.

3. Loosening of the pieces. This seems to be a function of how long the prosthesis has been in place and what's happening with your bones. The prosthesis is originally screwed, glued and pressure fit. Over time your bones grow around the prosthesis. This process is acutally aided by stress so more weight bearing exercise the the stronger the bones around the prosthesis becomes. However, if your bones are soft (i.e. have osteoporosis) the prosthesis may loosen under stress.

So you have to decide if everything to do is worth the risk and we've all made different personal decisions. I ski all the time, but I think the people who jog and rock climb are nuts and would never do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties