Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

Standard Shoulder Replacement Left TSR Doctors?

HandyWOMAN

Country
United States United States
OK, I had decided to get my Left shoulder looked at. With the COVID-19 around, I had 2 choices, a 2 week wait for an appointment, or walk-in clinic(they were connected). So I was planning on heading out that day(I only do every 3 weeks or so, because of COVID). I was just checking it out, as I have never had it looked before. So the walk-in clinic was it. X-rays showed I'm already at bone on bone(I saw it), needed to be replaced! Asked if I wanted to set it up!! I said, "Have a LOT to think about first". Who jumps right into these! Thinking back to when it got bad, & "listening to it" day to day since. Need to do it this winter. When I'm somewhat stuck inside, I still am working on my house, & care for 4 acres.

So would like to know how to find/choose the best doctors for this, since a TSR sounds on the newer side compared to hips/knees. Any sites?
I'm in Western NC near Asheville. Was at Advent Health(was Park Ridge) for my nasty table-saw vs arm injury, but it ended up just to stabilized & closed the arm up. The next day, was forced, called & almost yelled at, to come get it checked out a place that ER doctor worked out of? IT WAS AWFUL! They took the bandages & cast off, & left me for 20+ minutes(injury was on the bottom of arm 10" long! So could NOT rest it anywhere). Started not hearing anybody? So I finally go out to the front desk, only two people left in the whole building??? I said, "Did you FORGET, I'm back there unbandaged"? They looked at each other.............. Got next to no info, not a hint on costs, etc. No break for cash $340, to unwrap & rewrap? So I looked somewhere else for the repair surgery, & a 2nd opinion. Ended up using Carolina Hand & Sport.(got a break for cash). But, Doctor acted almost like he was autistic. Barely spoke to me, very little information, retired right after me. Surgery didn't work either. But it could have been just asking for too much. I couldn't afford 2 surgery sites, & don't think there IS a big enough nerve, to risk taking "a piece" from & for splicing the 3" of chewed up ulnar nerve.

I poked around a little, so far, I'm looking at Dr Boykin, with EmergeOrtho, And Dr Andrew Kersten works out of Southeastern Sports & Medicine & Orthopedics, & moves around. Kersten might be expensive, but I only want to do this once! He's doing new things! With computer imaging & looks fousused on shoulders (my right was the worst for a longtime).

Should I do a 1st appointment with both? Then decide? Because I may call Carolina Hand & Sport(I do know they haven't been working "up" the arm to the shoulder for long.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Should I do a 1st appointment with both? Then decide? Because I may call Carolina Hand & Sport(I do know they haven't been working "up" the arm to the shoulder for long.
Yes, I think you should make an appointment with both surgeons.. Make sure you ask them how many shoulder replacements they do each year. You need a surgeon who has plenty of experience replacing shoulders, not someone who just does one or two a year.

For the same reason, I would not choose Carolina Hand and Sport, since they are not yet experienced in dealing with shoulders. In addition, surgery experience in dealing with sport injuries can be quite different from the experience needed to replace shoulders successfully.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
I agree with Celle. Meet with a few surgeons and definitely find out how many shoulder replacements they do each year. It should be their primary focus and not arthroscopic procedures or other joints.

Shoulder replacements aren't new by any means. But the implants and surgical techniques have improved dramatically in the last 10 years or so. The number of replacements is increasing because of that and fortunately it's easier to find surgeons who specialize in this procedure.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
doxie girl
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom