Bilateral TKR Lene' two new knees

Great report Lene'! I'm so happy to hear you're doing well!

Ok, this is my 16week/4month update. I saw my OS today, he is VERY pleased. As am I!! I try not to kid anyone, the first 4 weeks were pretty rough! TKR and especially BTKR is not for the faint of heart. But I am so HAPPY, Happy, Happy that my bone on bone pain is GONE. Now I am not saying I don't still have some quirky pain, numbness, stiffness and achyness (esp. at night), but!! I can WALK again!! And things continue to improve. Last night I went to the local mall with hubby, and we walked for excercise, and I made it the whole mile and a quarter. around, without too much pain at the end. I get a little achy because my right leg still swells with too much excercise but it is getting better. I walk my dogs outside twice or three times a day now, I get no pain when doing that because the ground is actually a little softer (when it is not frozen) and it is a shorter walk, about a half mile at a time.
I have to say in the "early" days, I doubted everyone when they said it would get better...But it did, and I am thankful that my recovery to date has had no glitches....(fingers crossed). I am looking forward to getting even more active starting in another month or so, losing some weight and increasing my energy.
So for all those still in the "Dark Days" take heart...if I can, you can...and there are good things to come.

PS. My OS asked me today "Are you still going to PT", or did they kick you out? I replied "No, I am no longer going to PT, I kicked them out"! He laughed and said..Your doing a great job!!!

What a great report! :yes!: :happydance: :yay:

I love your surgeon's response when you said you had kicked the PT out. :rotfl:

I'm glad you're happy and had such a great report!

So last night I went out to let the dogs out about 11:00PM, I was walking around the yard with the flashlight and calling my youngest lab as he hadn't come back to me. (He is notorious for finding bad stuff to roll in!!) anyway, he came running around the corner and I flashed the light at the sound and I must of blinded him because he ran straight into my left knee!! I took a little hop and down I went! Landed on the right knee, but not full force as I broke my fall with my hands...It scared the bejeezus out of me....but it hurt my back and wrist more than my knees! LUCKILY, I don't seem to be any worse for wear this morning...I did take a pain pill before bed just to be safe. He's a good sized dog at about 78 lbs and he was running pretty fast. It honestly scared me more than anything...Glad it wasn't any worse than it was...I'll be more careful next time...

So glad that you are feeling good today. I can imagine how scary that would have been. Our dog is 148 pounds and I make sure she is staying clear of me when I'm up with the cane.

You may be sore for a while. I fell 6 months out but managed to land on my left side, it was like slow motion and I couldn't stop myself. I was alone and getting up was a real treat! Be careful!

I saw on a previous post you had problems with extension. I am also have problems. Will not go past a negative 25, which is horrible. I there anything I can do? When did it finally get better?

@RMasano Just saw your question so I am listening in as you await a reply from Lene. My extension numbers have not been changing either.

My extension has been slow in coming, but two tips one from Roy and one from KarriB have actually helped but it has been slow... Roy said, lengthen your stride...so when I walk, I try to stretch out my stride, which is tough for me because I am short, with short legs, but every time I walk I try to take about 25-50 steps with a longer stride. Also KarriB said sit with your heel on a chair and let gravity pull down. Now this one is PAINFUL and I can, could only do a few seconds, but I built up so now I can hold it for about a minute (seems like forever but I am doing better). Both of these have helped with my extension. Also, just walking everyday helps. I have always had very tight hamstrings so sometimes I do GENTLE hamstring stretches after walking which I think also helps.
A couple years ago I had meniscus surgery and it took me almost a year to get my leg to straighten completely, so I know I have an issue but I also know it will eventually come. It all is dependant on getting the swelling out and gentle, gently stretching.

Extention is usually the last of the ROM to come. Walking with a longer stride as Lene' said will do it and I found using a cane helpful in taking long steps. With ottoman/chair stretch start with just a short time and build up. I just laid my leg there, no actual stretching or pulling. I let gravity do it's thing.

Hello everyone, this is my 5 month report...Well two days shy but whose counting!!! Anyway, things continue to improve. I believe I am now at 0 extention and my flexation is better than ever. Last weekend I had to kneel on the floor to fix something. It felt really weird but did not cause pain. I think it is more about my muscles and tendons than my bones these days. Anyway, I scored myself a fitness tracker and have been monitoring my steps for the last week and a half. I am averaging about 6,000 a day now. Which to me is awesome, since before surgery I bet I wasn't doing 1500! My left knee feels "nearly" normal. Very little swelling and only occasionally clicks or has small "catches". My right knee still swells some. It has been my "problem" child from the beginning and was the worst one going into surgery. I have been taking advil for the swelling but I switched to some Indomethicin two days ago and that has helped alot more! I am still stiff when I get up from sitting for an hour or so for the first few steps but after that I move just fine. Part of the problem with my right leg I think is I still catch myself walking on my toes instead of heel--toe. I think that puts extra stress on my knee and may be part of the swelling problem. It is a very hard habit to break. Most of my energy has returned and I am walking the dogs two to three times a day. We have had some awesome weather here in the 60's and almost 70's last week, but today we are back to winter at 15 degrees with a 1 degree wind chill. Can't wait for bike riding weather!! Trying to modify my diet to take off some weight, I had put alot back on when I couldn't move with the arthritis. It is all a slow process but getting better all the time!!! DO NOT Regret doing the Bilateral replacement even though it was tough it is so WONDERFUL to walk Pain Free....!!!!

To everyone out there in the early days, hang in there!!!! It will get better!
Blessings,
Lene'

Lene', sounds like you're nearly back to normal! Good for you! :yay:

THATS VERY encouraging, thanks, I have been having doubts about this slow heal and need to hear some good news, not many out there with Btkr as we had, (Im at 13 weeks yesterday) thanks and good luck

Hello Bonesmarties, Wednesday was my 6 month anniversary of my Bilateral knee replacements. I am doing very well. I am now walking 3 miles or more a day. Mostly on flat ground but outside on uneven surfaces. I only have some pain in the back of my right knee, which I believe to be a very tight hamstring muscle. Stiffness only when the weather changes, when I sit too long, or upon the first few steps when getting up. All of which I believe are normal for 6 mos. out. I am so happy to be rid of the arthritic pain, I actually went shopping last Saturday for over two hours, I did not have to sit down once the whole time. I haven't been able to shop for that long in YEARS!!
I no longer have to sit down to throw the ball for my dogs, and house cleaning has become much more tolerable even though my attitude about it has not improved!! LOL!! I have even knelt down on my knees on soft surfaces although it is a very weird feeling, it is not painful. I finally have most of my energy back and actually did some yard work with a shovel and a rake yesterday. I will say however I was very sore today but not my knees, it is just from being so out of shape from the last 2 years not being able to do to much. I have also started back on my quest to drop some of the weight I have gained and am happy to say I have lost 4lbs already! I am so looking forward to nice weather, it has been very fickle in NY this Spring, warm one day, cold the next...I really want to get my bike out and start riding again. I am not much for excercising inside...much prefer the out of doors stuff.
Anyway, I hope some of this encourages others who may be behind me in my recovery. You will feel so good when the pain is gone...and Thankful too! I know I am.... Keep your chin's up! It IS worth it!!!

Blessings,
Lene

You are where I want to be after I have BTKR: walking your dogs, shopping, doing normal human things. So encouraging to follow your journey!

What a great 6 month report, Lene! I'm so happy you've been able to on with your life minus the pain! :yay:

Great report! Glad to hear how well you are doing, thanks for posting. :goodpost:

What an inspiring recovery! Enjoy your new bionic life! I'm glad your doing so well I'm sure it gives many here hope for the future.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads