Knee Infection* Adieu

Welcome back after a month and a half!
You've had a rough journey. I am sorry for all you've endured. It's admirable you remain optimistic.
Great news your CRP is lowering, I hope the pain you're dealing with becomes more manageable soon. We're here for support so stop back often with updates.
Best wishes!
@Jazzerguy

Thanks for all of the responses. The perspectives help. I certainly know that healing is not a linear process: Good days and hard ones.

I've also learned that (for me) night time can be the worst. Anxiety about pain and getting sleep can be yet another challenge. Some nights I just don't get much rest.

I must be patient with my soft tissue recovery... and hope the next implant surgery goes better!

I hope the pain eases so your anxiety does also and you're able to benefit from some restorative rest.

I am sure it was only an oversight, but it would be really helpful if you will confirm the dates on your signature.
Let us know if they are correct, and please provide the dates of any surgeries or procedures we may have missed.
It will help clear up some confusion. We would really appreciate it and thank you in advance.
@Jazzerguy

Thanks Layla

How do I "confirm dates on my signature"? What does that mean.

Original Replacement 1/20
Arthroscopy 7/21
Debridement 8/21
Revision Stage One 11/4/22

Oh, I am sorry I should have explained more clearly...
You just clarified. We were missing the debridement in August and the first stage revision date of November 4th,
Thanks so much for clearing the mystery, it is much appreciated, we'll edit to reflect the new info.

Not too long now until the 19th. Hang in there and remember we're always here for you! :)

This was your signature which was toward the bottom of each of your posts. We all have therm so it makes it easy to see with a quick glance our surgery dates.

Second Stage Revision - December 19, 2022
Arthroscopic Surgery - July 2021
TKR January 6, 2020

Thinking of you on the one month anniversary of the first stage of your revision. Not too long now until the 19th.
We'll be here to support and cheer you on. I hope you have a good week!
@Jazzerguy

Thanks Layla,

I appreciate the messages and follow up. One of the unique aspects of this process is that we may be surrounded by people, but in terms of the actual experience, we’re very much alone. It helps to have others who are intimate with this reality.

I am now almost through week five. My scar looks beautiful, if that’s a thing . Given my impatient nature, I feel good about the approach I’ve taken to recovery. Everyone of these procedures have been different and challenging.

The limited range of motion following the first stage of knee revision is unique. I feel like I should stretch it, but the antibiotic spacers won’t allow it– and it’s not supposed to happen anyways!

At first, I thought of waiting 12 weeks between procedures was unbearable. Now, I completely understand the need to heal before I go through that again. I’m getting by with less need for compression sleeves for pain and am still icing the knee as it continues to be swollen . I have a pretty steady routine during the day, which is mostly about rest, elevation and ice.

I tend to dread sleeptime, because it’s been such a challenge. Between the pain and the need to visit the bathroom, periods of long long sleep have been far and few between. I do hope some of the swelling starts to go down during the next 7 1/2 weeks until my next replacement. I also think the use of the tourniquet, while helpful, was pretty traumatic on my leg.

As my career involves coaching, counseling and teaching other leaders, i’m trying to extract as much learning as I can from this experience. It can be a challenge, but I will forever be grateful for the opportunity to walk and be rid of this infection when this ordeal ends. I’ll also be very appreciative and more empathetic with those who are challenged in their daily life with mobility issues and pain.

Never take life or love for granted!

You're welcome, Jazzerguy.
I never tire of expressions from a grateful heart and obviously this experience has changed you. I am sorry for anyone that has to go through infection. I believe thoughts of the possibility of infection have crossed all of our minds at one point or another and we quickly dismiss them. I guess I should speak for myself. Thankfully you're on the downside now.

As long as we have scars, I guess being happy with the care your surgeon or PA took to close your incision, or the way your body has healed can make for a beautiful scar. Not sure if you posted to, or checked out Hippie Scars but there are some in there that are difficult to look at.

Hopefully your sleep pattern soon changes and you don't dread the nighttime, but look forward to the restorative rest you know you'll be getting. Are you still traveling to New Zealand right before your surgery this month? If so, I wish you safe travels and I hope you enjoy your vacation to the best of your ability under the circumstances.
I do hope some of the swelling starts to go down during the next 7 1/2 weeks until my next replacement.
What is following the second stage of your revision on December 19th? TKR of your other knee? If so, please share the date so we're able to edit your signature accordingly.
I hope you have a good day!

My bad. We decided to cancel trip to address my situation. First surgery was on 11/4. Replacement surgery on Jan 30.

Hopefully, NZ in the future !

Okay, no worries. Hopefully you're able to travel to and enjoy New Zealand once you have this all behind you.

Just to be clear, your First Stage Revision surgery was November 4th and the Second Stage will be January 30th, not December 19th. Is that correct before I edit?

Hi, Jazzerguy. I was not really active on Bonesmart for a while, & so had to reset my password to be active again. Fortunately, my husband was able to help me (he was a software engineer for many years, but I’m afraid I’m still a bit of a computer illiterate). But, now all is well, & I’m able to be active again.

I missed your more recent posts. I see that you have canceled your trip for now. I know that’s a disappointment, but, also see where you can focus on getting through to your next phase of healing. You have had a tough time! I found that my infection, and the surgery to deal with it, were a lot tougher than the actual replacement. But, I also experienced a lot of personal growth. I still marvel at the care that I got, even with the tough situation the nurses were in, (a Covid outbreak that really took its toll on staffing to deal with the patient load).

I’m sorry to read that you are still experiencing a lot of pain & sleep issues. As a heavy sleeper, I found insomnia a new experience. I did find myself on this forum a lot during the night, and reading on a new historical novel series, a lot! Made it all the way through a 3-book series, mostly during those night hours. So, some education on those periods of time, and, more understanding from a personal viewpoint, of folks like my husband, who is a light sleeper, & sometimes has a hard time of sleeping. Btw, I’m back to sleeping like a rock….it Does come!

I’ll try to be a little more active on the forum…the folks on here are incredible! I received so much encouragement and learned so much from the experiences of others. Right now, last year this time seems Such a long time ago. I still am struggling with balance issues, & my Dr. thinks it’s possibly an ear problem. So I’m a bit wobbly & extra clumsy, but it doesn’t slow me down much. I sure hope that each new week will be even just a little better for you and that maybe someone on here will have a little tidbit that might help.

I’m keeping you in my thoughts, & hoping to see that you have some new improvements.

I should go get us some soup going for supper. We have our 7year old grandson coming for a couple of nights, so will need to be rested up! He’s a little ball of energy, & we’re all looking forward to the weekend. Do take care of yourself. You have a wonderful attitude with all that you’ve been through…. That really makes the difference.

Hi there.

Thanks for your post. Benefit it’s always beneficial to hear from those who have shared this experience. Today is five weeks from May original surgery and I am making progress. I have one more week of IV anabiotic’s, and then six weeks until my knee replacement.

At first I was frustrated about the time, but now realize how traumatic it is to go through these operations. The six weeks will give me a chance to heal more and be ready for what I hope to be the last aspect of this journey. I remain optimistic.

I’ve also learned the impact of having a tourniquet use during the surgery. It really has impacted my phone, muscles and nerves. It’s all just a matter of healing, first and foremost, I just want to be able to walk with minimal pain and discomfort and without having an infection in my knee!

I hope you are well and having success in your post operative space.

All the best!

I’m glad that in the midst of an unexpected development that you remain optimistic. Well done! :egypdance:

Please see my story for a lot of information on IV antibiotic and revision surgery !

Here is @LaJudes Recovery Thread:

l have been through the 2 stage revision surgery for infection . Please read my story on this site . l just got the whole new knee replacement done on June 28,2022 . l was given a "hinged knee replacement " l am doing well now , but spent 3 months in a wheelchair , l couldn't walk after the first surgery .

I’m happy to note that in week six I’m off of Rx mends. Just Advil Duo now. My swelling is down. My strength is up - and best of all my blood work is well within range.

IV meds end on Friday. Six more weeks with antibiotic spacers then implant on 1/30

I’m grateful and optimistic!

Attachments

• DC5B6248-60A4-4134-8427-9CA31557E852.jpeg
    DC5B6248-60A4-4134-8427-9CA31557E852.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 70

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie