Hip Infection* Life After SCaprae

As we all know , things could be much worse. My recovery is doing very nicely. Thanks. Each day is a gift, any moment not utilized to the fullest is not the way to go.

Talked w/ Cookie some, sent her a list of a couple reasons that a replacement hip can dislocate. She indicated the her OP thinks it was from getting into bed w/ the replacement side first & the rotation caused both events (same motion at occurrence each time). I had not been informed/coached to put the “good” leg into bed first. Her spirits are good.

More reading, discussion. In cases where there have been a couple dislocations two options exist. If placement allows, a “limiter “ can be attached to the cup & no more dislocation/ down side: permanent restriction/loss of motion. Upside: less invasive than revision (undoing all of the healing that has taken place in the pelvis & femur/chance of fracturing the femur during process & that’s already occurred). Limiter is a go for Tuesday.

I was wondering how surgeries are being handled with the Covid-19 being such a concern. I've heard some people are postponing surgeries, either at the patient request, or the surgeon/hospital's. Such unsettling times in general, and especially if there are medical issues like this that need addressed. Also a challenge for those recovering, with appointments to go to, and social distancing essential for safety at the same time. Supporting each other will lighten the load emotionally, which is so important.

After consulting w/ OP who handled the second & most recent surgery: they all decided to move rapidly forward (knowing possible risks) before the medical situation “consumes “ available facilities etc.
Would not want to have to make that decision / they don’t really have another good option.

Tough for sure. Sounds like a decision of the lesser of two evils.:sad:
I'm sure she is weary of dealing with dislocation...and I haven't heard, or been able to find information about a "limiter"
May be a Bonesmart first.

Wonder what the "technical" name for it is?

Not sure, but this is what I have found so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 214
I don't know what all the limitations are with this system but sounds promising for folks who have found no solutions.

She must be growing weary of this. You mentioned she’s in good spirits, hoping that still holds true and also hoping this “limiter” is the ticket allowing her to heal and move forward. It’s been a long journey...three months and she still needs the other hip replaced. Prayers for her today. Keep us posted and have a nice Tuesday!
@SCaprae

Found some more information: constrained implants. Did a “wildcard search” on constrained implants for hip replacement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 191
Search page.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 208
Interesting info for sure. Thanks for sharing. It’s not an alternative I’ve heard of before.
Stay safe, well and have a good day! :)

Always nice to associate a face with a name.
How many pounds is that behemoth, Ruby, anyway? Wowza!

She’s only 94 lbs, just a puppy. Our heads collided a couple weeks ago: I was bending down to pick up my sock and she was jumping onto the bed. The top of her head connected w/ the top of my right eye orbit. Ouchhhhhhhh! Didn’t split the skin(sure felt like it) “saw things go darker” and resulted in a black eye for a couple weeks. She gave me 1 of those “what did you do that for “ looks. All is good again, only have a bump where we “connected” and it is fading. Hope everyone is holding up Ok in these crazy times.

Ouch! Good to hear it’s healing and wasn’t even worse....sounds bad enough.
Take care and have a good week. :)
@SCaprae

Talked via text w/ Cookie, her surgery has been moved to today (or possibly be put off for 12 weeks). She is not wanting to wait, has endured more dislocation incidents. Said a prayer for her.

Prayer going up. :prayer:I hope she has her surgery today.
Keep us posted and take care of yourself.
@SCaprae

Surgery was yesterday for Cookie, things went well. She may be released later today. No visitors, her husband got no farther that the front desk.

Great news!
Hopefully she is released today to begin healing at home and this is the last surgery she’ll need. Wishing her only the best.
@SCaprae

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks