TKR Left TKR November 13, 2019

"Common Peroneal Nerve Neuropathy"?

I can't believe I haven't posted here since late April! I hope everyone is progressing well. I'm doing OK at just about 8 months post-left TKR, but I've had persistent numbness, not only across the front of my knee, but down the outside of my left leg and into my foot. It's not pain -- it doesn't hurt -- it's just annoying, the constant numbness. I've been kind of ignoring it for several months (it's been like this since December -- I mentioned it to my ortho surgeon in early January) because we were in COVID-19 lockdown here for months.

I thought it might be from the tourniquet used during the surgery, or from the liposomal bupivacaine nerve block used in the knee during the surgery, or from lumbosacral radiculopathy that has caused severe pain in my left lower back in the past. My primary care doctor said to see a neurologist, so I went to one this morning.

He didn't do any formal tests, but after sticking me with a pin and brushing the skin of my leg with other things and testing me various ways (hopping, toe stands, heel stands, etc.), the neurologist said it was "common peroneal nerve neuropathy." He said it may well go away yet, but it may not. He said it's from compression of the nerve. I said, you mean, during the surgery? He said no, that badly arthritic knees are usually swollen, and that constant swelling puts pressure on the nerve.

Why does the cynical suspicious part of me think that doctors cover for each other, and that's why he wouldn't say it had anything to do with the surgery? I'm not saying that it was cut during the surgery (those are different nerves over the front of the knee, aren't they, that are cut when the incision is made?), or that something was done wrong, but things are stretched and pulled during the surgery and perhaps it was damaged that way?

Afterwards (I always think of these things later) I was wondering, if it's just because I had bad OA in that knee for a long time and the swelling compressed the peroneal nerve, then why didn't I have this problem before the surgery? And why don't I have this problem in my non-operated right leg (which has a swollen painful arthritic knee)? I have to research this some more.

I did do some reading, and I know it could be worse; I don't have pain, and I don't have drop foot. It's just this constant, unpleasant feeling of numbness/tingling, from my left knee to the outside of my calf, down into the bottom of my foot and into my toes. Honestly, I don't think it's improved at all in the past 6 months; if anything, it's becoming more pronounced and noticeable to me.

Then I was wondering if maybe this numbness had something to do with the fact that I tripped and fell again (my first trip-and-fall was in April); I tripped again a few weeks ago, walking upstairs from my home office to the kitchen. My left foot/toes (of my slipper) got caught on a step, and I fell forward onto my knees. Maybe my foot isn't lifting up entirely correctly? Can the numbness cause muscle weakness? The ortho surgeon wasn't happy with my left quad strength at a couple of post-op visits, but it was better the last time I saw him in mid-May. The left leg still doesn't feel strong to me.

So the neurologist said to give it more time and it may get better (or not).

I did a search on these forums for "peroneal nerve" and found quite a few posts about problems post-TKR and -THR with the common peroneal nerve; but most of the posts were from a few years ago. Has anyone on BoneSmart now had any experience with this? Is there anything more I should be doing? Maybe some exercises or -- I shudder to say this -- physical therapy (only because of the painful memories from earlier in this process)? Thank you.

I still have numbness on the lateral side of my knee, but not to the extent yours is. It sounds like you have tried almost all of the options available to find a fix for this. I will see if any more of the staff can offer you some suggestions.

the neurologist said it was "common peroneal nerve neuropathy." He said it may well go away yet, but it may not. He said it's from compression of the nerve. I said, you mean, during the surgery? He said no, that badly arthritic knees are usually swollen, and that constant swelling puts pressure on the nerve.
I think you've done all the right things and it's good that you've seen a neurologist.
i agree with what he said. This may get better, given more time, but it may not. There's no way at this stage that he could predict which will happen. It really is going to be a matter of "wait and see".

There's also no way that the neurologist could be sure how your nerve came to be damaged. The nerve runs across the outside of your fibula, where you can feel a knob on the outside of your leg. It can be damaged by being compressed due to swelling, or due to the position your leg is held in.

The surgery itself should not have damaged the peroneal nerve, as the cutting and shaping of bone is done to the tibia, above that level. The fibula isn't cut. But it is possible that holding and manipulating your leg during surgery, or moving some of your soft tissues aside during surgery caused some compression of that nerve. No one would be able to tell you if that's what happened.

One thing you can do now, to prevent any further damage, is to avoid crossing your legs or putting long-term pressure on the back or side of your knee.

I'm sorry I can't tell you anything more definite than that.

Thinking About Getting the Other Knee Done, but Questions (of Course)

Hi! It's been awhile (just over a year and a half since my left TKR) and I think I'm mentally preparing myself to get the right knee done. It hurts a lot, and I have to be careful going downstairs because it likes to give out on me with no warning. My original plan had been to get it done about a year after the first one, but the pandemic got in the way last year.

The surgeon who did my left knee retired, so yesterday I had my first appointment with another surgeon. He mentioned that I could do same-day TKR and I said, "Would I have to?" For the left knee, I was in for 3 nights because it took some time for my blood pressure to get back up to normal (related to anesthesia and/or blood loss/anemia? Not sure). I also remember that I was unable to put any weight on the knee the first day. I asked him if he'd be able to access the records from my first TKR and he said he would be. I just don't want to be rushed home the same day if I shouldn't be. I realize that no two knee experiences are the same; but I also want my second-knee surgeon to inform himself about how things went for me with the first knee.

Has anyone here has the experience of having your knees replaced by two different surgeons? Does the second surgeon actually want to know or care how the first one went? I want him to know. I'm just not sure how to make that happen. Which records would contain the information about what was happening with my blood pressure? Can I get ahold of those and provide them to him? Or am I worrying about this unnecessarily? I think I have to look out for myself.

Thanks in advance for any insights or advice! I appreciate it.

@Seatides
Welcome back to BoneSmart! :welome:

@Celle had her revision of her PKR and her second knee done by another surgeon after her first surgeon retired. You can see that information in her signature in post #123. I have tagged her to come and talk to you.

Same day surgery is becoming more common. If a patient needs to stay longer for medical reasons such as yours, they will stay in hospital until they are stabilized and ready for discharge.

Which records would contain the information about what was happening with my blood pressure?
The hospital will have these records. If your new surgeon has a relationship with the same hospital he will be able to obtain the records.
You can obtain them by contacting Medical Records at the hospital.

Or am I worrying about this unnecessarily?
Probably more than you need to, I think your description of your previous post op challenges will alert him to be on the look out for any similar problems happening.

You will find a few returning members currently recovering from their second TKR, hopefully they will see your post and help answer your questions/

If you would like to change your thread title, post it here and a moderator will change it for you.
Thanks,
Chris

Has anyone here has the experience of having your knees replaced by two different surgeons? Does the second surgeon actually want to know or care how the first one went?
In my case it was hips replaced by two different surgeons. It was no problem. I discussed all my concerns with the new surgeon and he did access my health records. My second THR was actually an easier recovery.

Please don't worry about being rushed out of the hospital. If you are not ready to be discharged they certainly won't throw you out. Day case is just an option for you.

My Sister was supposed to go home the next day but her blood count was low so they kept her another day and would have kept her longer if it hadn’t come up. Same day surgery is the optimal they are hoping for, but if your B/P becomes an issue, they will not discharge you.

I’ve gone home the same day for all 3 of my replacements. They WON’T let you go if you don’t meet all the requirements including weight bearing, blood pressure, pain control etc. But if all that is good I know I’m way more comfortable in my own space rather than the hospital.

@Celle had her revision of her PKR and her second knee done by another surgeon after her first surgeon retired. You can see that information in her signature in post #123. I have tagged her to come and talk to you.
I have been fortunate in my surgeons.
My first surgeon, who did my PKR, was meticulous. That PKR gave me back the active life I had been missing. It lasted for 11 years, and then failed suddenly while I was on holiday in Canada.

I had to travel back to NZ and find a new surgeon, as my original surgeon had retired.
I asked my own doctor who was the best surgeon in town and and who he would go to. He recommended Julian Stoddart.

I liked Julian Stoddart from the first. He explained everything, with diagrams when necessary. He was very approachable and sounded caring. I had learned from another surgeon that Julian was the one that other surgeons referred their difficult cases to.

My Revision from PKR to TKR was a success. It's 10 years old now and still doing well.
I had my other knee replaced 6 years ago and that is doing well, too.

Thank you, Pumpkln, Jaycey, Sisterpat, FCBayern, and Celle.
You answered my questions and I feel much better about moving ahead with getting my second knee done. It's hard to fully enjoy my one good knee because the bad one still makes walking so painful. I'd love to go for a walk without the pain! Time to start planning.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie