Leg with new hip longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendaM

I had a TLHR on 9/24th. I feel when I'm walking that something is stabbing me on the surgical side (in the groin area)and that I have to touch down with my toes on the right foot because my left leg is longer. I asked the PT if she thought it was longer and gave an estimate of 1/2". Will this decrease in time? and could this be whats causing the hip and low back pain? I do not want to go through anymore surgery again. Please HELP!!!!! Brenda

Brenda,
One thing i remember is my doc tellling me that the surgical leg will feeel longer. Mine sure did for a while although mine are equal. I don't know what the pain in the groin could be. In time others will answer. Don't worry it is so early in your recovery, your body has to adjust a lot
judy

Indeed, you're bound to feel longer. Remember that when your hip was diseased, it lost length and you adapted by tilting your pelvis. Most people do. So when the hip was restored to it's proper length (½" isn't all that much) you are naturally aware of it. So the muscles are complaing. Most people experience something similar to this so don't worry too much. Right now you are fresh out of surgery and are going to get a lot of odd aches and pains like this.

btw, what pain meds are you on? And are you taking enough because for less than two weeks you should still be taking a good coverage of pain killers.

That's the lowest dose going. Perhaps your doctor could bump it up a bit to 5mg-500mgs? The extra 350 of acetaminophen could be enough to make the difference. Or you could halve a 500gm of acetaminophen tablet and add one half to your dose. That would make it 10mg-900mgs which is fine.

I go to my doctor tomorrow to have the staples out. I will let you know what he has to say. Thank you for your help.

:thmb:Good luck, Brenda! Do let us know what your OS says! :thmb:
:p

Hey Brenda welcome..im a knee but you came to the right place for advice..great people here....I sure hope you feel better............)it does get beter though.....takes time......I know ugh !!!!!!!!!....lol

Hi Brenda, I had thr 5 months ago, and the doctor gave me an extra 3 cm to make up for a short leg. It felt really long, Like I had a post stuck up my pelvis! but now 5 months on it just feels like the other, the spine has adjusted and levelled out and the chiropractor reckons my lumbar spine is heaps more mobile.... it should eventually feel normal....
Rachel

I had my THR on the 14th and I felt really off balance too but its slowly getting better. I've noticed the biggest improvement this week though...especially since a lot of my surface swelling is gone. My PT said its normal-there's a lot of interior swelling and it can take up to 6 months to be completely gone. Plus as mentioned before me we have all been compensating for our hips. I've had to work really hard at PT to practice "normal walking". I feel ridiculous and it feels wrong but only because I'm not used to it. My family is all amazed at how much better I'm walking. I would say just be patient, ask your doctor, and let you body continue to heal.

Hello everyone:

I had my staples removed yesterday, glad that much is over. Incision looks great. The doctor's assistant, said the leg differance will be absorbed some from what it is now. He said to take one pain pill every 4 hours now and see if that holds down the pain. My PT just left and said I'm doing well with the exercises and walking. My appetite is improving some. I do feel depressed early evening, just as it starts to get dark, I have always been independent, and I guess I think I should be doing more and be in less pain than I am. I do see changes everyday for the better. Shugaplum, are you still using a walker? Still having much pain?

The pain has faded a lot and I only ever used a cane except the first few days in the hospital. I feel like in the last few days (I'm almost 4 weeks now) I really have seen a big change. Just stay positive!! Everyday gets better and the beauty of that is that each time you feel bummed out and in pain you get to remind yourself that this is the worst you'll feel and you won't feel this way ever again!! So hang in there...the staples being removed is big-your mobility will get much better and your body can relax and heal better.

I had my staples removed yesterday ..... I guess I think I should be doing more and be in less pain than I am.

:doh::doh::doh:Why? Don't you think your body takes time to heal? Two weeks - gee wizz,
sweetie - pleeease, give yourself a break!

Brenda, I'm with Jo.....you need to relax and allow yourself permission to heal. This was major surgery and it takes time. Each few days you'll notice small improvements, but don't try to push and rush too much. Your body will heal at its own pace. This is YOUR time!

From the time i was very little until I was 40, my left leg was 1/2 to 1/4" shorter than my right leg. When i had the last THR in 2006, he made the left leg longer than the right leg, and told me that it would take a little time to get used to. I dont have a problem with the lenghth now! Just took some time to adjust to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks