TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

I think you could try putting the electrodes more to the side, so that the diagonal lines intersect where you're feeling the most pain.

Thank you both for the advice, very helpful.

Interesting to see we still struggle with this whole drama. I’ve tried to get on with life, coping with the discomfort that somehow still hangs around. My problem now seems to be those numb areas starting to come alive 5 months in and it’s a whole new pain. I wish it would end. But like many of us, my other knee reminds me it’s got to happen all over again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just popped in for a quick update.
My 6 month anniversary yesterday and all is going well. My new knee is going from strength to strength and I'm doing most things I was before, just other issues preventing me from long walks still. The IT band is improving, but still bothers me from time to time, although I no longer feel like I have a wonky wheel and walking in a straight line is more natural.

Going down stairs there is still a little discomfort that increases if I do too many and the knee tends to swell and stiffen if I spend too long sitting with my foot on the floor.

The other knee is becoming more of an issue, giving way, locking and very stiff. I sense the next surgery is getting ever closer, but I'm enjoying being back in the swing of things so reluctant to go ahead just yet, especially as one of the doctors reckons the right knee is worse than the left one was so part of me wonders if it will be a harder recovery. It's more the enforced inactivity that's putting me off rather than the surgery, but there will come a time in the not too distant future that the balance changes.

I hope everyone else is getting on ok and I'd just like to thank all on Bonesmart for all the advice and support. It's really helped.

Hi there @Lindylee. We’re in similar timeframes and am pleased to seeing all going well. I see my surgeon on Thursday. Have decided to do the other one ASAP. Feel that there’s no point hanging around, trying to strengthen my operated knee, coping with revolt from my other one. Just get it over with and work properly on both, is my thoughts.

Hi @Didot Good to hear you're ready to proceed with the other knee. I hope it all goes well for you. I need to make up my mind before too long. We have a big anniversary coming up next year that we need to plan for and it's either wait until after or go ahead fairly soon. Decisions, decisions!

@Lindylee , it's good to see an update from you! Glad it's been going well and hope that other knee holds up for you. I couldn't imagine doing my other knee within the first year. I would if I had to, but thankfully, it's been surprisingly okay! I hear you about the stairs. That's the last challenge I hope to overcome soon. Going up is fine, but descending is another issue. I just need to wrap my head around the idea :)

@Irish471 Hi there! You seem to be doing well too. I read through your posts yesterday. Downstairs will come when you're ready. I started by just doing the bottom two stairs and then increasing gradually until I could do a whole flight. We're in a 200 year old holiday cottage in Wales at present. The stairs are very steep so I'm not even considering coming down normally while we're here.

Ideally I'd like to hang on until next Spring before the other knee is done, but then I want to be fully fit for next September. The decision isn't being helped at present by my husband having investigations and I want to be sure that we're not going to be two old crocks together!

@Josephine Good morning Josephine. I wondered if you could give me some advice. I'm not asking for certainties, but with all your years of experience I'd be very grateful for your opinion. I feel that I'm ready to have my right knee done now as it's deteriorating rapidly, but I'm still having problems with the IT Band on the left knee. I also have gluteal tendonopathy on the right side that is playing up at present and wondered if these two issues are likely to hamper my recovery if I were to go ahead now and if I'd do better to wait until one, or both, of the current issues are resolved or at least much improved or whether you think it would make no difference. I'm assuming that it's quite likely I'll probably have a similar problem with the IT Band on the right knee as that is more knock kneed that the left was and seems to rotate in an well.

I know there are no certainties and appreciate you might feel unable to advise me, but any input would be appreciated.

@Lindylee - Josephine is off sick at the moment. She'll be having a Revision TKR on September 6th.

I can't give you the benefit of Josephine's experience, but I think I would go ahead and have the other knee replaced. I don't know how long your IT band will take to settle down but I do know that it can sometimes take a while.

If your left IT band is already settling, it may flare up again when that leg has to become the "good leg," but it might not. I don't think there's any way of predicting whether it will behave well, or not.

If you wait until your other issues have cleared up and then they flare up again, you'll have wasted that time when you waited.

On the whole, I think you'll just have to take a chance. The one thing you do know is that having your right knee replaced will (after recovery) give you a knee that is feeling better all the time, instead of continuing to deteriorate.

Thank you Celle; I appreciate your input. I hope Josephine's surgery goes smoothly and she has a good recovery.

Hi Lindylee. I’ve been wondering how things are going with you. I had my left TKR on 19 August, after much debate. My right was done in January and recovery was very slow, due to swelling that has only got better in the last few months. My reckoning was that it had to be done, as further progress with my right was becoming hindered through immobility. But my goodness, one forgets. It’s been torture again and I know the road ahead is a long one. I also think you should do it and get it over with.

@Didot Thanks Didot, good to hear from you. I've been wondering how you're getting on. I hope things improve for you soon. I think one of my worries has been that when I go to stand the right knee and hip don't want to take any weight at all for a few seconds until I'm completely upright, but because the left is painful still going from sitting to standing it's difficult at times to judge which is causing me more grief!

Thanks Celle.

Hi Lindylee I just popped in to check on you. Sorry you are having difficulties. It’s frustrating going through this once but twice. I don’t envy your decision as I know it’s a hard one. My second knee is taking its own sweet time recovering or maybe I just wish I was further along but I do not regret the decision. In a few short weeks number 2 will be just as good as number 1! Sounds like your mind is heading in the surgery direction . Good luck!

@Zommom Great to hear from you. You've been on my mind. I wondered how you were doing and often pop in to see if you've posted. It's great that you have no regrets and by the time I have mine done you'll,be well on the road to recovery.

I have an appointment with my GP next week to get the ball rolling. The new knee is doing great apart from the IT band, but it will probably January again before the other is done so it gives me another's few months for it to settle hopefully.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Well I've taken the plunge, saw the surgeon this morning and am on the list for the other knee :yikes: He asked about me having it before Christmas, but I said I'd rather it was after because we're likely to have my son, daughter-in-law and the grandchildren with us whilst they're in the middle of having an extension to their house and having 2 very energetic young children around isn't exactly conducive to resting. :kayak::bicycle1:

I'm having some issues still with the IT band when standing from sitting or coming downstairs. He did say it could take up to 18 months to settle, but nothing that he wouldn't expect so that was reassuring.

I hope everyone else is doing ok.

I think waiting until after Christmas is a very good idea!

I am pleased to see that you have decided to go forward and get the second knee done! Glad we only have 2 knees right? I agree that after Christmas would be best. So much going on during that time along with having your family. Sorry about that darn IT band

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom