PKR Ligament Sprain in GoodLeg

Looking forward to the May Joint Awareness Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have surgeons in the loop for this year's conference. If anyone has questions regarding partial knee replacements, they can be submitted live during the presentations.

We have specific surgeons our CEO has found who are willing to donate their time and travel to San Diego. Not all surgeons are willing to do that. Please feel free to make your doctors aware of Joint Replacement Awareness Day and BoneSmart. If they would like to participate, I'm sure Mark would love to talk with them. They could use the site's Contact Us link to get in touch with Mark Sacaris.

Thanks, @Jamie . Just assumed many/most? mds would participate via skype, videos, facetime, etc. Sounds like a great conference.

Have enjoyed reading all the new PKR threads. There’s even a bilateral PKR.

@Macknit and @luvcats your discussion of leg presses inspired me to update my own thread.
You too @Izabel with your goal setting.

Getting stronger arms and legs (have a shoulder and a foot thread also).

Deep water pool walking every other day. Now 33-35 minutes.
Between 2000 and 6000 steps a day on land.
Use the peddler one time a day or more, generally for 5 minutes.
Seeing the chiro now once a month and his tweaks are lasting the month.
Doing sets of 10-15 on the adductions and abductions machine at the gym, at 10# (lowest setting), every other day.
At home, I do as many leg lifts for the quads as I can. Lying down and seated. Do these throughout the day. Quads tested nice and strong by my OS at the last visit.
Still doing core stretches and exercises.
Still doing foot stretches and exercises. Can now wear the RX custom orthotics for 90 minutes a day.

Not shaking hands.
Washing hands.
Carry hand sanitizer with me everywhere.
Looks like St Patrick’s Day, St Joseph’s Day, and all Easter events will be online for me.
Hope everyone is continuing to improve and staying safe.

Last edited:
Oh I get it!!!

My husband was upset when I pet a neighbor's dog!!! I even had gloves on....then he promptly came home and found an article that was in Hong Kong, where a dog tested positive for COVID-19 and they are doing further tests to see if he got it from a human or vice versa!?

Now we can't even touch the animals??? What would St. Francis think??

Oh, good grief, @Macknit !

ConsciousCat.com recently posted a link to an extensive, valudated US study of thousands of pet animals and all were negative, even negative as carriers. Did you see this. @luvcats ?

Our Y gym and pool just closed, so I am walking and using the peddler. Might put on my 1.5 snorkeling wetsuit tomorrow and get in my own pool.

Here I am out for a walk
:)>123456<:)

PS Forgot to add that our Y is closing to patrons, but is going to provide child care in the buildings for children of health care workers.

Last edited:
Yay!! I'm so glad to hear that....it just goes to show you all the misinformation out there right now. However, my hands are the cleanest they have ever been....and I'm still working everyday. So, of course DH always asks if I washed my hands when I came home....I tell him yes, but then I pet all the dogs on my walk!

As you can guess, he is one of "those" and is not fond of animals to begin with (just ask him how he survived the 90's when we had 32 sheep, a border collie, 2 dairy cows, 20 chickens, multiple barn cats, and a llama!?) Of course, I was the impetus behind all of that, but we didn't get any "novel" diseases from them!

PS, did you know that there is a St. Corona??? Google it, he is for treasure hunters, HA!

My knee is still slow, but definitely pulling out of it's stall I'm walking every day for about 20 minutes, and about 45 minutes on the weekend....still sensitive at the end of day. But better than a few weeks ago!

I did see that. I'm very glad no one is going to be persecuting the critters.
Our rec center is closed. I'm down to walking alone, so of course today it is too muggy for me to go walking. I do so very badly in the humidity.

I'm down to walking alone
walking every day
So glad you are both walking when the knees and weather permit.
Weather here is warm enoughthat by 2pm, my unheated pool reached 76—warm enough for me to walk in wearing a 1.5 snorkeling wetsuit (pants and vest). Clearly climate change is giving us warmer weather. We are having April in March.
It struck me today that we all used to be sort of alone in these joint journeys, and now it seems the whole world is home in a sort of recovery cycle.

PS What a wonderful array of animals you have shared your life with, @Macknit

It is very interesting reading about all the partial knee replacement recoveries here now.

I am still pool walking, six days a week now.

Still trying to find shoes that my feet and knees like.
Presently trying these indoors ( in case I need to return them):
>>Brooks Adrenaline 20 (stability) with the new Guide Rails instead of rollbars/posts, a mesh upper, and lots of full foot cushioning. So far, the knees love these.
>>New Balance 847v3 (motion control walking) with roll bar, combo mesh and leather upper, and cushioning. Loved all the 846s and 847v1, hated the 847v1&2. Nice big & high toebox. Might be too bug on the right foot. Left (injured) foot likes them so far.

Too big, not too bug LOL

Still doing leg lifts for quad strength and being careful to avoid twisting.

1 Year Anniversary of Left PKR March 27
Yes, this is May. Completely went by the year’s anniversary of my left lateral PKR. Had no problems with that surgery, recovery, knee, or leg since. It is the knee who kept getting pushed in the background while my aching left foot bunion and PTT and right knee medial ligament sprain took all the attention.
And it was done 7 weeks before my shoulder rotator cuff surgery.
So, thank you left PKR for such a calm recovery.

Should have added knock on wood & Hail Marys

I have recently added magnesium glyconate capsules and think my legs feel better. All the other magnesium tablets (sulfate, oxide, chloride) upset my stomach. The glyconate do not. Directions say 3 a day, but I’m only taking one with dinner, as I am very sensitive to everything. Even multi-vitamins bother me (do not take them). Whenever I have surgery, they cannot believe how tiny a dose of anything knocks me out. They expect me to yell “ouch” or bite them, but I am truly out.

And, following @luvcats lead, have ordered a magnesium chloride oil in spray form from Amazon. And now eat banana everyday. Vitamin D3, Potassium (in food form), and magnesium seem to be what I need a bit of. I think it is @Elf1 that mentioned the mag gluconate.

The Brooks Adrenaline shoes are wonderful. My left foot needs a bit more arch support, but the custom orthotics seem to add too much, so I am using just a Dr Scholl’s.

I think the New Balance 847v3 shoes might be either too long or too wide for the right foot, but the Left (bigger and injured) foot loves them, so I’m trying them with a thicker sock. Still just in the house as I am still within the “able to return“ window. If I wear the Brooks Adrenaline 20 all day, my feet are swollen by dinnertime, so I switch to the New Balance and both feet (because they are swollen?) feel wonderful in them.

Last edited:
:wave: As I just wrote my 9 month post op blog I remembered all the kind and encouraging words you posted to help xx
How are you doing? I follow your progress and :praying: that you are well amongst this weird strange new phase in our lives.
Keep in touch and have a fun weekend xxx

@Sara61 Thanks for visiting! How nice to hear from you. Glad to hear you are doing so well and inspiring others.

It is still “all things covid” here. Thankfully, though, I am able to walk outdoors everyday and in the pool everyday.

PS (@Macknit @Jockette ) for the continuing foot saga:
-I returned the New Balance (just did not fit my feet)
-I still like the Brooks Adrenaline (stability shoe) and think the new Brooks guide rails system has helped me improve. I can now wear these with my orthotics for daily activities and occasionally for an extended walk.
-I added the Brooks Ariel (motion control shoe) which also uses the new guide rails system ; similar to the Adrenaline, but beefier/more supportive (not heavier); more expensive than the Adrenaline, but has more cushioning and better cushioning. I have not felt I needed the orthotics in these yet.

I updated my Other/Foot thread recently and decided to also share here:
My OS prescribed a custom Rx carbon fiber strut, called a Noodle, LOL. It straightens the heel/ankle which is ever so slightly off, due to the tear in the posterior tibial tendon (PTT). They are used for a variety of foot/ankle injuries.
I cannot believe how much better my gait is! I am now walking almost normally--and can walk 1.5 to 2 miles a day! It even helps my plantar fasciitis!
If you search The Noodle online, it should go to Kinetic Research in Tampa, Florida. Their carbon fiber is supposedly more reactive/springy than others. Mine is very comfortable. They make over the counter and custom Rx versions. I see lots of runners wearing them.
I am looking forward to more and better walking in 2021, and hope you can as well.
I wish everyone a safe and healthy New Year.

Last edited:
I'm going to check out the Noodle. It sounds like it works well.

I haven't visited here for awhile, came back to check on a couple of folks I found myself thinking of, and thought I should add a note to my own thread, as well.
Last year, I had foot tendon repair surgery* ( *Please add this surgery to my list: Tibial Tendon Repair, Right foot, July 26, 2021) and that was more difficult than the knees or shoulder because of the long period of non-weightbearing required. It healed well, but I'm continuing to rebuild both stamina and strength in that foot and leg.
This year, 2022, I'm enjoying not having ANY
surgeries (knocking on wood, fingers crossed, & saying Hail Mary's) and focused on not getting Covid, so am masked and avoid people indoors and am quite happy to continue doing both; my husband and I have not had it either, nor do we want to. Ditto on the knock on wood, fingers crossed, and Hail Mary's.
My knees and shoulder feel fine. No pain. I no longer need the Noodle on the left foot. The left foot PTT is still torn and still slightly attached, but I wear NB1540v3 motion control shoes with custom orthotics, do the exercises in the Foot Fix book, seldom have pain, except occasional bunion issues, and so have put any thought of foot surgeries on hold.
I am still walking most days, both on land, and in the pool.
Glad Bonesmarties are still here.

Last edited:
Nice to hear from you, I’m glad things are going well! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back