BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

LEFT TKR coming 5/15/19 after Tibial Plateau Fracture 5/26/18

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by fenway09, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:47 AM.

1. fenway09

fenway09 junior member

United States United States
    Hi all......feeling some definite anxiety about upcoming LEFT TKR but anything has to be better than this PTOA (Post Traumatic Osteo-Arthritis) that developed after TPF (Tibial Plateau Fracture). I am wondering if anyone else has found themselves in this same position following a TPF? It will be great to have some support from those with similar experience.
    ~sarah

LEFT TPF with ORIF (Open Reductoin and Internal Fixation) surgery 2.5 cm depression with bone graft and 2 screws 5/18
    LEFT Knee arthroscopic surgery to clean up cartilage and remove hardware ( 2 screws) 12/18
    LEFT Total HIP replacement 9/2015 Anterior lateral approach NEB

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 5:30 PM
  2. Cynof4

Cynof4 new member

fenway09,

I am having right TKR on June 12th following a TPF (July 5, 2018) and arthroscopy (January 16, 2019). I was on vacation in St. Lucia when I sustained the TPF while deep sea fishing. I've had nothing but trouble with my knee since then. I'm hoping the TKR will get me back to my active lifestyle! I just have to wait until June 12th! I wish it was sooner, but I'm a dyslexia therapist in a school setting and need to be there until school is over for my kiddos.

I have a thread in pre-op called "pre-op questions???"

Please stay in touch and let me know how you're doing!

• Like Like x 1
  3. fenway09

fenway09 junior member

Thanks for your prompt response. This TPF has been a nightmare. Nothing but pain, pain and more pain. I am hoping that the TKR will help alleviate 90 percent of it. I went from zero arthritis pre-tpf to 100 percent late stage PTOA afterwards. Yes, I just followed you and I will keep you apprised of my progress. I am scared but I keep thinking it cannot be much worse then the initial pain I had from the TPF. Take care.

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Sarah, @fenway09 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us which knee it is, and also which hip was replaced, so we can make a complete signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

It sounds as if the past year has been pretty hard for you. I hope that the next year will be better.

Recovery from a knee replacement is a bit harder than recovery from a hip replacement, because the knee is a more complex joint, but it sounds as if a TKR is going to greatly improve your knee.
    TKR or THR: which is more difficult surgery for recovery?

Recovery from a TKR takes a long time - as long as a full year for everything to heal - but you should be feeling much better long before that. The first months is hard, but from the start you will be free of that awful arthritic pain.

Here is some pre-op reading for you:
    If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    And here's the approach to recovery that we recommend:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

6. Cynof4

Cynof4 new member

Sarah,

I agree! The pain from the TPF was awful-especially for the first few days! I had to stay on the boat for a few hours to get back to the island where 3 or 4 burly men actually lifted me off the boat deck and into a van that took us on bumpy roads back to the resort. I was NOT a happy camper! Then the swelling set in and I was a hot mess for a few days!

Hopefully, the TKR will get us both on the road to recovery! I followed you back :wave:

Cynthia

• Friendly Friendly x 1