BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Lindylee's recovery thread<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Lindylee, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, I had my new knee on 21st January and am keen to do all I can to gain the best possible outcome. Recovery seems to be going fairly well so far apart from sleeping. The first week was just uncomfortable but, although that's improved at night, I still can't sleep more than 2 hours. I think it's mainly that I've never had much success sleeping on my back plus the enforced inactivity. Any tips? I'm aLos experiencing an occasional clicking sensation in the knee. Is this normal? My only other problem so far is doing the seated knee extensions, which are proving to be pretty painful. I'm getting a sharp, almost burning, pain in the centre of my kneecap that then continues whilst walking, although when Imhave the pain I don't get the clicking. I wonder if it's due to the clips, as it seems to be on the surface rather than in the joint and I'm hoping it will improve after the clips are removed on Monday. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart!

Inability to sleep is very common in this recovery. Go ahead and let yourself sleep whenever and wherever you can. Take naps. Don’t try to stay awake during the day if you’re tired thinking this will make you sleep at night, for some reason, that doesn’t work with this recovery.

Clicking is normal. For most it diminishes with time and healing.
    You can hold off on doing these for a while. Pain while doing an exercise means you are not yet healed enough to handle it. You don’t need a lot of exercises this early. You need to give your body a chance to settle down from the trauma of this surgery.

This is because:

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
    Time for pain and swelling to settle.
    Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
    along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

3. Jockette

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only
    ONE Recovery Thread.
    This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

4. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

Thank you, that is really helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

If you're a side sleeper it is hard to adjust to sleeping on your back. It is tricky but there are ways to prop yourself for at least a short time on your side.

Just like Jockette said, many of us get clicking sensations early on. Mine lasted a few months with the first knee and less with the second.

• Like Like x 1
  6. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had TKR on Jan. 9th and I still have a fair amount of tightness across the knee. Today (3 weeks 3 days) it seemed to ease up noticeably. And I have the clicking too. Every day is a baby step.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

Thanks for the replies. I've been fortunate that I've had no bruising, very little swelling apart from the day I came home, but I am itching like crazy, mainly my back. I tried taking an antihistamine, Piriton, which was great and helped with sleep, but it made me so dozy when I got up in the night to go to the loo that I didn't feel very stable even using both sticks. I'm moisturising like mad, but does anyone have any other suggestions? This morning my back feels as if it has a lot of scratches on it that I hadn't realised I had put there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had itching from the pain meds in the hospital. A lot of the antihistimines that help with itching will make you drowsy. You might try something like loratadine (Claratin) but otherwise ask your pharmacist or check in with your doctor for a recommendation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    It sounds as if you're reacting to one or more of your medications. Some of the pain relievers can cause itching.
    I suggest you consult your GP, to see if he/she can help.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

I am prone to itching, have always had to use plenty of moisturiser. At one time it was suggested I might be allergic to something within my own body, hormones were suspected, which tends to tie in with the times I've suffered most. I'll check with my pharmacist, but suspect he'll suggest Piriton, so may just have to be careful if I'm feeling drowsy. As I'm not sleeping brilliantly, being drowsy might help, but not if
    I fall over...... yikes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

Staples came out easily, just a couple were a little sore. Knee feels so much easier and am able to bend the knee and walk more comfortably. Nurse said I was walking very well and very upright, which gave me a boost. I've been resting more today, as I think I probably spent too much time on it yesterday and it was quite swollen when I went to bed and very achey behind the knee, but feels so much better now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

Isn't it great when you hit another milestone? I can lift a bent leg now, makes life so much easier putting socks and shoes on. I began using my good leg to lift the operated one and gradually reducing the support the good leg gave and suddenly discovered I could do a few knee extensions. I slept better last night as well, turned the light out just after 11.00 pm & went off quite quickly, woke briefly as 12.45 but must have gone straight off again until 3.15. That seems to be my wake up call at present, but I did fall asleep again sometime after 4.30 until 6.00 ish. I'm really pleased with how things are progressing, (hope I don't live to regret saying this) but do feel for those of you having problems. On a selfish note I'm hoping this doesn't come back to bite me in the bum!

• Like Like x 3
  13. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I know what you mean! I'm a little superstitious, because it's a fact (hones!) that many times in life when I've taken note of something good, a lightning bolt has struck!! Nice that things are going well for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

Drum roll please! :wowspring:Managed 6 hours sleep last night! I still woke every 2 hours, but went back to sleep each time. First night I haven't turned the light on for at least a couple of hours. I couldn't believe it when I looked at the clock this morning :scratch:. It may be a one-off, but a step in the right direction.:egypdance:

I seem to have developed a click in my left hip now, but then the knee doesn't click when the hip does!

Anyone know when you can have a bath?

Oh, one more thing. Do you think I should change the title of my thread as the clips are out now? Maybe Recovering from TKR Jan 21st?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  15. Jockette

A change of title is fine, do you definitely want it changed?

16. skigirl

skigirl FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I changed the title for you. Just PM me if you want it changed back or to something else. A lot of folks just use Lyndelee's recovery so that friends can find you easily.

17. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Not yet.

You shouldn't immerse your knee in water until the incision is completely healed, with no scabs or open areas at all.

Bathing (or going in a pool) before the skin is completely closed would be running the risk of introducing infection - and you really don't want to do that.

When the time is right for having a bath, do make sure that you can get both into and out of the tub. Having a "dry run" while fully clothed is a good idea. It's much better to be dressed, rather than naked and wet, if you have to be rescued from the tub.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

Thank you all for your responses. I had thought of doing a dry run first, definitely don't want the fire brigade called - on the other hand........:heehee:

My itching has stopped since I finished the Co-dydramol I came out of hospital with. I've continued with the lowest dose of Co-codomol and today am trying 1 paracetemol plus 1 Co-codomol. Pain hasn't been too bad. Sometimes it's a sharper pain, but not persistent and I assume it's all the adjustments surrounding tissues need to do as everything heals and settles down. My hip is aching quite a bit though, which I suspect is due to walking differently. My left leg must be slightly longer than the right now there's space between the joint I guess. I'll be interested to see what my chiropractor says about my scoliosis when I see her next. I can walk without my stick(s), but am aware I walk better with them, so shan't be putting them aside just yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  19. Zommom

Zommom member

Glad to hear of your good night of sleep! It’s a great mood enhancer! Hope you get many more. I’m so with you on the thought of a long warm soak in a tub. It’s so cold here that I am chilled to the bone! A bath always helped. :friends:

20. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

Last night wasn't quite as good, but not bad either. I'm starting to get fidgety now. I'm not usually one for staying in a lot, guess that's a sign I'm feeling better, but better not run before I can walk. By the time I'd made my porridge, had breakfast, washed up, plumped a few cushions, got washed and dressed, did a few stretches for my back, my knee started swelling so back to the sofa to ice and elevate. I'd let the other half out for good behaviour - he was off with his cycling buddies, so had to get my own lunch and drinks. He has been spoiling me.:loveshwr:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1