THR Let's make it a matched set!

That was a good rant. Plenty to complain about. Thanks for the honesty.
I am looking at your first hip replacement which took place in the fall, vs the second hip this summer. This time you are in a season where there is less light to see, plus weather hazards, and that I think makes a difference in this recovery, too.
The good thing is that you are getting out and you do have things to do. Any strong folks in your group who can help you with an 8” step, or may be good to hold on to while you are going up/down stairs?
You sound so dedicated to movement to build back up. I do think you will get there one day soon.

We aren't going to access low seats, toilets, etc with the same relative ease as a younger version of ourselves unaffected by arthritis, stiffness and an aging body.
True but...if I'm going to continue to be out in the world--and I'm not willing to give that up--I need to be able to get up and down from low toilets, up steps, and up from couches--maybe not gracefully but... Not ready to be a hermit. And in my case, a lot of this difficulty is directly related to the joint replacements.

And @Layla I'm not 80 and I don't think my expectations are actually all that high for this point in my life. If I were wanting to climb mountains or do rigorous hiking or other sorts of more rigorous exercise, then yes. But I'm talking about basic functions.

Last edited:
Well, thankfully you have your assistive devices until you no longer need them, making it possible for you to navigate out in the world.
I'm sure you'll eventually be able to lay it all aside.
Best wishes as you continue the journey!

It is frustrating. I have gotten over myself regarding a cane even is most times I did not need it before this last hip. I figured people will always have opinions but my safety and risk of falling on uneven sidewalk was more important. Mainly because I did not want any other recoveries. Unfortunately I the other hip had other ideas anyways but at least I couldn't be mad at myself but only at my hip.

We aren't going to give up living in the world just make some adjustments at times. How about a bright flashlight so you can see uneven sidewalk. They come in really small sizes now.

I know it is frustrating right now, @gertie, but I'm with you on not giving up and choosing to believe that, at some point, you will regain more of your agility and strength. It is a maddeningly slow process but I think having faith in that miraculous body of yours and a commitment to keep TRYING are key. Like you, I have no desire to climb mountains or run marathons. BUT...I would like to be able to get out of bed in the morning without groaning and a host of "expletives deleted"! I am hopeful I'll get there, and I think you will, too. Have a good day--sunny here in the PNW, a beautiful, cold but wonderful day ahead!

I know you're frustrated but on the subject of flashlights for safety, there are numerous options on Amazon. They have canes that have built in LED flashlights and they have ones that you can attach to canes, crutches, and walkers. Just something to think about. I'm all in to healing up my walker and cane when I have to use them, figure might as well have some fun!

@gertie Hope you had happy holidays, and I wanted to wish you :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4: .

Its been a while since you have posted. I do hope you are doing well and living life as you had hoped. I learned so much from you, and wanted to say, “Thank you!”

:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon: @gertie. I hope all is well and everyday life has taken over with your recovery. Have a wonderful year. You are still someone I remember as I am recovering from my last joint.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts