PKR Ligament Sprain in GoodLeg

You’re welcome! It took me a while before I thought to rotate my phone!
Jockette, can you please give me the link about how to quote or tell me where it is? I followed MacKnit’s directions and it is working, but when I went to review the whole article, I couldn’t find it. I found the Library Index but nothing under Quoting. Tried “How to use this Forum” and got the big “Oops” . Thanks!

I don’t understand, you quoted me fine.

Correct. The iOS update. I think it just worked here. It might be just the ipad, which also just changed. Thanks!
I’ve had issues here on the forum since the iOS update that I don’t have anywhere else on my phone or on other websites.

Oh, thanks! I am glad the quote came through. Perhaps I have got the hang of it—and/or the revision of the iOS update may have cleared up some glitches. I couldn’t use Reader View (available on some sites/articles) on the update, but now, after the revision, that works.
Thanks again!

Update after Followup 11-7-19 w OS
-Well, technically, it was a shoulder surgery (RCR thread) followup, but those diva knees and left foot got their share of attention.
-My left PKR is doing great, right on schedule (7.5 months);
-My right knee did not accumulate any more fluid, but was still a bit inflamed. He suggested I do a round of 3 Eufflexxa injections, which I got for years with instant improvement. But he had to order it (will arrive Monday), and goes on vacation next Tuesday. So he gave me a booster of cortisone in the right knee. If it gives me comfort now, I can go back in December for the Eufflexor. That always gives me an instant fluid, lubricated feel. He offered, however, to add me to his Monday schedule for it, if needed. Iced yesterday and this am. Pool walking later today (deep water). It already feels much improved.
-Foot (PTT thread) is stable. He cautioned me to do an even slower break-in period for the RX orthotics than the foot md advised (that dr’s schedule is 2-months, an hour or so, every day or every other day, normal daily living, not exercise walks for the first month, maybe longer).
My OS says that if it makes the arch in my left foot hurt, it can affect the recovering left PKR. 29DB2516-FDFC-4C13-98D5-57F838045FCC.gif He is not a big fan of custom orthotics, but my feel are so different, I chose to go that route. It has taken several redos to get them comfy enough for me.
So, the OS says to go very, very slowly. If the arch hurts at all, stop the break-in for a few days. He did watch me stand and walk in them and said that the latest redo looks good: Legs are straight. Feet/arches are supported.

As to my recent return to the gym, he advised using the seated elliptical and nustep as long as I listen to the knees. And, the shoulder is now strong enough, that IF IF IF I get on and off carefully, I can begin to use a treadmill, starting at a slow speed. Again, listen to the knees.

So, with a lot of Hail Marys and knock-on-woods, I feel encouraged.

Last edited:
@Motherbone my OS said he thought you could do as well with quality firm arch OTC ones if you knew what your feet needed. He is an interesting person to have as an OS as he has arthritis and tendinitis, so he is always researching treatments and approaches for both.

With each of my feet needing something different, I found myself spending a lot of money on the better OTC orthotics. And they should be replaced every 6 months. And I couldn’t seem to find any that would support the arch, especially the left arch with the PTT, be cushioned enough for the heels, and be tolerated by the bunions. Too soft or too hard. One foot or the other was always unhappy/unbalanced.

At least with the custom ones, after the multiple revisions, each unique foot finally feels like it is supported.

Last edited:
With your feet so very different, I can't see how custom wouldn't be the correct answer. It's good you have a doctor who has worked so closely with you to fit them several times. The last time I tried to do custom the people I worked with were not good about helping me fine tune. Such a waste.

I used the seated NuStep and the seated elliptical again yesterday at the gym. This time, I did not do the shoulder exercises afterwards as I think my knees didn’t like the standing after the machines. Instead, I did @luvcats PT person’s half steps and stretches.

And, I got on the treadmill !!!!!!!
I waited for the one next to my Beloved.
I was very careful getting on and off.
And I walked slowly, emphasizing posture and heel-toe.
I did 9 minutes!!!!!!!

@marieltha Good job on the treadmill! It is just those small steps that lighten our spirits, isn't it?

I've begun short bits of my walking route with DH. He's so good about not overdoing it....told me at 1/10th of the distance, OK, time for you to go home! It really was a good distance, no pain so far, and I'll spend my afternoon I & E & knitting :yes:!

I told my PT guy he's now world famous for the 'deconstructed walk' exercise. He was very flattered to know we all use it!

Now the treadmill! How exciting.

Went to the gym again yesterday: 2 days in a row! Decided to be cautious and did a total of 30 minutes, 10 on each machine: Seated elliptical, seated NuStep, and Treadmill. Seems to have been plenty.

Enjoying a leg rest day today, although I ventured down the driveway and along the sidewalk a bit and back. @Carole4815 I thought of you, as I very much miss just walking.
. 0EC0EDD8-18C8-449D-BE18-6C4AC195FCDE.jpeg
I haven’t gotten the herd of reindeer out yet @luvcats but I so love this purple one that I leave it out all year and decorate it seasonally to justify that.

@sondrals
Here is how luvcats described it on Oct13 in my thread:
One of the exercises that my PT has me doing is to break down the stride by doing it repetitively with one leg. So, feet together, then step forward with one leg, heel strike and shift your weight partially until the back foot is flexing up, and then step back with the same leg, shifting your weight until the off foot is starting to rock up. The repeat with the same leg. Basically, half a 'walk'. I'm finding this helpful in figuring out the problem areas and then retraining them. I'm going to add your longer back stride to this process. I have a short stride on one side and insanely tight hip muscles on the other. But it's getting steadily better.

I do this both forward and back. And I try to practice walking/the gait somewhere (mirror or reflection in a glass door) out of harm’s way where I can see my whole body. Mantra: Posture. Heel toe. Hips moving forward not side to side.
Charm school practice. Slow walking.
One of my surprises was that in my refIection I could see I was walking with my feet/legs further apart than normal. Balance? Holdover from big knee feeling? No idea. It didn’t look like my walk at all. Just walking with my legs closer has helped me.

I so love this purple one that I leave it out all year and decorate it seasonally to justify that.
I love that. I have a Figment from Epcot who happens to be wearing a Santa hat. I just remember that a good imagination can make it Christmas any time of year. And dress how you want. lol

@babblyone mentioned stiffness.
So many of us deal with stiffness.
Before and after surgeries in my case. @luvcats and @sondrals have been discussing not only stiffness, but also those random/new/returning aches from other body parts. These overlap with stiffness in my case. At the moment, I’m doing the quad stretches more often, especially as I have started short stints on the treadmill.
And as we are beginning to have night temps in the upper 50s—this is really chilly for me LOL—I have started using moist heat again. And doing more calf massages.
Rested yesterday. Still walked 3,500 steps. Returned to the gym today. Even wore the newly revised orthotics there and they felt good. Super slow break in though.

@russianblu , you were asking about getting into your pool.
Our pool does not have rails. My husband places 2 heavy teak patio arm chairs facing each other that I can hold the arms of while I step down backwards to the top one (sometimes two) steps, one foot at a time. Then I turn sideways and keep holding the edge for the lower steps. I need 2 chairs because my right shoulder was operated on, but having the two, with a space in between gives me lots to hold on to as I get out.
Stepping down backwards sounds scary, but I was told some find it easier, as long as you are holding on. At first, he was in the water behind me on a lower step, but I could do it by myself pretty quickly.

@luvcats you mentioned being cold and said you had walked in the pool for 30 minutes

I always have something on my head when walking in the pool as I lose body heat pretty quickly in water. I wear a scarf sometimes. Or one of those inexpensive wide fleece headbands. I often wear a hoodie water shirt over my suit and just put the hood up.

I've been seeing my chiropractor more regularly than usual. Learning to walk and be in balance is complicate! Right now he has to invent new thechniques to realign my feet without any strain on the knees.

My cold issues aren't related to the pool. I do get a little chilled in the pool, but I always spend a while in the dry sauna after my shower to get warmed up again. Thursday I left without my coat because I was so toasty!

I'm just generally feeling the cold a lot more than I ever have. I usually run hot. I don't even put on a long sleeve shirt until it's below 65. But this year I'm wearing my sweaters constantly. I even knit myself a hat, and I loathe hats.

Oh, I love hats, @luvcats but thankfully, they are mostly sunhats.

Even in the very warm months, I found myself adding a layer, usually a tank top or a light vest, especially when in the air-conditioning. Also, in general, I wore skirts after the knee surgeries, which I find cooler than pants.

For me, the body attempting to regulate its temperature has not only been a part of the recovery, but also, an important part of the body rebuilding stamina. When I have stamina, I feel balanced, neither too cold nor too hot.

I try to listen to the messages my body sends me. But I am sometimes distracted by a pretty hat.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads