THR Life as a Double Hipster. How are you doing?

Ava J

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone!

I've been reading Bone Smart since early June after my first total hip arthroplasty. Last year was rough, as many of you understand. I went for options, and got, "It's replacement or nothing." It was terrifying. I've never seen my x-rays before. I Only went because I popped my hip and couldn't walk as normal anymore and finally had reasonable health insurance. I had no standard arthritis simply because I had no joints and no joint cavities for them to go in. I was told I'd have to get my femures shortened in order to lower my hips and not damage my nerves. Scary, scary stuff.

Almost a year later, I got my left hip replaced. God's miracles, no osteotomy was required. Got an autograft, but that was it. 8 weeks later, no longer on crutches and able to hobble around just fine, got my right hip done. No need for an autograft this time, but I'm much more stiff. Ouch. Both legs are finally the same length, for the first time in my life.

I am on my 4th post-op day with the right hip, and reminding myself to take it easy because, well, taking it easy is the best I can do, right? Ice is my best bud.

Looking for people/friend/survivors/winners of this double hip replacement journey to share their experiences. If you don't want to type, I'd appreciate a link to your thread and I'll read that. <3

:welome: to bonesmart. I have both hips replaced but not at the same time but almost 3yrs apart. I did have both of my knees replaced in the same year. No matter if one or two hips it is a journey of recovery and rediscovering our lives again without pain. I am sure others will pop in who had bilateral hip replacements or you can use the search function to find other recovery threads. In the meantime, I will leave some reading for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

6. Access to these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications

Wound Closure

Pain management and the pain chart

Healing: how long does it take?

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule

Energy drain for THRs

Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hi @Ava J and congratulations hippie warrior! You sound elated, and I don't blame you. I'm so glad you got decent health insurance, and that your surgeries went so well. There are many of us on here who really wish we could have gotten the two hips out of the way together-- me included.

You will find links to people's recovery threads in their signatures, but the best way to keep up with current recover-ees is to visit their threads. Have a look around, check out the library, and settle in with your ice for a nice nap or two!

Hello Ava,
Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us! Congrats on your two new hips.
Wondering if you’d share the exact date of each surgery so we can add the info to your signature? We’ll add your name / date to the June Sunbeams and July Sparklers lists where you can see / follow those that are in the same stage of recovery as you.

There are many here that have experienced bilateral THR, both hips at once, then also those like you that had only weeks or months in between surgeries. You‘ll be able to identity those that had both hips replaced by looking at signatures on threads.

Good to read you’re using ice and hopefully your pain is well managed. Please stop back often, we’d love to follow your healing journey.
All the best to you!
@Ava J

Thank you so much everyone! Yes, I will be perusing the threads for sure. I realized I need to see how people cope afterward, even though I'm not desperate or stressed out, more curious about lifestyle improvements/limitations. Thank you for the welcome. Thank you for helping with this website as well!

I would like to add here that both times my PT only wanted me to be able to get out of bed, to the bathroom, and practice using crutches on the stairs (because I live in a split level) before sending me home. Same guy both times. He never made me do anything exercise wise. Gave me a leaflet this time around though. But the leaflet is brutal. 30 reps twice a day? I can do 15 of some, and maybe 4 of others, so I will be taking my sweet time with those. :p
Pain is managed well. I have meds, but also a really high pain tolerance. I'm super sore more than anything. But, again, ice, ice, baby.

Ava, Please don‘t do anything that hurts. Thirty reps of anything this early on is too much and unnecessary. Here’s the BIG TIP you’ll find in the Recovery Guidelines -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

You‘ve experienced two major surgeries within a month of each. Consider following the suggested level of activity in the Activity Progression For THR. Its a rough gauge, but if you follow it loosely you should notice normal healthy progress without pain.

Stepping back from all of those reps, even PT if you feel like it, should help the “super sore” you mentioned slowly ease.

Keep icing also. Wishing you comfort.
@Ava J

Ava, Please don‘t do anything that hurts. Thirty reps of anything this early on is too much and unnecessary. Here’s the BIG TIP you’ll find in the Recovery Guidelines -

You‘ve experienced two major surgeries within a month of each. Consider following the suggested level of activity in the Activity Progression For THR. Its a rough gauge, but if you follow it loosely you should notice normal healthy progress without pain.

Stepping back from all of those reps, even PT if you feel like it, should help the “super sore” you mentioned slowly ease.

Keep icing also. Wishing you comfort.
@Ava J
Thank you, Layla!
I was actually trying to say that I am taking it super easy and am NOT doing anything "scary" for my body. Over many years of knowing exactly what hurts and how it hurts and when to stop, I have learned to listen to my body very well. :D I was just shocked, "30 reps?" Forget that.
Thank you for trying to help me remember though that I need to take it easy. Much appreciated.

curious about lifestyle improvements/limitations
I've had both hips replaced and I can't think of any limitations. The only lifetime restrictions I have are no bungee jumping or parachuting. Since I am terrified of heights I'm not the least bit restricted! :heehee:

Lots of improvements post op. Just living without that horrid bone on bone pain is a real plus!

Spend some time in the hip recovery forum. Lots of happy new hippies sharing their stories.

curious about lifestyle improvements/limitations

Lots of improvements post op. Just living without that horrid bone on bone pain is a real plus!

This was my case as well pretty much 4 weeks after my left hip replacement. I was stiff and awkward, but I could sleep! And that was nothing to sneeze at. I spent all spring waking up in pain and cramps. So in this sense I am doing better as well.

My surgeon told me no running marathons (which is fine with me) and no contact sports (which is also fine with me). I am looking forward to a lot of walking again and to start biking.

Walking without pain is such a treat. I no longer mind popping up and getting something I have forgotten or going through a store - still not a shopper but it is now a pleasure to get to what I want without pain. All everyday chores are easier and lighter on the spirit. My husband says he loves seeing me buzz around now in the house or yard. He also says my face looks younger and my personality is back to pre pain status.

@Ava J I have no lifestyle limitations imposed by my hips. I'll never run a marathon and never wanted to. The rest of my body is much older than my hips :snork:

Improvements, OTOH-- well. My goal well before the first hip was to return to being the one who sat crosslegged on the floor at family Christmasses, and while family circumstances changed, after the second hip had healed up some, I went back to sitting happily on the floor. Too bad getting up is such an ordeal for the knees which have no padding any more lol. I try to get up with a sort of "side plank to some polite version of a downward dog" unless there's cushy carpet or grass!

@Ava J My goal well before the first hip was to return to being the one who sat crosslegged on the floor at family Christmasses
THIS!!! This is my ultimate dream. I have never been able to do this in my life, but my surgeon said there's no reason I shouldn't be able to now. And I freaked myself out today when I was sitting in a recliner and almost draped my left leg over the armrest, sideways, you know. This flexibility is crazy new. I am so excited!

I am immensely tired today. It's day 5 after second hip, and I am totally okay with being wiped out today. Also, meds. Meds make me want to hibernate. Also fine with me. This time around I am actually more aware/less hazy, so I make more trips downstairs to sit with my kids and guide them during meal prep or something. But other than that, I'm happy to be an iced slug. :sleeep:

Glad you’re okay with being tired and hopefully sneaking in naps when you’re able. Our body does its best healing while we’re sleeping, so keep on slugging! :yawn: :sleeep:
A peaceful relaxing evening to you!
@Ava J

@Ava J eeeewww what an image. Iced slug....

I'm so glad you are getting flexibility that you've never had before. That's exciting for you and all of us!

Glad you’re okay with being tired and hopefully sneaking in naps when you’re able. Our body does its best healing while we’re sleeping, so keep on slugging! :yawn: :sleeep:
A peaceful relaxing evening to you!
@Ava J
Thanks! I do sleeping very well. Plus, this type of sleep is entirely out of my control. It sneaks up, and I'm out cold.
Super excited!

:hi: Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty!
@Ava J
That's insane! Already two months? I knew it was 8 weeks last week before they dug into the right one, but TWO MONTHS!!!
Thank you. Leftie is doing well and being a good girl by carrying me around and letting me sleep on it. The scar has healed well. The flexibility is coming back. The swelling is down, although the Leftie is tired of being the work horse. It'll be okay!

Time sure does fly even in recovery. It is great that you have one strong hip this time to depend on.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts