TKR Lisako76 Recovery

Lisako76

Country
United States United States
I'm back here today because of the knee bending too. I had tkr 8/23. I can put my leg completely straight but bending it sucks!! My in home PT is telling me to work hard on stretching and bending so it doesn't lock. It really hurts to do it. I feel like it sets me back. I didn't mean to hijack this post but really don't understand how to do a new post correctly (a little help please is very welcome)

I know of the activity progression area on here (VERY) helpful. Is there a PT progression area?

I want a great recovery. I'm having my other knee done 10/25 and I dont want to screw up. I love the idea of if it hurts, stop, but will my knee freeze? Sigh.

Hi, @Lisako76 , I copied your post and started a Recovery Thread for you. This is where we can talk about your recovery.

I‘m sorry that your PT is pressuring you about your bend, just days out of surgery. I really wish more PTs had better understanding about this surgery and recovery.

Of course you can’t bend your knee well yet, it was just surgically assaulted and it’s very upset right now. It needs to recover, before you will have a good bend. I’m sure you have plenty of swelling, and that is why it doesn’t bend. As you heal, the swelling will go down, and the bend will improve. This can take weeks or even months. Try not to worry, your knee will not freeze! (I can still envision a conversation I had with someone, in my kitchen, and she used the same word-freeze. Of course, she has never had a knee replacement…)

Anyway, you are literally in very early days in a recovery that takes an average of a year. What you should be doing is resting, icing, and elevating, so your knee can heal and swelling can go down. What you should not be doing, is worry about your ROM. It will return. In my next post I will give you our Recovery Guidelines, which will have information about how to rest, ice and elevate.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

This is another really good article to read. Rest is important, and so is movement. It’s the balance that is key to a good recovery.

My therapist did the same thing to me my first few visits and they still do it 4 weeks out of surgery. They told me I have to just do it when I tell them I'm trying. I have found I can bend it better sitting up than laying flat on my back but they didn't really listen. Just stay strong and build your muscles up as much as possible without pain. Just having my strength back in my leg feels amazing. Feels a little back to normal.

As long as you continue to walk a few minutes every hour or so and just do Activities of Daily Life (going to the bathroom, getting a snack etc.) you don't need to worry about your knee "freezing" @Lisako76.
Prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances, scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery.

This is another really good article to read. Rest is important, and so is movement. It’s the balance that is key to a good recovery.
Proper gait so simple, so important, so elusive lol

You can check out the OneStep Program for gait issues, click the link in my signatur.

I think some PTs think we will lay around completely motionless unless they threaten us with "frozen" knees.

So yes, do move your leg such as with some heel slides. It will not feel comfortable. But outright intense pain is your body telling you "that's too much."

I can tell you that in the first couple of weeks, trips to the bathroom and kitchen were exercise in and of themselves. And my daily shower was an event! :heehee:

I had my left knee replaced 8/23. I'm doing really well but am surprised that I still need the oxycodone. I always get off that stuff asap because it makes me feel so foggy.

I have a great pain doc and I know I can switch to hydroocodone which makes me sleep or tramadol which I'm not sure would be enough. If I took tramadol and it wasn't enough can I take oxy? I've never needed anything this strong so long and I've had some big surgeries. How long did you guys need the oxy?

I had my left knee replaced 8/23. I'm doing really well but am surprised that I still need the oxycodone. I always get off that stuff asap because it makes me feel so foggy.

I have a great pain doc and I know I can switch to hydroocodone which makes me sleep or tramadol which I'm not sure would be enough. If I took tramadol and it wasn't enough can I take oxy? I've never needed anything this strong so long and I've had some big surgeries. How long did you guys need the oxy?
I had my RTKR one month prior to you and if you read my thread, I am still taking it intermittently.
For me it's a necessary evil. I only need it at night (now, as I am awake in pain but not quite enough to get up and take it). I've gone as long as 4 days without it but I'm happy to still have it for the agonizing breakthrough pain.
My MD most likely won't refill mine at this point; I take Tramadol twice a day but it really doesn't do much for me. I consulted with my holistic practitioner and she suggested CBD. That's next on my list to try.

At about 2 weeks out, it is not at all surprising you still need the stronger med! The first 3 weeks can be rough. This is MAJOR surgery, so don’t feel guilty that you still need the stronger med. The pain will eventually subside. If you watched any YouTubes that show knee replacement surgery, you will know why you hurt :censored:! Be easy on yourself. Eventually, you can get on a Tylenol/Motrin schedule which can be helpful in easing lesser pain. Right now, ice, elevate and medicate.

Thanks. I hate to feel weak.... in the words of Monk.... its a blessing and a curse lol

I had my tkr surgery 8/23 and have been doing well to now. I was able to straighten my knee and bend it very well. Suddenly I can't seem to straighten it the last 5 degrees. I'm worried because I had a previous arthropod knee surgery that happened afterwards and it was permanent scar tissue. I go back to pt Friday but am panicking because it's not improving and I feel it when I walk. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Thank you for moving it. I actually am relatively intelligent yet I have a terrible time figuring out how to do new posts or to navigate this site. Thank you for your help!

What exactly do you find the problem. We are in fact trying to revamp a bit, and feedback would be useful. Are you using a phone, tablet or computer?

I had a previous arthropod knee surgery that happened afterwards and it was permanent scar tissue.
Did this surgery take place after your TKR? Was it on the same knee? Please give us the date and we’ll add it to your signature.

At only one month post op you have lots of time to improve your bend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom