THR Life as a Double Hipster. How are you doing?

Time sure does fly even in recovery. It is great that you have one strong hip this time to depend on.
Strong is debatable. It has no choice. :p It was actually the worse one of the two, so yeah. It's doing its bootcamp now.

I decided to not take pills in the middle of the night because I had nothing handy to eat with them. Boy, if I were wondering before about their efficiency, now I know. Putting weight on that new hip was OUCH in the morning. I love you traMADol!
Need to get me a new iceberg. Really want some chill and quiet today, but I have two kids. Not gonna happen.

@Ava J I hope your kids aren't too needy!

I kept nuts and yogurt at my bedside for that zero dark thirty dose. Discovered yogurt was better-- no unchewed chunks in my teeth!

I kept nuts and yogurt at my bedside for that zero dark thirty dose. Discovered yogurt was better-- no unchewed chunks in my teeth!
That's a good idea. Have a few crackers or a cup of fruit.

:heehee:no...but it would have been a good one.

Where in the 'stitches' did I leave my cane?:old:

No, my go to was fu...dge buckets! My one son’s reaction was: “Really, Mom?” But I do like “stitches.” :)

At this point, we’ll take a good laugh where we can get it, right?

No, my go to was fu...dge buckets! My one son’s reaction was: “Really, Mom?” But I do like “stitches.” :)
At the hospital this last time around my favorite came out "crud butt" when I had to walk and lift my one mega ton heavy leg and it was so, so, so stiff.

The first surgery, my stitches hurt more than anything, so I'd hiss, "sons of stitches" all the time. :heehee:

Saltines or protein bars were me go to with medication. I figured protein bars even if all I took was a bite or two had a double purpose. I loved the Clif bars since they had so many flavors from peanut butter to oatmeal raisin walnut depending on my mood or taste.

My mom used "oh fudge" all the time! "Sons of stitches" has got to be The Best Ever!!!!!

True story: I never used much language except the other version of "bull hockey" unless truly provoked. When our elder son was 16 months old, we were driving from Cape Cod to the Boston airport, running behind as usual. We missed an exit. I cut loose a resoundingly vehement #%€£! and the baby in the back seat hollered that all the way to the airport. I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry. Thankfully, he gave it up before anybody else heard it. He would have won an Oscar for his delivery!

I've been exhausted all day today, which follows the pattern of the first hip replacement. Week 1 - and completely wiped out. I am able to move around more, but at the same time, the fatigue is immense. And I'm not even pushing myself to do anything. I spent all day in bed or recliner today, reading or napping.
Putting on some lavender essential oil onto my bruises and sore spots tonight. The meds don't help with that at all.

@Ava J I really feel you on the exhaustion! I had it for both hips. What floored me until I figured it out was, I also had it post-op a little hernia repair in June! Sure, it was invasive, but no high-torque power tools nor carpentry were involved :rotfl: So-- I'm glad you're gracefully lolling your way through your day. This too shall pass!:ice:

@Ava J My goal well before the first hip was to return to being the one who sat crosslegged on the floor at family Christmasses
THIS!!! This is my ultimate dream. I have never been able to do this in my life, but my surgeon said there's no reason I shouldn't be able to now.
I’m sorry that you are going through this at such a young age, and 2 huge surgeries in just a couple of months is major trauma. It is great that you have such a zen approach to this recovery - I think that’s precisely the right mindset. If it helps, I can sit cross-legged at 6 weeks post-op. It isn’t super-comfortable yet on the recent hip (tugs on the still-tender incision), but I can do it and in another 2-3 weeks I think it will be fine. Barring any complications, I think I’ll be able to do pretty much anything. I used to be a runner but don’t plan to return to that; I’ve already traded my treadmill for an elliptical. I am definitely more fall-averse - I can tell I won’t be doing super-steep trails or riding some of the frisky young horses that I love. But even now I’m able to do things that have been out of reach for years. No regrets!

Last edited:
@Hipster-2

Thank you so much for chiming in! I have NEVER been able to sit cross-legged, so I need to train my muscles and tendons to stretch like that, but my OS already showed me how to do it, so I'm gearing up! It's awesome that it's possible. It's one of those weird things that really don't matter, but I've been green with envy of everyone who does this, even of my own kids.

I am also looking forward to just LONG hikes in the national parks, by which we are surrounded. People would always ask me if I'd hiked this or that or wanted to go with them, but it's always been, "Only if you want to wheel chair me on the way back."

I've gone abroad two years ago and we walked ALL DAY, and my legs were just killing me, but I wanted that trip so bad that I toughed it out. I want to go again in the next couple years, (once COVID settles), and see how much more I can do. Woot woot!

Yes, all of those hikes and long walks while traveling will soon be yours!
Course it will take longer to get the travel part sorted, thanks to COVID.
At 6 weeks I can easily walk 6 miles per day, though I generally limit things to 4 miles as I’m trying hard not to be patient and not overdo things.

Yes, all of those hikes and long walks while traveling will soon be yours!
Course it will take longer to get the travel part sorted, thanks to COVID.
At 6 weeks I can easily walk 6 miles per day, though I generally limit things to 4 miles as I’m trying hard not to be patient and not overdo things.
I don't think I'll be there at 6 weeks, but I woke up today feeling like I could take on the world. That's a good sign. With my first hip replacement, that's when I started moving more and feeling better every day. Things just picked up from that one moment when I felt like my leg was ready to go. And this time, it's only been a week. :D

I thought I overdid it massively yesterday by going on an itsy-bitsy, 3-minute walk around the house. And sure enough, my stitches hurt like illegitimates today, but my muscles are more pliable and willing to do stuff. Woooooooo!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back