TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

All you described sounds right for 4 weeks. Your attitude is great.

I really struggled with my attitude. I went into this thinking I knew enough, it never occurred to me that I not only didn’t know enough, but that I actually knew very little to nothing, about what to expect from recovery. My pre op reading about partials was, unfortunately, on Orthopaedic websites promoting the quick recovery from a partial.

To say the reality was a shock is an understatement. I felt like such a failure. It will be 2 years next month. I have not yet “recovered” though I no longer feel like a failure. Something went wrong somewhere and I’ve accepted that it’s not my fault. Even with my limitations, (that I did not have before surgery), I’m much improved since that 4 week mark.

Best wishes as you continue to heal. I love reading your updates and supportive posts to others.

@Jockette Aww, thank you Jockette. I was fortunate that when I first saw my surgeon 2 years ago he was very clear that it was a painful operation, pain would continue for several months, that I could expect to be mobile in 6 weeks, hopefully doing most of my activities after 3 months, but could take anything up to a year. The hospital website also had plenty of information in the form of videos, although by the time I'd watched the surgeon detailing all the risks etc I was almost tempted to cancel!

I'm so sorry to hear of all the problems you, and others, have had. It's so easy to blame ourselves and feel a failure isn't it? I remember feeling one when I couldn't lift my leg off the bed, asked the PT if many people had problems and felt so much better when she said that most did!

I hope that your situation improves and you are able to move forwards Jockette. Has anyone come up with a solution or given you hope for the future? Take care and be kind to yourself.You are not a failure. You're a kind, warm person offering support to so many others. Bless you. :console2:

Has anyone come up with a solution or given you hope for the future?
No, no one has.

But so far I have only seen Orthopaedic surgeons. I’m convinced I have symptoms of a loose implant, but that hasn’t been confirmed. However, they have all decided this only by looking at my X-rays, and I know from other members’ experiences, that a loose implant does not always show up on an X-ray. So as far as I’m concerned, they haven’t done anything to prove that is secure.

The surgeon I saw last week suggested it is a nerve issue and to see a neurologist, so I made an appointment with one next month. (the soonest they can get me in) I do agree I have a nerve issue going on but I’m not convinced it’s just that. I still think it’s loose.

Time will tell. I do agree it’s time to see a different type of doctor.

Thanks for your kind words. :console2:

Good luck with your appointment. I hope it will be beneficial. Maybe if the neurologist doesn't find anything they will look more closely at the implant. Would a MRI or CT show it up better?

A bone scan will be informative but because my X-ray looks so good none of the surgeons think it’s necessary.

However, for my peace of mind, it is necessary. But no one will order one for me. :bawl:

That's a shame. Would you be able to fund one yourself for peace of mind?

No, I don’t want it that badly. I can’t even imagine what it would cost.

I’ll just keep keeping on and see if there’s any help from the neurologist. If not I’ll try harder to accept the situation and be glad it isn’t any worse.

Another small victory - walked home from podiatrist/chiropodist appointment, just over 2100 steps. I must be walking faster. For the first time my pedometer registered 871 aerobic steps. :spin: My podiatrist recommended I check all my shoes for wear as my gait will have changed and either discard or repair any that are worn. I never thought of that. I hate buying shoes. I've always had trouble finding comfortable ones.
I tried walking properly upstairs. It was okay, although I perhaps shouldn't have done the whole flight as I now have a swollen knee! :thud: Still,you don't know till you try, do you? :chinstroke:

Well done @Lindylee sounds like you’re doing really well. 2100 steps, that is impressive!

I think the stairs thing is a bit scary until you realise you can do it, i was the same when my hip was replaced.

I’ve jusy acccomplished 10 of each of my bed exercises and leg lifts. The bend is improving, so I’ll keep on at it. Now relaxing with a coffee and an ice pack - it all so glamorous :)

@Lindylee, I wouldn’t bother trying to compare your recovery to anyone elses. You always hear stories about this one was walking without sticks and that one was swinging from tree branches at six weeks out etc- I just plain don’t believe them! I’ve found out very quickly that I can’t even compare this TKR to my last one! My progress this time (only one week out right enough) is poor compared to last one. Only thing in common between the two procedures isthe lack of sleep!!!! District Nurse was in doing a wound check yesterday and she said I’m to uptight about abilityto do exercises and just to relax and do what I can. She says she’s never had a patient whose second op recovery can be compared to their first.

@Steph, had to laugh at your ‘glamorous’ description. I’m doing well if I can be bothered to brush my hair in the morning. My wardrobe at the mo is wide leg sweat pants and t-shirts and saving a fortune on perfume and makeup:loll:

@Steph, had to laugh at your ‘glamorous’ description. I’m doing well if I can be bothered to brush my hair in the morning. My wardrobe at the mo is wide leg sweat pants and t-shirts and saving a fortune on perfume and makeup:loll:

Haha snap! I loathe jogging bottoms but so thankful for them at the mo. I’m unable to shower at the mo as my shower is over my bath and there ain’t no way that leg is going to take the risk, so it’s a good wash down and brush the hair which makes no difference at all to the bed hair haha. I slap my face cream on so I don’t look too dead and that’s it :rotfl:

@Steph well if it’s any help I’ve got a walk in shower but it isn’t helping from a glamour point of view, not that I was very glamorous to start off with:heehee:

Hey @Lindylee
Take it easy on those stairs! I did the same thing. I discovered I could walk up the stairs “normally” (still using the hand-rail of course). There are 15 stairs going up to my office. So I wondered if I could also go down “normally”. That hurt a little bit, but not too much; until about half-way down on the third trip. Then, that nasty little rascal known as “reality” reared it’s ugly head. No permanent damage, but it pretty much grounded me for the rest of the day. So now, I do half-way, up only. I’ve gone back to the conservative approach to going down, only 2 or 3 stairs each trip. As has been stated numerous times before, this recovery process is NOT for the impatient among us, and I am probably one of the charter members of that group. I am one of those who may pray something like, “Lord, please give me patience, and I want it now”.

Remember, there are several layers (I’ve heard from 3 to 6) of stitching in the soft tissue under those surface staples that will take up to 6 months to fully dissolve, and they will be somewhat sensitive during that time. Those “little victories” are still our good friend.

@Steph Glad the bend is improving, Glamour? Whatever was that? I think mine flew out the window years ago. Yes, thanks goodness for pull-on jogging bottoms. In that respect I'm quite glad it's not summer, at least they covered my hairy legs. I'm debating whether to shave as much as I can reach avoiding the scar, but that will be a great look, I don't think. :ok:

@Lilli215 I soon decided not to compare my recovery to anyone else. When you hear such variables it makes it pointless doesn't it?

@Denny39 Yes, conservative is the way to go. I tried one step a couple of days ago and decided then that was enough, but this time it felt easier. I should have stopped halfway though. I did come down one on my unoperated leg first yesterday. That was done without thinking and although it didn't hurt, it felt a little strange so haven't done that since. I shall heed your advice! (Note to self - stop and think!)
I heard there were 5 or 6 layers of sutures too. In a way that's reassuring knowing that there are more under the skin holding everything together.

I agree it’s good to know there is more holding it together. Those staples by themselves didn’t really look too reassuring did they?

You're right there. Well, stop and think didn't last long. I went up the stairs on the one foot and coming down put the unoperated one down first automatically. :bignono: I think it's because my right is my dominant leg so tends to lead. No hope!

I did that once at about 2 months out, automatically, like you did. I almost fell! :yikes: I was also in a hurry. Big mistake.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back