BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:>

Dismiss Notice

Left TKR 23 Jan

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by thegoose2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. thegoose2

thegoose2 junior member

United States United States
    Feeling anxious as to be expected. Usually procedures don’t bother me but this one feels major. Having trouble with the idea of needing TKR and of hearing a doctor say the words “severe arthritis”. It was okay to be middle aged with arthritis. Now I’m elderly facing staged TKR surgeries.

I find myself withdrawing into myself even when I’m not consciously thinking about surgery. Wish it were happening sooner so the stress of waiting would be over.

Apprehensive about post-op as well... I sound just like everyone else, eh?!!?

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to Bonesmart!

All normal, yes! But you have an advantage over many others, you found Bonesmart before your surgery. You will have more information going in than those of us who didn’t find Bonesmart until after. (I didn’t until about 4 weeks post op)

Ask all your questions and we’ll do our best to answer.

Go over to the Recovery side and read their experiences, to find out what’s in a general “normal” range (keeping in mind we are all different and we shouldn’t compare!).

Reading Recovery threads will also show you what’s good to do and what’s not good to do.

Best wishes!

3. ebungalow

ebungalow member

Hi @thegoose2

Yes, as you said, those feelings are entirely normal.

Which doesn’t necessarily help when they’re your feelings!

And it IS the anticipation that can be so unsettling.

I’ve had three joint replacements—they all went well (knock on wood)—and think I was actually the most anxious about this last replacement.

Not for any particular reason, just because that’s the way the anxiety worked.

Luckily I was working so that helped keep my mind busy.

I also cooked and froze a lot of food to help keep myself occupied. I cleaned out closets and drawers. Really did anything that would seem helpful to keep me from brooding.

I’ll bet you’re going to do so well! It’ll change your life and you’ll feel so much better.

Post op is challenging, but very doable. I’ve started thinking about it as a relatively few months of challenge and discomfort in exchange for years and years of less pain and more functionality.

It also helped/helps a lot to spend time reading posts on BoneSmart!

• Like Like x 1
  4. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I agree---I was a mess and a total pest on Bonesmart!! I think Jo told me to "buck up" once I was so anxious and nervous and complaining!!! I had the same feelings of being an old woman and needing arthritis surgery which I was sure would turn my life upside down.

I am happy to tell you that none of the above was true. I am now ten years older and a REAL OLD LADY!! But, I am still having lots of fun with knees that do not hurt me! I moved from Montana--but skied on those knees for 9 years. Now I am cross country racing on those knees and having a ball while living in the flat lands of the midwest!! I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, my life has not ended!!

So, rejoice that soon the pain will end and you will start a new, painfree chapter of your life!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Here is some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

6. thegoose2

thegoose2 junior member

Thanks for the support. I really need it. I have a wonderful husband but he has never had to have anything medical, including any medications. So while he is supportive he can’t fully understand. And I tend to withdraw and brood a bit so I’m not good at explaining.

“cleaned out closets and drawers. Really did anything that would seem helpful to keep me from brooding.”
    Had to laugh as I spent the morning purging all of the bathroom cupboards and closets!!

Doing lots of reading on this site, printing much of the material, and hoping time speeds up a bit...
    Thanks again.

7. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Most of us did an amazing amount of clearing out pre-op. Just part of the process of preparing and organising. Hope the time goes quickly for you!

8. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Once you've made the decision to do it the waiting can be difficult. I had to wait a few months due to my work schedule and though I was anxious about the surgery, I was eager at the same time.
    The tkr turned out quite well and in retrospect I don't know how I was managing before the surgery. I feel like I went from :old: to :walking:

• Like Like x 1
  9. thegoose2

thegoose2 junior member

Thanks for the encouragement! The waiting is hard! And knowing that I’m having staged surgeries makes me more anxious to get started. I look at it as an investment in my future and I want to get it over and done so I can enjoy the things I want to do.

10. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Staged surgeries? Is a second knee replacement planned?

11. thegoose2

thegoose2 junior member

Yes. Left on the 23rd, right 6-12 weeks later. Hoping for soonest possible timing. Would have gone with bilateral had my surgeon felt it appropriate but nope.
    This endless week is passing. Still stressed but coping. Some diversions planned next week so I’m hoping it will help.

12. thegoose2

thegoose2 junior member

So I made it to the end of the endless week! We have another week to go but it is a busy one filled with diversions so I am hopeful that the time will seem to pass more quickly.
    I continue to feel stressed and have come to realize it is mostly the lack of control. I am a planner and this is not something that can be neatly fit into place how and where I want it. Even minor things, like not being able to schedule more than just my first physical therapy appointment get me upset, let alone not being able to nail down a definite date for my RTKR.
    I do have a history of depression so I know that isn’t helping. But I can’t wait to get this started.
    Doing as many of the pre-op exercises as I can and we have purchased many of the recommended post-op items. I am sooooo ready. Now if only my surgery date would get here!

13. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

I know exactly how you feel about the control aspect. I hate to say it but your lack of being able to call the shots only intensifies post op. Quite the adjustment for me but I have learned to just go with it and that's a lot less stressful. Try not to fight it too much because you will really have limited energy and I had to choose to spend mine on getting better. You will do fine.

14. Smokey253

Smokey253 member

“So I made it to the end of the endless week! We have another week to go but it is a busy one filled with diversions so I am hopeful that the time will seem to pass more quickly.
    I continue to feel stressed and have come to realize it is mostly the lack of control. I am a planner and this is not something that can be neatly fit into place how and where I want it. Even minor things, like not being able to schedule more than just my first physical therapy appointment get me upset, let alone not being able to nail down a definite date for my RTKR. “

Not sure I posted your quote correctly but after reading it I can relate! I so understand! Frustrated at feeling disabled and in pain now and each day turning to endless weeks before the actual surgery and then recovery along with more endless days and weeks before the 2nd one can be done then more healing and recovery! On top of all that just plain scared of the unknown and not in control of the outcome! Stay strong

15. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Smokey253 - This article may helpyou to use quotes:
    How to use the quote feature

@thegoose2 - One thing you'll learn during recovery is that your knee is in control. It will have its own plan for recovery and you won't be able to influence that plan. Your job will be to listen to the messages your knee sends you, and do everything you can to keep it happy.

The knee will be the boss. Sometimes it will seem to be making good progress, sometimes it will seem to stall for a while, and sometimes it will take two steps forward and one step backwards. Recovery isn't going to be a straight linear progression. It's more like a roller-coaster. And it will take a long time.

Don't stress about PT. If you get a good therapist, it can be helpful, but beware of any PT therapist who wants you to work extra hard, or push through the pain. Both those actions are bad for a new knee.

It's not exercising that gets you your Range of Motion (ROM) - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

16. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

hang in there-not long now!

17. thegoose2

thegoose2 junior member

Our diverting week has ended. Great time with family but my impending surgery was never far from my mind.
    Have been going through the pre-op doubts. If I avoid stairs and limit other extremely painful situations, surely I don’t need to do something so radical. People are in a lot worse shape and coping. I know it’s a symptom of fear of the unknown, but that voice in my head can be compelling.
    I have come to rely on this site for info and inspiration. Am especially interested to read about my other January companions as we are all in this together...

18. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    That voice in your head is telling you the wrong thing. If you postpone teh surgery, your knee will immediately start to feel worse.

It's only a few more days and you'll have a brand new knee. While you will have post-op pain, that pain will gradually decrease. You'll be rid of all the arthritic pain, which would only have got worse if you didn't have the surgery.

We've all been through the pre-op nerves, so we understand. Feel free to vent and we'll listen. We'll be here for you after your surgery as well.

19. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

I know this is scary. I am about 7 weeks out and the recovery has been tough but I have not regretted it. I am so happy all that awful arthritic pain is absolutely gone. The pain I have now is recovery pain and it's improving but the pain before surgery was only getting worse. My knee is feeling steady and strong. This forum will be an amazing resource for you as well. I couldn't imagine it not being here during this recovery.

20. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

I can definitely feel my artificial knee but I am still very early in recovery so time may make a difference.