PKR Ligament Sprain in GoodLeg

@wanttowalk
After going through these forums PKR, experiences, I am wondering if the results of PKR match the TKNR.. it is worth it in the long run?

It is so difficult to know, it seems. Better to lose healthy ligaments? Better to avoid a second surgery? Don’t know.

I am knock Kneed and have lateral PKRs (Read my whole knee thread for details if you wish). Versus your bow-legs &medials. The surgeries and initial recoveries from both PKRs were positive and brief. My recent left PKR (8 mos) seems great. My right is now 19 months and I sprained the medial ligament in that knee 5 months ago and the recovery from that has been more painful than the PKRs and ongoing. The ligament healed, but it still hurts. Is it arthritis in that compartment? Is it just the trauma from the ligament? Can’t say yet.

Have to look forward, not back.
Wishing you a comfortable and speedy recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to update you on the mini bike- yesterday being day 1 - whilst chatting on the phone I accidentally pedalled for nearly 30 minutes ( no effort at all) I then at lunch time walked my daschund for 20 minutes so a total of 50 minutes exercise decided that was sufficient for day 1 - however I slept so well & only woke up once and funnily enough this morning I felt more flexible getting up and Mrs. knee was not so stiff.
I have PT today in the afternoon so this morning whilst watching the news I did 15 minutes ( only 77 calories lol) and it felt good - my aim is do on average 45 minutes a day non PT days at 0 resistance- however as we are going away for Xmas next week I will make a plan today with my physiotherapist as I intend to take mini bike with me - will let you know what he suggests.
Couple of pointers to consider - make sure your mini bike has pedals fairly high of the ground you don't want to hit your heels on the floor ( I always say you get what you pay for... so the really cheap models might be flimsy) also I find that I have to put mine in front of a non moving object as it slips on my floor. Also make sure the feet straps are flexible - mine aren't so I actually peddled bare foot this morning but can use with my addidas with a squeeze.
Anyway hope this helps xx

Thanks @Sara61 for the followup and especially the details about the distance between the pedals and the floor and the flexible straps. Yours sounds like it is enhancing your flexibility, which is wonderful.
I rested the foot and the knee after their respective injections on Monday. Today, Thursday, I did deep water walking at the heated Y pool. I DID NOT OVERDO, which took extreme willpower (@Macknit @Neesie @luvcats someone was knitting poolside). I could have stayed in for hours; fantasized swimming laps.

Your welcome ! Unfortunately I dislike indoor public pools and it's a tad too cold to use my pool (not heated) but maybe next year will 'bite the bullet' and join a Aquabike class only once my PT gives the ok.
Knee a bit sore tonight but I have been on it most of the day.
Sounds like you had a good day xx

I have done the poolside knitting! :swim:

I miss getting in the warm water...we have one at the PT clinic, but they wanted me to do other stretching in the rehab center! It is a nice relaxing way to strengthen too! Maybe after the first of the year as it helps my back too!

I try to avoid indoor pools as well @Sara61 . Got pneumonia once. I never had bronchitis, but was exposed to the bacterial pneumonia—and have not ever taken my lungs for granted after that near-death experience.
It is warm where I live (Florida, USA)—more like @Izabel —and the Y pool is outdoors, in the sun, heated to 81-83, also covered at night, and surrounded by 3 buildings that shield it from the wind, plus a pretty view of trees, so I go there in the winter when our pool gets too cold (not heated).
The idea of an aquabike class is interesting! I have heard of PT pools with underwater treadmills, but not that.
My knee spoke to me a bit last night and this morning, so I am definitely not “diving in” everyday yet. And I have one more Euflexxa injection to go, so I am resting the knee a bit more. My OS says in 6 mos, he wants me to try a different brand (same natural ingredients) which I believe requires only a single dose. Poking even a tiny needle in aggravated tissue seems counterintuitive to me, so I will try it. When I get the name, I will ask Josephine about it.
On the good side, the area on the knee that hurt had been the whole inside, and now it is about the size of a quarter on the lower front inside, so.... Also good is that my back and the rest of the body loved being in the pool, as @Macknit mentioned. And I was careful to avoid no no’s with the shoulder.
I am also always tweaking my food choices to try to avoid any arthritis aggravation. I eliminated white sugar (the sugar gods are always tempting me) and starting yesterday, I even am skipping my fresh fruit for a few days. Will add the berries back in soon.
I usually have soy milk in my coffee and on my oatmeal, but I am skipping that also for a bit as a trial.
In my Other/Foot/PosteriaTibialTendinitis(PTT)thread , @Jockette shared her trial of herbal tea for the same, which has inspired several of us. . C14F17BE-2BEE-45B0-A978-1C6F581BD5A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, @Macknit & @Sara61 we all want to just be well and active right now!
My beloved encouraged me to let go of wanting and needing, to feel the weight of those lifting, and then to just accept what is right now, and do what I can. Liberating, really.

I think @ Izabel and @sistersinhim model this

Amen!!! It is definitely a mindfulness approach, which I am working on for so many things! Aging, :oyvey:eating in a really mindful way, PAIN :what::shrug: I definitely have a goal to work on, your quote encourages me:

to let go of wanting and needing, to feel the weight of those lifting, and then to just accept what is right now, and do what I can.

What I've found that I do with mindfulness, or prayer even for that matter (because I really see them as very similar concepts...when you look at the lives of people like St. Francis or the Jesuits their prayers are the most mindful and accepting I've observed) Anyway, I digress...:) I tend to get caught up in doing mindfulness right, which misses the entire point. Doesn't it? I am better now than I was even 5 years ago HOWEVER! I am a continual work in progress....and that concept alone has me growing toward acceptance of all those other things!! Currently, pain is the most recent companion that I am working on! :carols:

Oh, knit the Jesuits and St Francis are major influences on us!

I considered skipping the Y pool today, fearing too many kids as it is Saturday and the cardio area is closed this week for refurbishing. But I went and it was just me and the lifeguard! And I did not overdo, and came home and iced.
So I am sticking to the every other day.

My food changes may also be helping.My walk was better this morning. I’m also limiting the duration of my standing (to help the foot and knee/leg) which right now is mostly for putting ornaments on the tree and some food prep.

And I ordered a portable floor peddler on the theory that it could add a bit more non-weight bearing motion, even if I only use the left most recent PKR leg. And @Sara61 I absolutely will follow the BS recovery (not training!) guidelines.

Yay for your influences, we all continue to learn from these dear people!

What a blessing to be the only one in the pool! I am really working on the food changes, but I think it is an area that will need a lot of work in the near future! My workplace is 10x worse than my home! I do think the tumeric has helped, but I definitely notice when I give in to the sweets at work, my pain levels from the arthritis increases.

I like the portable floor peddler idea! That might be a good thing for work...in a month or two. I still have to watch my knee activity!

Sounds like you've had a lovely Saturday! (My boys arrive in town this evening...I am so excited, it's been a whole year since I saw them last!)

So the folding floor peddler (Drive Medical) arrived and has been cautiously introduced to the knees. I did a search and got
Best Pedal Exercisers & Under Desk Bikes (2019 Top Picks) gymperson.com.
This was a best budget top choice ($30 US) for people who might not like it and are okay with low resistance levels. Good recs and info there also for other beefier models, and magnetic models.
I am experimenting with different places and chairs and angles to use with it. All of life seems to feature math and physics. The pedal height is fine, but the straps are a bit on the small side even at the larger adjustment. They are stretchy plastic, though, so I can make them work, or just use the pedal without them as I am peddling slowly.
So far, sitting on the high chairs at the breakfast table, which makes it more of an upright bike, seems to work the best. I am able to do full cycles which the still tender right knee couldn’t do at the gym on the recumbent, but the lowest resistance was 1, not 0, so that may be why. I have also had fluid removed again (sigh), and gotten the 3rd Euflexxa injection, so mixed blessings there. But, it does feel better.
I have done 100 steps/count at a time, once the first night I got it, and twice the second day, and these times, I set a timer for 2 minutes. I think it will be a useful addition to my effort to move more and rebuild the strength in the legs.
Thanks to everyone who gave me input on buying and using one.

1577096397567.png

Marie
Sending you and Husband a special wish for a peaceful holiday season.

Hugs and kisses,
Izzy xx

I was told to place my peddler lways in front of a non moving object ( ie wall / dresser) as the are light they tend to move whilst peddlingalso my PT instructor told me that my knee should be bent comfortably no more than 90 degrees and the last 10 minutes my knee should be fairly straight ( distance) to help the extension - if at anytime you feel pain -stop and alter your position x
Good luck and happy :biking:

I do think the Euflexxa injections have helped my knee feel more fluid (less scrunchy/catchy). No magic solution, but between that and switching to the 650mg tylenol that is timed-released, I am moving more at least. I dislike taking any drugs, but the Celebrex and this formulation of tylenol (acetaminophen) seem to agree with me.
Patience patience patience.
So I’m pool walking in deep water every other day; doing more walking, but in more frequent, shorter stints; and using the peddler daily in short stints. And continuing all the quad, hamstring, core, glute, flexor, and now, inner leg muscle stretches and strengthening exercises.
@Sara61 thanks for the peddler tips

Last edited:
@Jamie, do you know of any BoneSmarties who have had both a lateral and a medial PKR in the same knee?

Thanks!

No, I've heard some surgeons who talk about doing multiple PKRs, but most just go straight to a full TKR when problems pop up in another knee compartment. Who want's to keep having a bunch of surgery?

Thanks, @Jamie I poked through all the threads/searches and couldn’t find anyone.

Thanks @Izabel for the visit and the kind thoughts.

I decided to visit a chiropractor, which I haven’t done since the 1980s/early 90s. @luvcats and @Jockette mentioned chiros favorably in their threads. I thought some misalignment might be affecting my gait.

First session was an evaluation and spine and hip alignment. My aching left foot and aching right knee were causing me to compensate by contracting my right hip, making that leg seem shorter.
He wasn’t sure if his adjustments would hold.

Went back (within a week) feeling better, with lower back and hips looser and more relaxed. The hips were balanced this time, and the legs even. Not dancing cat yet, but hope, at least.. (See my Foot/PTT thread for possible positive affect on the aching foot).
So for now, continuing small adjustments to promote balance.

He encouraged me to keep using the pool, to wear my supportive shoes without any additions such as orthotics or otc supports (to avoid additional variables—@Motherbone and/or @Macknit have talked with me about orthotics), and continue my exercises and stretches for the core and legs. He will suggest specific exercises when I have achieved and sustained balance. I go back in a week.

I paid for the evaluation. My secondary doesn’t cover chiropractic. Medicare pays 80% of the adjustments, */-, so my 20+% is expected to be $6 to $12 for those. Submitted but not processed yet.

Last edited:
I decided to visit a chiropractor, which I haven’t done since the 1980s/early 90s. @luvcats and @Jockette mentioned chiros favorably in their threads. I thought some misalignment might be affecting my gait.

I too have considered this as my hips are slightly off. An ex-member SwampHiker, I believe went down this route and it straightened her out. Will still keep this in mind.

@Izabel thanks for visiting
I definitely feel more level, especially in the hips. The whole lower spine feels much less stiff. He doesn’t actually touch the spine. He presses next to it. And the table moves in a gentle wave motion for part of it; this felt particularly good.
Because my husband had already gone to this particular person and found him credible, I was willing to try. In the past, although I had not been treated by him, I had gone to his massage therapist. This would be more effective now as he would leave specific directions for her. Not there yet. He wants to do only the balancing right now. He did suggest I increase the pelvic tilt exercises I had started. My recovering shoulder complicates things as I can only be on my stomach for a bit, but he was ultra careful in just exactly how I did lay down.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bonehenge
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom