TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

That’s the way to do it. A little test here, another test there, of trying new things.

When I was at your stage, and even a few months past, if I had a day that I shopped or bowled (after 3 months) I took the next day off and rested a lot, if I could. Sometimes you have to go somewhere every day, but I tried to plan it so I could rest after a more active day.

I can’t remember how far post op I was, but I shopped at Walmart, which is always a lot of walking even with a short list, I vacuumed 2 rooms when I got home and bowled that afternoon and learned all that in one day was not in my best interest. “But it felt so good at the time” are famous last words. :heehee:

:happydance:Last scab fell off yesterday and I had a wonderful bath this morning :yes!: It felt fabulous. Knee is still a little swollen following physio so have been taking it easy the past 2 days. Hope everyone else is getting on ok.

:bath:There’s nothing like a soak in the tub! Hope to get there soon.

I have just a few scabs left so I’m thinking a week. We have a hot tub and it’s much easier for me to get and out of that so that will be my first soak. I know it will help my arthritic knee.

Yay, another victory. I got to the bottom of the stairs and realised I'd come down all 13 alternating feet without realising. I'd been doing a couple here and there, but not the whole lot and not without thinking about it carefully. :egypdance:

Yay, another victory. I got to the bottom of the stairs and realised I'd come down all 13 alternating feet without realising.
Wow, and at only 6 weeks out! What an achievement! Have you had any repercussions from the stairs? I hope not. Being able to do that without pain afterwards is a huge accomplishment. I wasn't able to do it for about 3 months. Of course, it had been 25 years before my tkr since I was able to do it, so I was happy with my 'slow' success story!

@sistersinhim I think it's 8 weeks tomorrow. The knee's slightly swollen, has been a little since physio, but no more painful than usual, which isn't bad, more uncomfortable than anything else during the day with the odd pain at certain times or when moving in a specific way. It became a little more painful yesterday when the family visited and we went out for lunch. The chairs were really uncomfortable,ended up with backache too. I was more cautious using the stairs the rest of the day, didn't want to push my luck, but managed them again this morning. :)

After 25 years not being able to use the stairs 'normally' you must have been thrilled at 3 months out. :yes!:
So glad to read that the ultrasound is helping your tendinitis. I hope they can sort out the tibial pain for you.

@Lindylee AWESOME to read about your great progress.... slow and steady wins this race for sure! Nice to accomplish and celebrate those small victories … each one a stair step to the overall recovery process. :yes!:

It became a little more painful yesterday when the family visited and we went out for lunch. The chairs were really uncomfortable,ended up with backache too. I was more cautious using the stairs the rest of the day, didn't want to push my luck, but managed them again this morning.
You did a lot of extra things in a short amount of time, no wonder you were uncomfortable. I would find a chair I could prop up on and if not that I'd sit in a booth and prop it up that way.

Being able to get out with your family for a change of scenery I really good thing! Getting back to doing normal thing is a huge mood lifter.

I had my first post surgery review this morning. OS was very pleased with progress, said ROM was excellent and wound looked really good, he could see I'd been using Bio Oil. All my aches, pains, clunks and clicks are what he'd expect at this stage and would probably carry on until 6 months out. At this stage he said they're mainly interested in the wound healing and ROM. He thought the recent feeling of something catching or not moving smoothly in the outside of the joint was as a result of all the soft tissue getting used to the change in the joint from a valgus knee and should settle. He doesn't feel he needs to see me until January. :yes!:

It wasn't until I came out that I realised he hadn't mentioned the other knee, but I'm not too bothered as I don't feel the need to rush into it. I can always ask my GP to refer me back if it becomes a problem before next January.

Well done on your checkup. If your other knee isn’t giving you too much grief hold fire on getting it done. My first TKR was two years ago, everything went fine and had practically forgotten it was a replacement—-until I got second knee done five weeks ago. Now the first knee is letting me know that it isn’t too happy with having to take the strain, it gets achy and grumbly and I certainly am aware of it now!!!

@Lilli215 That's my thought Lilli. I'd prefer the left knee to be stronger before embarking on the right. I hope your first knee soon settles.

:goodpost: Your doing well! When I saw my OS and mentioned my unoperated knees was giving me problems he said he wants to wait to do anything about it as my TKR needs more time to heel. I get that notion and I am certainly not ready to jump on getting this done probably best for you as well especially if it isn’t causing fits!

I've had a busy week with hospital appointments and physio, especially yesterday. I had a hospital appointment in the morning, hubby dropped me off and went grocery shopping and I got the bus home stopping off halfway to do a couple of errands. I prepared lunch while he had to deliver some leaflets and then did some ironing. In the evening we'd been invited to the 10th anniversary of our local cancer centre plus the opening of another floor to house the cancer Haematology unit which we had a tour of. By the time it finished my knee was pretty uncomfortable and I limped back to the car down some fairly steep slopes. It's a little swollen and uncomfortable this morning, but all in all I'm pretty pleased with how it's held up. I'm getting plenty of rest today as my husband is insisting on doing everything including making lunch for a friend coming round later. He's a treasure!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562