PKR Ligament Sprain in GoodLeg

11-20-19 Update on my return to the gym

I resumed my gym activities this month. It has taken me 3 weeks to figure out a pace/schedule that works.

These are what my body likes:
-Going every other day, which ends up being 3x week;
-Gradually increasing the time on the machines;
-Gradually, in the middle of the total time, introducing some time at faster speeds (NOT higher/harder levels of resistance/intensity);
-A combination of seated elliptical, seated NuStep, and treadmill.
-Doing the three machines with stretches at the gym before and after;
-Doing core, glute, and hip flexor stretches and strengthening exercises most/all mornings( I go to the gym right after lunch);
-Wearing the new orthotics for the workouts.

These are what my body dislikes:
-Going 2 days in a row;
-Increasing the level on the s elliptical and s NuStep
-Doing the shoulder exercises in addition to the 3 machines

I think doing the shoulder work at home on the alternating days from gym treks—because they involve so much standing—works best for me.

My OS always advises me to increase the time/amount/number of repetitions when exercising before increasing the level of intensity/weight. For me, following this advice using the 3 machines has produced the best results.

I am still very gradually getting used to the revised orthotics, still do not wear them all day, but now prefer wearing them to the gym or when I will be walking. The md foot dr who made them (using PAL company product) says that custom ones over time can correct mechanical problems (versus OTC which provide comfort/relief regarding same).

I think it was @luvcats sharing her increasing levels and time;
@Carole4815 sharing returning to the gym; and @Macknit and/or @knee#2 mentioning orthotics and adding timed walking. Reading these inspired me to share this. Thanks to all.

Last edited:
This all sounds too much and WAY too energetic for me Marie! :flabber: However, it is great if it works for you.

Hugs Flowers.jpeg Izzy xx

Thanks for visiting, @Izabel and bringing flowers and hugs. You are so sweetly cheerful.

I don’t care how much or how fast. I just focus on moving.

I’m gradually introducing the treadmill so some of the motion is upright and weight bearing.

I feel like everything got stiff and lost strength from the sitting and lying down of the three surgeries and recoveries, albeit necessary for healing and regaining stamina. I know you know what I mean!

My OS always advises me to increase the time/amount/number of repetitions when exercising before increasing the level of intensity/weight.

Thanks for passing this along. I upped my resistance on the seated elliptical just a smidge and my body definitely told me off about it.

I'm so glad your program is working well for you!

We celebrate both the Canadian (October) and the United States versions of Thanksgiving. Why not? We have some turkey and seasonal holiday decorative things that I got out, which became therapy. I could only carry one thing at a time, because of the shoulder, so I made lots of walking trips, which helped the legs and knees.

I am walking better. I added a couple of trunk stability exercises. I am not sure if those made a difference, but my perpetually stiff lower lumbar region (osteoarthritis) feels more relaxed, which has made my gait smoother.

And months ago, @winemama mentioned using a weighted blanket. I just got one and thought the knees would dislike it. Just the opposite! I have it sideways over my body from my chest to my ankles. I got a 12lb which is on the lighter side.
My feet didn’t like it and I didn’t want it near my recovering shoulder, but it is very calming. It has improved my sleep.

Last edited:
I thought of Macknit, [/USER], luvcats, and Neesie —before I saw you, @Helizabug — the last time I was at the Y gym (which they renamed Wellness Center this week).
There was a big sign advertising the Knitting/Sewing/Quilting group. And they were up to their ears in wool (probably acrylic—it’s Florida) as I went by. Also glimpsed a lovely flowered cane leaning against a table, so there’s probably a new joint imbedded in someone in there.

Also saw the NYT article about the mom who knitted turkey hats for daughter and 3 friends for the marathon—LOL, daughter wanted them to resemble cooked turkeys with drumsticks! Mom came through of course.

My drawing got me through my PKRs, but after the shoulder surgery I had to get by squeezing play dough. I love the idea of doing something with the eyes and hands during that “can’t focus on anything” period of the recovery—and forever after. I have recharged my Apple pencil and am beginning to draw again as shoulder recovery progresses. Sometimes I stand on one leg to practice leg strength and balance while drawing, so I don’t forget and sit too long.

PS I thought of Izabel and Sara61 when I left the Y and there was a Ferrari in the parking lot.

Also glimpsed a lovely flowered cane leaning against a table

I have a dozen floral ones, different ones for different outfits. Can't wait to use them rather than the unglamorous elbow crutches. Here are a few ... Grapes, Cheetah, Florals ... they all have names too! There's Miss Kitty, Ole Blue, Peaches, Justin (just in case) ... :heehee:

1574688261794.png 1574688337179.png 1574688474463.png 1574688509461.png 1574688337179.png 1574688628682.png

1574689203611.png Izzy xx

Attachments

• 1574688566999.png
    1574688566999.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 127
Oh, @Izabel they are gorgeous! I love wearing clothes that match. And your canes have names! Tres chic! Mine is purple, so I think I will christen her Violet.
My first PKR had a shiny deep blue one, which is pretty and still works—hmm Electra (Electra Glide in Blue?), but I’m not a blue person, so my second PKR got Violet.

I think that when you care what color your cane is, you are getting better.

Thanks for sharing!

A dear friend of mine has everything purple....she would love to meet "Violet", but @ Izabel am so envious.....my is just yucky aluminum! So I just got over her ...very quickly!

@marieltha I am glad to hear the timed steps (every hour) has helped...it really is an extra plus for me, when I'm sitting at a computer and I start to stiffen up (everywhere!)

Now if only walkers could come in those pretty flowered prints!! Maybe they do, I’ve never looked.
Perhaps decals?
Okay, had a quick play around ...
I'm thinking little jewels down the front legs and ribbon threaded through the basket? The flower is a good start. lol

My cane is just black. They don't make heavy duty canes in fun colors and patterns. But it's only now I'll be using it long enough to fuss over. I'm definitely thinking some decals for the trip!
Edited to say I have ordered vinyl cat decals to decorate for the trip!

Last edited:
@sondrals We’re talking about pretty canes, these last few posts and I thought of you.

It’s the little things, right?! I just might get a pretty cane for next time. I usually “make do” with what I have, to be economical, but I think a perk like this will be a good investment in my mental/emotional aspect. And if I use it longer than “people” think I should, I can just say it’s too pretty to put away!

Last edited:
Now if only walkers could come in those pretty flowered prints!! Maybe they do, I’ve never looked.
I remember a few years ago a member who had her tkr right close to Christmas was really down in the dumps. Her family decorated her walker up with Christmas decorations while she was napping. She said it really lifted her spirits. It's the little things...! I wish I could find that photo to show you girls but it was too long ago to even remember which year it was.

@Jockette haha Thanks for thinking of me! I have a purple cane, well two of them actually, both purple. I mistakenly bought a hurry cane first and while it worked well they do not make ice tips for them so I ended up getting a different one for winter. I saw some cute ones on Amazon but stuck with "plain" purple lol

I am pleased to share that for the first time since March, before my left PKR and rotator cuff repair surgeries, I have gone grocery shopping with my husband. I love to shop for food and have missed this. We buy 2 weeks’ worth at a time.
The plan was for me to have my own basket and to get the fresh fruit and vegetables (near the door), the cat food, tea, and my personal things (contact lens solution, etc), which would get me to the middle of the store. There’s a little cafe there and I’d get coffee and sit. Meanwhile, he would buy all the rest and then meet me.
I was very careful to pick up everything with my left hand. The right shoulder was okay, though.
I walked stiffly, and the gait still needs improvement, but I did just fine.
And LOL, even though we now have a fully stocked frig and pantry, we are not cooking our Thanksgiving dinner this year. I did all the cooking for us for the first 46+ years and he has cooked all our meals this last year and a half. We both feel like a relaxed day of giving thanks.

So we will make our own fresh salads, but we have ordered fresh roasted turkey from a local place we love. We are pescatarian so to have turkey is unusual/very rare. Our cat is about to have her first taste of such turkey! She loves cat food turkey and giblets, so we think my Nurse Cat will give thanks this year as well.

Last edited:
Who knew we could be so pleased to go grocery shopping?! That sounds like a wonderful outing. I'm so pleased your walking is coming along.

I enjoy every minute that I walk at what I think of as 'normal human' pace standing fully upright and not hunched in pain. Such a miracle.

12-10-19 update
The medial area of the right knee still hurts.
The first Euflexxa (Series of 3, a week apart) really improved the feeling/range of motion. I got the second yesterday.
But, I may have joined @Macknit in the ODIC, because I also had accumulated fluid again. Drained that. No infection. Might be the ongoing trauma from the ligament sprain and recovery, might be the arthritis degenerating, might be too much at the gym ... Is there a full moon?
So I&E big time for a few days (see Foot Posterior Tibial Tendinitis thread also). Then, I’m going to resume pool walking again and save my weight bearing walking for important day to day things like decorating the tree.
e. CB449547-AB74-4384-A1FF-6F658D6FA55E.jpeg
image: Great Speedbump—posted in my OS’s office

Hi there I posted more of my ongoing leg, foot issues in your PTT thread my foots behaving but hoo-wee I fear I'm now a lifetime member of ODIC!? :oyvey:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88