TKR Let the Recovery Begin....

billmo816

Country
United States United States
Hello Bonesmart,

Had my right TKR outpatient surgery yesterday and all went well. I'm at home resting. My pain is not bad at all, doctor uses Exparel which is probably still working. I have PlasmaFlow devices for DVT and my GameReady ice machine so all is well for now.

PT is coming today for a visit so I'm looking forward to that and hoping the pain stays away.

Bill

Awesome report! So glad everything went well and you are comfortable. These nerve blocks are magical!

I have an ice machine with a pad that lays over the knee. But, yesterday at PT they used the GameReady on me - that is one amazing ice machine! Enjoy!

@billmo816 ,
:welome: to the Other Side!

Sounds like you are doing well, easy does it with PT today. Here are the recovery guidelines for you to review.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Great news!
Don't forget to start/keep taking the oral painkillers you will have been given. Don't wait until the nerve block wears off in a day or two.

I second the recommendation to get an icing machine. I have the Breg Polar Cube and it is well worth the $150 it cost. Ultimately it is just a bucket with a pump and hose in it attached to a flexible sleeve around whatever it is you're icing. But oh my does it work wonders. Plus if you have a high likelihood of needing it again, say for another joint replacement in the future or if you have kids of sports-playing age that could hurt themselves, it isn't like it will go bad after this surgery.

We can be TKR twins. I had mine yesterday as well, my doctor used Exparel and the plasma flow devices as well. It's a little stiff and painful, but I'm taking pills and trying to move it without causing more swelling. Hope all goes well with your recovery.

I second the recommendation to get an icing machine. I have the Breg Polar Cube and it is well worth the $150 it cost. Ultimately it is just a bucket with a pump and hose in it attached to a flexible sleeve around whatever it is you're icing. But oh my does it work wonders. Plus if you have a high likelihood of needing it again, say for another joint replacement in the future or if you have kids of sports-playing age that could hurt themselves, it isn't like it will go bad after this surgery.

I used the Polar Active Ice machine a year ago in my recovery which really helped. Even if you have a bunch of ice packs in the freezer you're planning to rotate thru, I found that the recovering knee burned thru them too fast. The ice machine is the way to go.

Hi all,

Thanks for the words of wisdom and advice...

@Pumpkln I took your words of wisdom and days 2-6 were uneventful, I had PT today for the second time and he said my knee looks great, ROM is great too. My PT guy is awesome, he knows I'm on a journey and doesn't push the knee at all, just enough.

End of week one for me tomorrow and things are going well, I hope the same for other too.

Bill

Welcome @billmo816 . I hope you are still doing well in your recovery. Do check in to let us know how you are doing and how we can support you. HA! You just posted as I wrote this! :rotfl:

So glad things are continuing to progress well for you. And you are fortunate you have a PT who knows the difference between rehabbing an athlete from injury and helping you and your knee recover from major surgery.

Days 7-12 were uneventful, I’ve been resting and my swelling has been under control.

Yesterday was the most I’ve been up and on my feet, but I’m able to manage.

I do the exercises my PT prescribed 2-3 times a day and ice as much as possible.

PT measured Friday: 120 flex and I get to 0, so I can straighten my knee as well.

Very happy so far.

You should be very very happy- that is one heck of a great update!

I saw on another post that you got down on the floor and I thought, “I’d still be down there waiting for someone to pick me up!”

I hope the last week has continued uneventfully! Sounds like you are having an enviable recovery.:yes!:

@billmo816 Sounds like you are doing great. I'm a little behind you after an unfortunate twist on day 11 of my recovery, but I'm getting there. 120 and 0 are awesome numbers, from what I understand.

Hi BoneSmart team... I feel guilty for not reporting on how well my right TKR has gone.

I'm at 6 months and I can't tell you all how happy I am with my new knee. Everyday gets better...

Head the BoneSmart teams advice. I'm having my left TKR on 12/4, I hope it goes as well as my right, I'll do a better job of being a spreader of good news.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, how great to hear how well your recovery has gone! We are thrilled with your progress. You are so right - following all of the wisdom on BoneSmart is incredibly important.

We wish you well Friday! Every knee heals differently, but your success and experience with #1 suggests an equally good recovery for #2. We look forward to hearing how it all went.

Keep us posted on your 2nd knee replacement and best wishes for a smooth recovery. I had rTKR on june 25th 2020 and will have my left done in dec 10 2020.

@billmo816 All the best tomorrow! See you on the other side soon!

Hi Jaycey, NightQuilter, Michigan Mitten,

Thank you all for the well wishes... I have a late surgery time tomorrow. 12:30pm which I hate, but we'll deal with it. I'm looking forward to reporting a good outcome and wishing you well wishes next week Michigan Mitten.

Thank you all, and see you on the other side.

Thanks,

Bill

Good luck! I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight!!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom