BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Length of hospital stay

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Ewok, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Ewok

Ewok new member

United States United States
    How long were you in the hospital with a total knee replacement? I received an approval from my insurance and they said one day. That can't possibly be correct. I had my other knee replaced 9 years ago and I was in the hospital for 4 days. It couldn't have changed that much in 9 years, could it?

2. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

It certainly can! When I had my THR 8 years ago, everyone stayed three or four days in the hospital. Now lots of folks go home the very next day. I think it's a great improvement. Who wouldn't rather rest and recover at home?

3. spunky268

spunky268 junior member

For my hip it was one day. I felt like I needed a few more. The nurse said years ago three days was normal. Now overnight and next day you are gone.

4. birdwatchr

birdwatchr graduate

I went home the same day. My doctor prefers to send you home the same day. He feels it's the way to go. Besides that, mine was done in a surgery center, not a hospital.

5. Jajakio

Jajakio senior

I had my knee replaced about 9 months ago. I had surgery early afternoon and went home before noon the next day. I was fine and much preferred to recuperate at home. When the nurse anthetist or whoever she was prepped me for surgery, she came in with a big handful of pills and asked if I was going home today or tomorrow. Huh? I told her I didn't know i had a choice and she said I didn't unless doctor had already told me i could but a few knee replacements left the same day and i got different preop drugs if I was staying the night. I've since met a couple of people who had early morning knee replacement surgery and left the same day.

In the US the standard seems to shifting at least somewhat to spinal and sedation rather than general anesthesia, at least if there isn't a reason to do otherwise or unless you really want general. That means much quicker recovery from anesthesia and many of us are up and walking within an hour or two. I had no catheter and they move everything along so much quicker than they used to. Of course, if you have any kind of complications, you might stay longer. My sister had her knee replaced 3 years ago and had a bad reaction to morphine and stayed 2 days until vomiting was under control Personally,, I was really happy to go home in 24 hours. If you think it might be a problem for you , discuss it with the surgeon. Longer stays are sometimes possible for those who have to go home alone or have other comlpications but it seems these days 24 hour stays are pretty common for uncomplicated single knee replacements.

6. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

I had a one day stay in the hospital. My bedroom is on the second floor. I was taught how to navigate stairs in the hospital. I when up the stairs immediately when I got home.

7. Defender

Defender new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Woe that's encouraging i have my T K R 18 April.
    They told me i will have a local anaesthetic there is no choice as the recovery time is far quicker.
    The anaesthetist said he has only given a general in the last twelve years and only because the patient had previous back problems ie metal work from a previous op

8. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

I had my TKR 4 years ago; at that time the usual stay was 2-4 days. I am getting ready for a revision, and found out the usual stay now is no stay! They send patients home the same day as a matter of course. While I'd rather recover in my own bed, and watch my Giants on my own big TV, pre-recorded on my DVR so I can skip commercials, instead of the little hospital TV that isn't great for watching baseball, I do better staying in the hospital after surgery. (Their TVs are flat screens, and not really that small, but they aren't great for sports, not to mention the commercials you have to suffer through! But at least all the rooms are private so I never have a roommate to worry about) Because of other issues, I will need to be in the hospital for a time after the surgery. I don't know the exact time frame yet, just that it will be longer than today's usual protocol.

Personally, knowing what they do to you during the surgery, I think today's same day surgery protocol is crazy! Those who feel up to it, and want to go home the same day, should be able to do so. And those who need a day or two to recuperate, should also have that option. Maybe they do though, as my insurance covers basically whatever the doctor recommends, so maybe the same day is the usual but individual differences are taken into account. I know in my case, I need more time in order to get other things taken care of, and will be admitted, so I'm sure there is room for that in their protocol.

9. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I know what you mean. I'm not sure I would have wanted to go home the day after surgery. But I think your doctor will evaluate how you're doing and I think if there turns out to be a reason to keep you longer they will get it ok'd with the insurance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

Come to think of it, when I had my spacer replacement 22 months ago, the expected stay for that was 1-2 days, so they really have made some drastic changes, and very, very recently.

11. DinVegas

DinVegas new member

When I had my TKRL last May I stayed for two nights. One of the requirements to leave was that I had to be able to walk a certain distance with a walker. I did that the first day. I'm having my right knee replaced on 4/3 and the doctor told be 2 to 3 days but I'm hoping for two. I think it helped with the pain for the first few days, getting used to getting in and out of beds and chairs and being more confident when you are at home.

12. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

My second TKR was supposed to be one overnight stay but I got post-op nausea and vomiting so they kept me in another night. But for that I'd have happily gone home the next day.

Not so sure about going home the same day but then that wouldn't happen to me as I live on my own. It was the same when I had my shoulders done, a rather large lump removed from my forearm and more recently, a pacemaker fitted. Spoiled brat that I am!

13. Chillimac

Chillimac junior member

In in the morning at 7am home by 7pm. That’s in the UK with a surgeon who believes you heal better in familiar surroundings. So long as all the post op tests are positive there’s really no need for a longer stay.

14. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    You should also stay in hospital until established on an effective pain control regime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Defender

Defender new member

My surgeon has told me in for 2 / 3 days.
    But as i am having my opp in a private hospital under the N H S i guess they will want me out a s a p.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chillimac

Chillimac junior member

A friend of mine had theirs done recently in a private hospital but still under the NHS and was in 4 days Defender. I suppose it’d depend on the hospital and the surgeons instructions to the hospital as well as how you are post op. He said the food was excellent though ! Five star hotel good !

17. Chillimac

Chillimac junior member

I had a bit of a head start Celle having had the Uni Knee before so was au fait with the pain control schedule. The other guys in the ward thought I was joking when I said I was going home the same day they’d all been in at least a day or more but it was better for me personally, the surgeon was in agreement and if I had any problems I could always make a call

18. Eeek

Eeek senior

Switzerland Switzerland
    I’m in Switzerland, where they keep you a bit longer. I was in for 4 nights. Also had a general. Going to have my other one done in October....I expect 4 nights again. They like to make sure pain is controlled, you can walk, do stairs and do basic hygiene, use the toilet, etc.

When you leave the hospital, you walk out, no wheelchair.

19. Defender

Defender new member

My anaesthetist has told me i would be having a local as risks and recovery times are far quicker.
    He said he has only given one general in the last 12 years.

20. Eeek

Eeek senior

Switzerland Switzerland
    My docs suggested that I have a general due to my high level of anxiety. And to be honest, I’m glad I did. I was out of it for a day, give or take, but no nausea, good pain control. Might do the same for the next one later this year. I felt like a wimp at first, but I am very happy with the outcome.

• Like Like x 1