TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

Thank you Lindylee for your message.
Once weekly, but last week it was twice, don’t know why. He seems a lot less busy than last year. I get 45 minutes or an hour. I tried another one this time but he was very busy, waited half an hour twice for a 20 minute appointment, then realised where I was better off!
would like a class with others but they don’t seem to do it that way here.

:thumb: Great news a full rotation is great your coming along well

I had my post surgery review and another physio assessment yesterday. I saw the surgical registrar first who was very pleased with progress, said my bend was very good and extension about 5, but he wasn't concerned and said it would improve with time, as would the swelling.

My new right knee is already far more comfortable than the left that's 13 months old now. It feels like a natural knee whereas the left can sometimes feel rather alien still. I mentioned I had some pain still over the lower lateral aspect of the left knee coming downstairs or getting up from sitting and it sometimes felt uncomfortable walking which the Consultant and physio last year put down to the IT band where it crosses the femoral condyle . He examined it, checked x-rays, said the implant looked fine. He wasn't so sure it was the IT band, but said to ask the physio for additional stretches to help and if it's a problem still when I have my next check up in 10 months they would scan it.

On to the physio and I saw the original physio who was very happy with ROM (unlike the last one) and said he could see by my pressing the back of my knee onto his hand that I'd be able to achieve 0 extension. He wasn't convinced it was IT band issues on the other leg either and has given me some hip strengthening exercises to see if they will help with the knee when walking and signed me up for the 6 week hip and knee exercise class starting next week.

So all in all I'm quite pleased, very pleased with the right knee and hopeful that the left will improve. Funny really that I thought the left was doing ok until I had the right done!

It sounds as if you are making good progress Lindylee. I have not attempted to ride a bike yet but may go back to the gym next week and have a go.I might try walking on the treadmill at a slow speed for a few minutes as well. My physio only seems interested in measuring my bend and checking that I can straighten my leg. He just said carry on with the exercises and left me to carry on with things. It must be nice to go to a hip and knee class and meet up with other people who have had similar operations.

@aries Yes, we're very fortunate in this area with our local hospitals and facilities. I enjoyed the class last year, met some nice people. Once the class was finished they set up another 12 week course at the local gym at a reduced rate under the NHS on a one-to-one basis.

It's called the Get Active programme and is for people who have been ill, had surgery or have been referred by their GP as part of a weight loss or fitness programme. Will you be seeing your physio again? It might be worth checking if there are any programmes run by your local council or NHS to help.

Hi Lindylee,
Thanks for your reply. I have heard of the Get Active programme and I have heard of quite a few people who have been referred to the local gym and they work with a personal trainer.
I think that my physio appointment was a bit of and waste of time. All he did was measured my bend ad checked that I could straighten my leg. He took me into the gym and watched how I walked without crutches and said not to use them around the house. He gave me another exercise to help me to climb stairs again and that was it.I think I only had about 15 mins max with him.
When I had my first knee gone in 2015 I had the same guy and he was far more helpful. He took me into the gym and explained how to use the exercise bike. He showed me how to kneel on a soft mat and looked at the scar and did a little bit of massage. It just seemed a waste of time as we had to 30 min drive to hospital for a very short appointment. Most of the questions I asked he could not answer and told me to ask the surgeon.
I just feel that he has not been very helpful.
Back in 2008 I had a hip replacement due to an accident. I went to a hip class after that which was good.
I do have another appointment to se physio but he said that it could be my last.I had my operation privately as I wanted a particular surgeon, but I think the physio has been very disappointing.
Whereabouts in the UK do you live?

@airies sounds like my physio, saw him 2 weeks ago, checked my bend, straight knee gave me 2 strengthening to do and said if all ok would discharge me at next session, Friday 6th March. I haven't done the strengthening ones as was left with stiff,swollen knee and given only then 4 weeks decided to only concentrate on rehab ones. My knee, my time. I hear on here so many different stages with physios but sounds yours is similar to mine. So, I see him Friday and no haven't achieved the squats and standing sitting he gave me, will be interesting what happens. Our knees can only do what they are capable of, without the need to push. When do you see yours next x

I think the NHS physios have very limited time now. When I saw one a few years ago, she was good, but time limited, and in a little cubicle activités limited too. (Mind you didn’t have a new knee to try out then). Back in England last summer, I paid to see a private physio, at home and it was well worth it.

@henrietta I have a private physio and osteopath due to my back problem and they have been keeping an eye on what's going on. Both are against the squats he wanted me to do, rehab is far more important at the moment. I think you are right, here in uk on a time limit. X

Yes I saw a private physio before Christmas as I had an issue with my left knee which was replaced in 2015. She did some deep massage and acupuncture and it really helped. If I have any lingering problems with my recent knee replacement I will go back to her. At the moment,
it is early in the recovery so I suppose I have to give things time to settle down.

@aries Agree, we know this is a slow process and we need patience, how hard it is!!!! Also difficult for our minds to cope with right or wrong, certainly not easy. But yes give these guys a chance and as long as we know what to allow then worth the time. My problem is lack of sleep and that makes everything flippin awful! Take care and let me know how you get on xx

@aries I live just inside the Kingston borough of Greater London on the border with Surrey. We're very lucky as we have access to an orthopaedic centre of excellence in Epsom which is where I had my surgery and was then referred back to Kingston Hospital for physio.

My GP is very good too. Whilst I was on the Get Active programme the trainer thought my knee was drifting slightly and my GP referred me to a physio at a local clinic and I saw him every 3 weeks up until November when we came to a mutual decision to stop whilst I waited for my second op and he was very helpful too. Like you, I had in mind a private physiotherapist if needed, but thought I'd wait until both knees were down. At present I'm happy with the treatment I'm receiving, but if the issues with the left knee don't resolve I'll give them a call. They use hydrotherapy and I think that mIght help my other musculoskeletal problems too.

It's a shame there isn't access to the same level of care nationwide.

Last edited:
Hi Lindylee,
I gave researched Doc Spot and hopefully my GP will do a referral. It would be useful to have a programme of activities that would help to strengthen my knee. I already belong to a gym but I just tend to fo my own thing and it would be nice to have some guidance about what to do and which machines to use.
Saw surgeon today and he was pleased with everything. Gave me the OK to drive and I do not have to wear the Norah Batty stockings anymore.

@aries Just had a quick look at Doc Spot and it seems very similar to our Get Active programme. Good news about your review too. Things are looking up!

I am finding it frustrating that my new knee is capable of doing far more without groaning than the first. The new one is quite happy doing mini squats and sit to stand whereas the first never was and still isn't.

Yesterday I got a bus to M & S to change something, then another bus back to our local shopping centre to post a parcel and pick up some shopping. A third bus home, dropped the shopping off (and my stick mistakenly) walked to the bakers for a loaf without a peep from the new knee, but the first one moaning and groaning there and back. I'd hoped giving the first a rest for a few weeks after the second TKR might improve things, but it seems to have gone backwards!

Brilliant. So good to hear. You are doing incredibly well. I still need to get my knee to bend when walking, although my PT did help yesterday. Trying to emphasise it and looks like a dressage horse! Take care x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88