THR Linette333 is in recovery<

@linette I do recommend you check in with either your doctor or your pharmacist - or both. You are taking several drugs, and it might be a combination of them, or one other than the opiate that is causing nausea, and you might feel better with a change in your medication. It’s also possible that if you time your food a bit differently, it will help. There are anti-nausea medications that work very well, too. Personally,I would start with my pharmacist, but that’s because they’ve been so helpful in the past and are usually available quite promptly. Your hospital may be the most helpful starting place in your circumstances.

But strangely it seems to be worse when the next dose is due and then relieved for a while after I've taken them.
Some people get nauseous as a reaction to pain. Do check with your pharmacist or hospital. You might need your medication tweaked a bit.

Day 6: Less nausea today. Didn't manage to get through to the hospital, but will try again tomorrow.
Removed the dressing from my wound. The nurse did try to remove it in hospital but then decided it wasn't quite ready and put a new one on. It doesn't look as scary as I expected - not too much bruising yet. The stitches are soluble, so nothing more to do there.
I had hoped to be able to go and walk a little outside by now, but there is no chance in this weather. Crutches, wet paths and showers - :bignono:

Day 7: A week now since my surgery! I was so terrified of the operation, but for me the op and the time in hospital have been the easiest part! These early recovery weeks are hard, very hard .....
On a positive note, the swelling in my knee has gone down a lot (maybe because I have been elevating it higher?)
I am desperate to walk round my garden tomorrow - if it would just stop raining! :beg:

@linette333 After my PT had me try using my cane yesterday and I realized I could do it. I had been afraid to try the cane. I'm at a out 2-1/2 weeks. So today I went out in the grass in the back yard to start and then followed my path around my flowers. Wonderful feeling. My husband was outside with me. I hope you can get a walk around your garden soon, really lifts the spirit...

:console2:Hang in there my Triple Three Hippy Pal.
It will get easier...
I know how tough these first weeks are ....
So healing hugs coming at you.:roseshwr:

@Cecropia and @ceezee spending time in your gardens sounds so good! Unfortunately there is still no let-up from the rain ....... :blackcloud:
Day 8: Looking back over the past week, I can see that I have made great progress in my walking. Sill using 2 crutches, but it's steady and fluid. Knee feels much less stiff and is far less swollen. But I have felt sooo tired today ! Also found it difficult to find a comfortable position to sit or lie.
I am now going to post weekly on my progress, hoping that I will see more change.

@linette333 I get really tired too, but small improvements. And just in the last 2 nights have I been able to side sleep for about 45min then to back sleeping. I rotate all night and managed to stay in bed. Today is the first day my stitches are not tender, so sitting has been easier. But now my one pain is right above where the hip joint is located. Probably where he press fit the cup. One pain gets better another pops up. E-gads. Congrats on one week out... My knee is still tender too. When I read your post I thought that's how it was for me too, finding a comfortable way to sit or lay down. You are moving along about normal I'd say. :yes: The good days are coming....:egypdance:

@Layla @Jaycey @Mojo333 and anyone else who can comment on pain management issues. I woke up this morning in more pain around the incision than ever! I have been taking paracetamol and tramadol 4 times a day and also celecoxib twice a day. I finished the celecoxib yesterday and for the past 3 days have dropped the tramadol down to 3 (missing out the lunchtime dose), with no problems. I took the bedtime dose as normal so I can't understand why the pain should be so bad. I suppose its too soon to try to reduce. Any comments or advice gratefully received!

My stitches tightened up during the night. I found I had to ice during the night. All my pains were always worse in the morning. I'm at 3 weeks and had to ice my stitches area during the night after 2 nights not having to. I thi k most have dissolved, but it is still very tender.

I agree...I described mine as searing at times...burning. Could be swelling gets it tight and aggravated also.
:ice: and more ice.
Hope things ease off soon friend.:console2:

Last edited:
Good Morning,
I'm sorry you're dealing with pain. Consider calling the office of your OS to advise on whether you should be dropping the mid-day Tramadol dose yet. Otherwise, ramp up the icing. I iced almost constantly early on. Every time I was laying down, or sitting down in the early days, I was icing. I also went to bed with an ice pack and refreshed it during the middle of the night bathroom run. It truly helps with pain and swelling.
It may be too early for you to reduce meds at only 10 days post op.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day.
@linette333

Thanks all for your helpful replies! I haven't yet iced during the night, so I will try that and also increase it in the daytime. I rang my GP and got a prescription for Tramadol, so I can take more time to come off it. It's so disappointing though - I hate being on these strong drugs! It certainly is a case of " two steps forward and then one step backwards " ! :sad:
Thanks again!

@linette333 I was just like Layla, I had to keep ice on mine all through the night; would change it once on a bathroom break. I truly couldn't have slept without mine and used it straight through for 3 weeks. And still grab it occasionally after a too-busy day. Hope it helps you too! :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
Way to go linette333 on to a speedy gentle and pain-free recovery. Seems like everything went so well for you.I have those thigh high compression stockings that a home worker comes to put on every am since over a week now. They really help with the swelling and edema. Rest.

Oh I see that you have a lot of pain and you are icing and have meds. Could you have your OS change the meds or another combination that would be better?

Thanks @mikeycat. I have managed to get on top of the pain - I tweaked the times of the meds and got some more Tramadol, so that I can take my time in coming off them. So all is on track again - well, for now at least. That's the thing with this recovery - as soon as one pain/ problem is sorted, another appears! But I only have one hip to cope with and there you are coping with two!!
Hope you're having a good day :)

Hello linette. I am following your progress with great interest. I am having my op in 2.5 weeks. I am nervous as anything but really want to get this done now. Keep up the good work!

Hi @Fiona444 ! I see you are also in the UK. Like you I was incredibly nervous before my surgery, but there comes a point where you just want it over with. Really, the operation is over in a flash and I have no regrets. The recovery is by no means easy and has it's ups and downs (as I am discovering!), but I can look forwards now and see myself making progress. I had become so miserable, limping around in pain ......
This forum is fantastic - so much help, encouragement and reassurance.
Keep yourself busy while you wait - the day will be here before you know it!
I will look forward to seeing you over on this side! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks