THR Let's make it a matched set!

Well, all that sounds just about normal, @gertie. Entertaining even before hip nonsense can be exhausting, and if you were able to do all that prep and clean up with just an aching back afterwards, I'd say that is pretty sensational and you're well on your way to a full recovery. I do understand how frustrating low countertops can be. When we had our current house built 20+ years ago, I did tell the contractor to make the kitchen and bathroom countertops higher as I had the same problem, also being tall, that too low countertops do put a strain on your back. Sounds like you had a fun social event, and recovered well from post-event aching and fatigue. Hurray! And happy Monday!

@Barbaraj I did some redecorating in the kitchen a few years ago and asked about raising those counters but that would have meant getting new lower cabinets, which I didn't want to do--too pricey and the old cabinets are really solidly built--so...counters are still a tad low.

Oh, @gertie, I know that kitchen remodeling of any sort adds up quickly and unless you've won the lottery it is generally not feasible for most. Fortunately, most of us aren't required to spend huge amounts of time in the kitchen unless we're entertaining so, I hope, you don't strain yourself all that often these days. Even with higher countertops I still get a lower back ache sometimes. I finally bought a counter height stool for the kitchen and if I'm really uncomfortable, I can perch on that as I'm chopping onions or other prep tasks.

@Barbaraj I just take breaks as needed and rarely do extensive meal prep these days! The stool sounds like a great idea. I suspect that paying attention to core strengthening and posture would also help :)

A stool is a nice thing to have, and ours tucks under an overlap in our kitchen island so it's out of the way when it's not needed, @gertie. But I agree with you that focusing on posture and core work will probably also help. Do what you can when you're able, but don't sweat the small stuff--you are doing great in your recovery so just keep up the good work. Cheers, and happy Tuesday!

@gertie I did my first pole trekking walk today with the gel gloves. What a difference! I walk taller and I think breath deeper when using them. Just 15 minutes so I did not get too irritated. It felt like certain muscles were waking up a bit. Thank you for your postings on these items.

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hope you're having a good week, gertie.
Blue skies, lots of sunshine, decent temps, strong hips :yes!:
Have a great Thursday and weekend!
@gertie

@gertie Happy Healthy Fourth Month Anniversary! Wishing you continued improvement.

Yes, I was walking today, without poles, and caught myself, not standing up as straight as I do with the poles.
I corrected myself. Those poles are going to be a daily activity for me.

:hi: @gertie
Hows it going? I hope you’re feeling as good as I am! Seems like just yesterday we were doing :ice: and maybe some:groan:
I hope you’re having a great weekend..

@CricketHip Thanks for checking in! Mostly I'm doing OK although I think I tiptoed into the ODIC this past week. I've been pushing things a bit: A week ago Saturday I did a 1.5 mile bike trail walk plus lunch out plus errand running; Sunday a lot of housework and grocery shopping; Monday a 2 hour round trip drive to the airport to pick up a friend plus a hillier walk than usual; Tuesday 2 walks; Wednesday another 1.5 mile walk...You get the drift. I iced and elevated after the walks and was good to go again until Friday and yesterday when my hip told me to slow it down a bit. But this is all part of the recovery process.

Wow, that does sound like quite a busy and active week, @gertie! But it sounds like you're listening to your hip/body and taking the time needed to rest up. But I'm guessing even if you feel as if you've done a bit too much, being able to do so much must have brought a smile to your face--you go, girl! Recovery is steadily moving forward. Have a great Sunday.

Hello :wave:and a happy Sunday to you.
You're doing great, gertie!
Back out living and enjoying life. After all, that's what it's all about.
I guess through short trips to the ODIC we're reminded of our limitations.
Hope you're having a nice weekend and I'm wishing you a great week to come! :)
@gertie

Sounds like you are living your life and enjoying ( a little discomfort not withstanding). Sounds awesome and cannot wait till I get there. You give me lots of hope. Thank you for posting your journey.

Hi @gertie Thanks for the update, You had a real active spurt, didn't you? :heehee:
I am to the point of recovery where I accept the ODIC and pay attention to how long it takes me to recover.. Most of the time it's over with a day. Or less.
Hilly walks are the toughest, aren't they?
You sound great, though. Hopefully the recovery has taken place. Have a good evening!

@CricketHip It's taken a while to really emerge from the ODIC--maybe the yard work plus walk on Saturday moved me more fully into the club! A couple of sore days--mostly in the IT band area of the new hip--and things are feeling better. I chatted with the PT about all this--she's in the slow and steady camp (and thinks the yard work might be a major contributing factor--all that uneven ground, side stepping, back stepping, bending and crouching). I've taken it easy this week--partly because of needing to recover and partly because I'm not yet on board with the early darkness and the chilly weather. I'm also shopping for new shoes and eagerly awaiting a shipment from Zappos. I can tell it will be challenging to get exercise this winter. I'm not a winter sports person. I used to blame my winter time couch potato ways on spending daylight hours at work but don't have that excuse right now so we'll see what I come up with.

@gertie Sorry to hear you were in the ODIC club. :swoon:hope you recover soon and this is a temporary bump in the road.
I tried putting on the lights in the house 30 minutes before it gets dark, at this time of year, and it has helped me with the transition. I also use one old bulb, full light spectrum type, in my bathroom and above my kitchen sink.

@VSlowLife It does make a difference to put lights on and brighten up the living space. My big transition issue though is making sure I get exercise in before it gets dark. Re: the ODIC--I think I just plunged into a heightened level of activity before all muscles were ready for it. But the activity did feel good in the moment!

@gertie I see your point about exercising outdoors before it darkens. I am sure it did feel really good, doing what you needed to do and using your muscles. It can be a challenge to maintain muscle mass in the very cold months.
I am freeze proofing my yard today, and will see what complains later.

@VSlowLife I need to up my winter hardiness game (or move south). Very chilly today with a wind chill factor as well. I set out to go for a walk and turned around and am about to sip a cup of tea. Maybe I'll go rake some leaves after sipping the tea.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom