Lounge Doctor

Leg Lenght Discrepancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoggie

I am 6 weeks out from my THR and I am not happy with the results. My surgery went fine, but now I am left with a leg that is 2.54 cm too long. I now have to wear those terribly ugly built-up shoes. The surgeon said that is the first time anything like this has happened and he is terribly sorry...but "sorry" just is not getting it for me. Has anyone else had this much of a discrepancy?...and what was done about it. He does not advise I have a revision but "just need to learn to live with it"....but I am not happy~

MsSplenda56

Hi Phoggie,
I had a leg length discrepancy 3/4 inch. I have been going to the Chiroptactor every week for adjustments. Each week the discrecpancy is better... She said my pelvic was tilted from surgery. I do wear a lift in my left shoe and feels very normal. I was also advised to continue to do the exercises. I was 6 weeks when I started seeing the chiropractor. I know how you feel; at least your doctor admitted. Try a Chiroptractor and keep with the exercises; it will help.

Shirley

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
phoggie, I think your surgeon has either been terribly lucky or is misrepresenting the facts. Depending upon the pre-op condition of the hip, it's not at all unheard of to end up with that much discrepancy. Whilst surgeons generally check many times during the operation to ensure they are producing results with minimal difference, there are always some situations where it just isn't doable for all sorts of reasons.

However, I am sorry to hear of your disappointing results. Like I always say about these ops, everything's good when it goes good.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
I'm curious, phoggie. Before your surgery when you and the doctor were discussing it, did he/she tell you that might be a possibility? Doctors tend to run through a litany of things that "might" happen in a surgery and I'm wondering if this was mentioned to you. I would think it should be. I actually asked my knee doctor straight out how he was going to ensure that the implant would be placed just right so there wouldn't be a change to my leg alignment. He explained it to me....lots of precise measuring before cutting bone. Of course, knees are completely different than hips and I'm sure you cannot make a comparison of the two surgeries. At any rate, I'm hoping for your sake that some time will improve things for you. You will be in my prayers.

OP
OP
P

phoggie

Thanks Jamie~~

I asked him on my last visit, why didn't he tell me of the possibility of this happening and he said, "I am sure I did"....wrong!! If he had mentioned it, I would have remembered that and would have not taken the chance. He said he hadn't ever had this happen to this degree before......makes me wonder~~ Thanks for the prayers....right now I am terribly discouraged and very depressed...especially when the pain in my leg that he said was being caused by the hip is still there!!!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Hang in there and keep up with exercises. I do think things might improve for you....you're still just barely out of surgery. Maybe it would be helpful to get an opinion from another surgeon if you have a way to locate another good one near where you are.

OP
OP
P

phoggie

Finding a GOOD one is the problem. I "thought" I had "the best" that there was in this area......guess I had to be the unlucky one....because he swears that this has never happened to him before......(if you want to believe that)
I do have appointments in Wichita and at the KU Med Center in KC to get opinions as to why they think this might have happened. Thanks for your support.....and have a great day~~

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Are you close to Kansas City??? That's where I'm from and I can definitely recommend my doctor's group. I have heard from several sources (two in the medical community itself) that this is an excellent group. My surgeon was Danny Gurba, Dickson-Dively Orthopedics. They are located on College Boulevard just slightly west of the Missouri-Kansas state line. It is right off I-435. I can tell you more about the practice and my experience with them if you like. I went to another doctor last year for my arthroscopic surgery that didn't turn out so well. I can tell you my experience with two doctors in this practice has been outstanding.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
phoggie, at the top of this forum is a post titled "How to choose a surgeon and a prosthesis". Do read it and arm yourself with the questions which will help you ascertain whether the surgeon IS a good one or not. I know you're not looking to have a revision right now but nevertheless, it will help you to know if the surgeon knows his stuff or is just playing at it. One member here said he was going to choose his surgeon because he only did one hip a week so he could give that patient his undivided attention!! I told him not to waste his time as anyone who was doing less that 500 hips a year was just a hobbyist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HipsterHiker