THR Let's make it a matched set!

gertie

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I'm in final countdown to RTHR on Monday morning, bright and early. This will be my 2nd hip and 4th joint (2 knees, 1 hip). I've got a lot to do, which is good 'cause it will distract me.

My big concern right now is that I woke up feeling like I was getting a cold. Could be allergies but...this feels suspiciously cold-like--not severe but there. Moderators--what's your sense? Do they cancel because of colds? Not even anyone I can call about this since it's the weekend. I'm due to go down to the hospital tomorrow. Maybe I'll wait and see how I feel tomorrow morning and if I still feel cold symptoms I could call the hospital unit and get some advice. I REALLY do not want to postpone this again!

Oh my stars...Jack up on some Vitamin C...:fingersx: for no delays!

Unfortunately, Emergen-C is on the "don't take" list! That's my go-to for stopping a cold.

Do they cancel because of colds?
Typically they will not cancel if you just have sniffles. If there is a fever - that will be an issue. Rest, fluids ..... fingers crossed for you. Please keep us updated!

Unfortunately, Emergen-C is on the "don't take" list! That's my go-to for stopping a cold.
Mine too! I really didn't know this.
Huh? Wonder why...:scratch:
Orange juice then?

Well now...according to a cosmetic surgeon's website
  • Vitamin C can delay closing of the blood vessels, which can complicate surgery.

Well, that's too bad. See if anything develops and how you're feeling as the day progresses. I'm sure you can phone the office of your OS and discuss your concerns with the PA on call.
Fingers crossed you're still on for Monday. Keep us posted...
@gertie

Gahhhh! Just to make things more complicated, I just found out that my primary support person for this round of surgery, the friend who was going to pick me up and then stay overnight and into the next day, has a family emergency and won't be available. So I'm scrambling--another friend can stay overnight my first night home but has to work all that day so I need a ride from the hospital and someone to stick around for a bit when I first get home. Unfortunately this is a week when the usual helper friends are out of town. I will be SO glad when this is all over!

Thanks @HipsterKat! The lead up has been a bit bumpy so I am doubly looking forward to being on the other side. How are you doing at a month + out?

Hope this is a false alarm and you are feeling better by morning! I developed a rash on the backs of my legs two days before my surgery last August. I was so worried and called my doctor. They had me come in to look at it, and said it was just a heat rash, probably from the bolster I had been using under my knees when I slept. I was so relieved....had the same concerns you are having about having to reschedule. At the time I went in, they said it is rare that they cancel unless one has a fever or something they feel is highly infectious. Since you can't see your doctor, could you still call them?

I'm so glad to hear that. Good luck on Monday, Lynn. I imagine you have a very unique perspective, having done 3 previous replacements. I hope this one is your smoothest of them all:):loveshwr:

@gertie wishing you the best tomorrow and hoping the allergies/cold let up and you get some rest.
:sleep:

Wishing you all the best tomorrow, Lynn!
Will look forward to following your healing journey. Below you'll find the Recovery Guidelines -

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @gertie

Thinking of you this morning. Given the time difference, I hope that you're in recovery, resting comfortably by now. We will look forward to hearing all about it when you're up to posting.
Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.
@gertie

:hi: Hope your pain is well managed and happy to know that bad hip is a thing of the past.
These first days are definitely jarring...but All Temporary!
Healing hugs...:friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom