Let's light this candle!

DuncanWA

Country
United States United States
Right THR this Monday July 23rd, left THR in 2012 and I'm 54. All my pre-op stuff is done. I've developed my menus, eliminated rugs, subscribed to NetFlix and coordinated all my work responsibilities, etc. Been cleared for 8 weeks STD and have every intention to take them all even though my first replacement only needed 3-4 weeks before I could return. I'm kinda bored right not and really need a sabbatical!

Anyway - I'm way ahead of the game but I hate the waiting! I was never one of those patient kids at Christmas. Time to open this can of hip replacement WHUP-BUTTT!

Best of luck to all the other July-ers getting right with their diseased hips! The other side is screaming for us to get it done and get on with life. There are bikes to ride, mountains to climb, pets to chase, children to wrestle with, sleep to be had... Daylight's a-wasting!

You should see my typing after my 2nd cup of coffee... ;)

Double hippy Happy...very soon.
Glad to see you back and ready to rock and roll.:yahoo:
I am still surprised at how having my hips replaced has improved my quality of life tenfold.
Yes, sleep ..
One of the best parts as I was so sleep deprived prior to surgery.
Of course it was months after surgery before I achieved an all-nighter but I've been catching up ever since!
:sleep:

While I never had sleep problems, I had such a long list of other issues that I kept explaining away to one thing or another. Can't tell you how many hikes with my wife where I expressed no interest in going and "wanted" to stay home to watch TV. Or how many hikes I spoiled for her because when I DID go, I'd have such trouble stepping over deadfall trees and would complain. Or how I'd have to lay my bike down because I couldn't swing my leg over the saddle, or couldn't get on the floor to play with my cat, or get into/out of my car, or stand from my chair, or meander through a craft fair without my back hurting... SSSOOO MMMAAANNNYYY excuses just because I had a diseased hip. All these things come on slowly and it lulls us all into this false sense of the inevitability of aging and what being old is all about.

We're all getting older and that means we should be exhibiting more wisdom and judgement but that wisdom and judgement should be telling us to get ourselves healthy rather than shy away from life's normal activities. I may choose to not become a mixed martial arts fighter at my age (54), but it will be because I'm smart - not because my diseased hips hurt!

I'm tomorrow, RTHR, and I am ready! I'm 51 and I can totally relate to all the things I've avoided doing or how many times I've disappointed hubby.

Enjoy your sabbatical, do all kinds of relaxing things. Monday will be here before you know it!

Your comment about your hubby rings so true to me - sadly. My wife has stuck with me but I know her enjoyment of outdoor activities has been impacted. Soon I can make it up to her with an EXTENDED hiking trip at Glacier NP!

Give 'em hell tomorrow!

I'm up for THR, right side, in two days, Wed July 18th, and am quite unnerved. But I have been reading the threads, and the consensus seems to be that the waiting is the worst part. Looking forward to getting this over with, and getting to the other side.

Or how I'd have to lay my bike down because I couldn't swing my leg over the saddle, or couldn't get on the floor to play with my cat, or get into/out of my car, or stand from my chair, or meander through a craft fair without my back hurting
Yes, yes, yes to all of the above. Having to almost lay your bike flat on the ground to get your leg over the saddle is the final straw!

Good luck and you'll be back in the saddle in no time. I can't wait to hit the mountains again for some good hiking. My gf mightn't be but she said she is up for it and we should be on a more even standing. I like a 4 to 5 hr hike she lies a 2 hr hike. But hey we'll be getting out there in the next few months.

Waiting is hard but knowing what you are getting in return is worth the wait.

:wave:Hope you are doing well and they have your pain managed.
Will be looking for you on the healing side!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back