LindaO - Revision on Right TKR

LindaO

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
Hi everyone! This is my second go-around with a revision to my right Total knee replacement to be completed on October 10, 2019. Having the BoneSmart family available for advice, sharing of experiences and moral support was instrumental in my previous surgeries, so I come to you once again for the camaraderie!
If I can be of assistance to anyone, please contact me! Together we can persevere!!

Welcome back, @LindaO
I'm sorry you need a revision.

Here's some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Thank you Celle! I will definitely revisit some of these articles! :D

This surgeon has mentioned doing a spinal block with an AFCN (femoral?) and saphenous block. Has anyone experienced this with their total knees and were there any complications?
Many thanks for your experiences!

Linda, sorry you are facing surgery again. We'll be here for you if you have any questions or concerns. This type of anesthetic is widely used and very good. I think you'll find it an excellent choice.

I Had a femoral nerve block in conjunction with a GA. I was still awake when the nerve block was done. I could watch on a screen as the anaesthetist inserted the needle and I saw that the needle didn't go into the nerve itself, but the anaesthetic was injected right beside the nerve.

The nerve block worked well to decrease my post-op pain for about 24 hours. I had no after-effects.

You might find some useful information in this article:
Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

Thank you Celle for the link! Great info there!

I went back and re-read my posts from my first two TKRs trying to find out what I had eaten but was unable to really find a post of what my meals were. I am trying to get prepared by freezing meals but when I think back, all I seemed to want was a Bacon and tomato sandwich on toasted bread. I think this was due to the pain meds. I always ate a cracker with my pain meds so I will stock up on those for sure.
Any suggestions on meals for those that experienced a bit of nausea and loss of appetite after surgery?

Thank you for the link Jockette! I got a lot of good ideas!!

Well I got a call from my surgeons office today. The day we chose for surgery will have to be moved as the surgeon will be away. My initial date was Oct 10th...my options are 7th, 14th, 17th. My husband travels in his job so he will be away the last two dates so will try for the 7th..
We are taking a holiday to Greece and won’t get in until after midnight Oct 6th then straight to the surgery center the next morning. I hope the universe doesn’t have delays in us getting back on time!!

Wow, what a decision!

Don’t you have special cleansing to do the day/night before surgery? I had to start prepping at 3 pm the day before my surgery.

I wouldn’t have the nerve to plan a surgery date immediately after a trip from out of the country!

I didn't have nausea with my first TKR but when I was in the hospital for something else I had zero appetite and the only thing I was willing to 'eat' was some protein shakes. So I've made sure I have plenty of them on hand just in case. That and crackers and my preferred electrolyte drink.

Well I got a call from my surgeons office today. The day we chose for surgery will have to be moved as the surgeon will be away. My initial date was Oct 10th...my options are 7th, 14th, 17th. My husband travels in his job so he will be away the last two dates so will try for the 7th..
We are taking a holiday to Greece and won’t get in until after midnight Oct 6th then straight to the surgery center the next morning. I hope the universe doesn’t have delays in us getting back on time!!
@LindaO - I don't think you'll be able to have your surgery only a few hours after your return from Greece, unless you can get all your pre-op things done before you go. How long are you going to Greece for?

You'll need blood and urine tests, possible Chest X-Ray, ECG, nasal swab, and confirmation from you doctor that you're fit for surgery, and also possibly confirmation that any necessary dental work has been done.

Then, the hospital may require you go to an information day before surgery and you'll almost certainly have to take showers with an antiseptic gel for about 3 days pre-op.

This article will help to explain:
Pre-op interviews - what's involved?

Unless it's an emergency, hospitals are usually not keen to admit someone who has recently returned from overseas, just in case you've picked up some infection while there.

Do you have anyone who could stand in for your husband, to help you while he's away?

@Celle Yes, I have informed the surgeon and his staff that I will not be back until late on the 6th. My pre-op is scheduled and I will ensure everything is in order prior to leaving. It is planned to be an outpatient surgery. I will take my hebiclens with me and start my shower preps as I travel.
Since I have already had two TKRs my surgeon is very accommodating for many things and I expect he would be on attending the class. He has said I could do my PT on my own as well so I am good with that.
Although I will go to the surgery center on my pre-op day to try to ensure everything is taken care of, I'm sure they will try to call me on the Friday before surgery on Monday. I will make sure I call THEM just to make sure they have all the information they need!
My only fear is my flight could be delayed and then I would be in a pickle!!
I am thinking about checking on the costs of moving my flight home back a few days...changing it will all depend on the cost!
Unfortunately, I live in a very small town about 1.5 hrs from Austin where my surgery will be. Although I do have someone for the day, I wouldn't have anyone that could stay with me. Definitely some things to think about. Thank you all for your advice!

If you have trip insurance, you may be able to modify your trip and have the insurance pick up any costs associated with the change.

Celle brings up an excellent point about the hospital agreeing to admit you when you've just returned from overseas. Even though your surgeon has said it's no problem, you need to check with the hospital admissions staff on that as well and get the name of the person who tells you it's okay.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom