• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Left TKR scheduled for 11/20/19, and having to play Jedi mind tricks on myself

Lovely

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone,
I have been told, most of my life (from age 17, I'm now 48), that because of my structure issues (bilateral release at age 9; two attempted reconstruction surgeries by age 17; bone-on-bone since age 17), replacement would not necessarily hold a positive outcome for me. Now, here I am about a month out from replacement and am now being told that a positive outcome is expected. So, I'm really having to retrain my brain to expect a positive outcome after hearing the opposite for so many years. I am certain that there have been exponential advances in medicine over the years, I am just having a little difficulty getting on the optimism train, yet. Reading your stories, information and support have been a wonderful resource for me. Thank you for your continued commitment to the successful recovery and education of us newbies! :)

Last edited:

kbbroiler

Country
Canada Canada
Okay. Just curious. You said jedi mind tricks. I’m assuming you’re a Star Wars Fan and your surgery is November 20th? We have something in common. My surgery was November 17, 2017 on the dawn of The Last Jedi coming out. So if you are a big fan did you ask your doctor can I go to see the movie I guess it would be like 4 weeks later? I know I did. I went to the movie a cane and sat in the last seat in the aisle so I could stretch my leg. The ironic thing was I did not like it at all. Yes thats me in the pic in the upper left. I’m on of those “white males” Disney is talking about. LOL......I saw the Star Wars reference and the time frame and asked my doctor if I could see the movie. In retrospect, bad idea. I was comfortable for the most part but still sore and then I didn’t enjoy the movie at all. Good luck on the surgery. Me? I’m not going to see The Rise Of Skywalker. I wasn’t impressed with The Last Jedi and I hated Solo. Good Luck!

OP
OP
L

Lovely

Country
@kbbroiler I am not actually a Star Wars fan. The reference to Jedi mind tricks was the only way I could think of to express the roller coaster and mind games that are playing in my brain leading up to my tkr. LOL I will not be in the theater to see The Rise of Skywalker. Sorry to disappoint. :) How are you doing post-tkr?

Pumpkln

Country
@Lovely
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
When you were 17, TKR's were expected to last 10 to 15 years, with time they are finding they are lasting much longer with many individuals still walking around with those very same knees.
I imagine that is why the outlook was less optimistic.
With new surgical techniques and implants, joint replacements are expected to last much longer, and with newer techniques better outcomes are expected.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

OP
OP
L

Lovely

Country
@Pumpkln Thank you for the links! I have read some of them, but I see some new ones in your list that I will definitely check out. I know that it is important to go into surgery with the best mindset possible, so I am trying to get there. I appreciate your encouragement!

OP
OP
L

Lovely

Country
I am finally getting excited about the possibility of no more pain! I am thrilled that I just might make it through winter without the talent of weather prediction. Hahahaha My husband and I joke that I am better than most meteorologists. Just three weeks to go! I'm busy with all of the required pre-op appointments, and today is my joint class. After living with osteoarthritis most of my life, it is difficult for me to imagine a life without arthritis pain. I am wondering what kind, if any, pain I may have or if I can expect to be pain-free post recovery. Can anyone provide insight into that? Much appreciated!

Have a great day, friends! It's a cold Halloween day here in Texas. I am looking forward to the tiny spooks later tonight!

OP
OP
L

Lovely

Country
I went to my joint class yesterday. They told us that we have to stop taking any pain meds that are blood thinners 5 days before surgery. I cannot tolerate Mobic or other blockers, so I use Advil (800 mg every 4-6 hours). We can't even take fish oil or other supplements that have the same effect. Since I will have to be off of my usual pain medicine, does anyone have natural pain remedies that will be safe to use during this time? Thanks, in advance.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Lovely does Tylenol work for you? It is actually a better pain killer than Advil but does not have the side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs.

Unfortunately this is the hard part of waiting - and there isn't really anything that addresses pre-op pain. Limit your activity in the days running up to your surgery date. Try icing as well.

OP
OP
L

Lovely

Country
@Jaycey Tylenol has not worked for the bone pain historically, but I will try it in the days leading up to surgery. I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Tylenol has not worked for the bone pain historically
Yes, there is nothing that really addresses bone on bone pain. But Tylenol may take the edge off. No harm in giving it a try.

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
Try combining the Tylenol with ice. Ice is a great pain duller. Try not to get tense. I found that when I was tense the pain was magnified. This is a good time to listen to calm stuff or meditate on life after surgery.

And distractions are your friend.

Steelergal

Country
Hi @Lovely and welcome! Like you, i've had arthritis and joint pain much of my life. I'm hoping you get the same relief I've felt. I've now been through 2 hip replacements and 1 knee. It's not fun, but I will say that the relief from pain of arthritis or bone on bone was almost immediate for me. There's other pain from the incision and trauma of surgery, but that's manageable with pain meds and you know it's going to end soon. With my new hips, I don't even notice or think about them at this point. My knee is getting close to the that, but I still have some muscle soreness.

My doctor prescribed Celebrex for me pre-surgery. It's an anti inflammatory, but doesn't thin the blood. I took that, along with Tylenol in the days leading up to my surgery and it was helpful. Discuss options like that with your doctor and see if there's something that would work for you. Good luck!

Roy Gardiner

Country
I am wondering what kind, if any, pain I may have or if I can expect to be pain-free post recovery.
In time, you will be pain-free
I will say that the relief from pain of arthritis or bone on bone was almost immediate for me.
Me too.

I could stand, pain free, more or less from the start BUT getting to a standing position was very painful. The permanent bone-on-bone killer pain is gone, replaced by (for me) just as severe but temporary pain in the traumatised soft tissue.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I am finally getting excited about the possibility of no more pain! I am thrilled that I just might make it through winter without the talent of weather prediction. Hahahaha My husband and I joke that I am better than most meteorologists.
You may still be a barometer for a while after the surgery (I was, though I wasn't beforehand ;) ) but for me that went away after a few months, not to return. :tada:

OP
OP
L

Lovely

Country
@Roy Gardiner and @kneeper - Thanks for the encouragement regarding pain. I am thrilled with the possibility of short-term "recovery" pain as opposed to the daily pain I've lived with most of my life. Cheers!:loveshwr:

OP
OP
L

Lovely

Country
Try combining the Tylenol with ice. Ice is a great pain duller. Try not to get tense. I found that when I was tense the pain was magnified. This is a good time to listen to calm stuff or meditate on life after surgery.

And distractions are your friend.
Great advice! I would not have thought about tension being a factor. Makes perfect sense though. I have a positivity journal ready to go! My faith will be a huge part of my recovery. I also purchased some word find, crossword, and adult coloring books! :flwrysmile:

Helizabug

Country
My surgery is a week after yours. In the past, I’ve had six surgeries on this knee and one big Achilles reconstruction on the right. With the most recent surgeries, my iPad and laptop have been my friends. Working the New York Times Crosswords and other pencil puzzles electronically is great because your handwriting doesn’t matter, drifting off mid-word doesn’t matter, and the answers are easy to find if you need hints. I also became a wicked Riichi Mahjong player, online, once my focus was better.

Also, there are some pretty good graphic novels (comic books) out there that can be easier to read, but pretty immersive. Reading them on the Kindle app works well because you can enlarge and isolate frames, if you’re having trouble focusing. There are superheroes, as you would expect, but there are also adapted classic novels, memoirs, and even visual explanations of art and science. I find graphic novels really helpful when I want to read, but I can’t float on a current of text, alone.

And, I swear by audiobooks. I often have to listen to passages a few times to get everything I want from them, but the readers are, often, worth listening to more than once.

Let me know if you want, or have, some specific recommendations.

OP
OP
L

Lovely

Country
@Helizabug Wow, I'm sorry that you have had to endure so many surgeries. I can't imagine. I'm thankful to benefit from your expertise! :yay:Those are great suggestions! I have never thought about electronic puzzles. I have several audio books qued to enjoy. Thanks to our adult children, our inside Christmas decorations are up and beautiful, too! I'm on the 2-week countdown and getting excited!

Helizabug

Country
I’ll be watching for your posts, hoping to read that you’re recovering well!

OP
OP
L

Lovely

Country
I'm on the one-week countdown! I have my final pre-op appointment with my surgeon tomorrow morning. I had a CT scan yesterday so they can map out the area with the robotic arm. I hear that significantly decreases the margin of error and also recovery time. Does anyone know whether you can receive a steroid or other anti-inflammatory shot in your hip a week out from TKR? My right hip is super angry from having to take the weight off of my left knee for the past three months after the dislocation. It's keeping me awake more than the arthritis these days.

Cheers!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Campie2
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom