THR Linette333 is in recovery<

Wishing you all the best, you wont know yourself in a few short weeks

:SUNsmile:The waiting will soon be over. Crossing to the other side and starting the healing process. That's the way to go....:welome:

All done! The operation was this morning around 9 am. The spinal was amazing! I was told to lean forward over a pillow and the next thing I knew was opening my eyes in the recovery room! I never even felt the injection!!:tada:
Low blood pressure a slight problem. I have got all the feeling back in my legs now- these boots are driving me mad though! My bladder is apparently borderline for a catheter, so I'm hoping it "wakes up " soon. They are managing my pain really well. I cannot praise all the hospital staff enough.
I just feel so relieved now! It really does feel good to be on this side of the forum.
So far so good! :)

Glad to see you made it through so nicely. I had the spinal. I never felt my legs go numb either and then when I woke up they were already thawed out. I liked that....Will be thinking of you while you rest up and go through the motions in the hospital.:flwrysmile:

Welcome to the other side!

Here is your copy of the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Had a reasonable night. I was surprised to actually sleep as I am not good on my back. Blood pressure checks and the noise of the boots didn't help. Not to mention the trips to the bathroom! At least that has forced me to get on my feet. Physio will be arriving any time soon.
I am feeling rather "woozy " and nauseous - all the pain meds apparently, so they are reducing the oxy. I currently have zero pain so I just hope that doesn't massively increase it.
Anyway so far so good!

@linette333 Welcome to the other side! Ask for anti-nausea medication if you need it. Works wonders!

:welome:

Glad to hear all went well and wishing you a smooth and steady recovery, :flwrysmile: be kind to yourself and take it easy.....definitely ask for the anti sickness and pain medication if you feel you need it, you know your body best.........:)

Update ... Had my first short session with the physio. Walked round the room a few times with the walker, then with crutches and got in and out of bed. Walking is painful, but leg is quite flexible, so much better than I expected. She took the walker away , so just crutches from now on . Best of all - no more boots! :yes!:

:wave:Glad to see you on the healing side.
Don't let those physios rush you too much.:umm:
I used my walker at home for a bit as I had sudden moments of dizziness from the meds, so use what you feel most stable using.
They may really want to make sure you know how to manage the crutches properly, but these are super early days.
Glad you are sounding so positive.:)
Healing vibes coming your way, triple 3:yes::yes::yes:

Last edited:
@linette333 You sound positive about your recovery, that's good. I still use my walker at 10 days out and don't see giving it up yet, plus I have bags tied to it and carry all my junk around with me. I have been using less pressure on it when I walk tho and occasionally I let go and use the counter to get to something. My roommate had nausea from her pain meds and the anti nausea medication really helped. I was on hydrocodone, it made me really sleepy, not nauseous, but my appetite has not been as good since the surgery. I think that's normal. You'll be going home soon, yippee!

Thanks all for your kind messages. This forum has been invaluable.
Day 2 (hospital told me that officially the day following the op is day 1): I had the best night's sleep I've had in months! After the horrible nausea and drowsiness on oxycontin yesterday, it was decided that I would not take it last night. I had anti-nausea medication and was told I could have oromorph if needed, but I had no pain so didn't have that either and slept right through except for 2 bathroom breaks - amazing! The low blood pressure issue seems to have resolved itself now. The physio came again and gave me some very simple exercises to do daily, showed me how to do stairs and declared me fit to go home. The nurse removed my dressing and I have stitches which will dissolve. So now I am back home!
Medication: for pain I have tramadol, celecoxib and paracetomol with oramorph if required; asprin: laxatives. Not forgetting the hateful stockings of course! Follow-up appointment in 6-8 weeks.
The operation and whole hospital experience has been so much better than I ever expected. :egypdance:
Now for recovery ...!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back