THR Left THR

@Layla good morning! Happy Wednesday! Hope all is well with you! My 1 month is tomorrow...... all is continuing to go well with everything! Thus far I’m very pleased with how it’s all going! I have my 1st post op checkup with my surgeon Friday so I’m excited/very interested to see what he says!

I’m assuming they take X-rays now post op to make sure everything looks good?

Good Morning to you! It’s nice to read all is well and that you’re pleased with your progress. I‘m sure your surgeon will be delighted also. Getting a nod from the OS is always reassuring, even when you‘re already feeling confident. I’m sure there will be an x-ray involved, I had one at my first post op, three weeks after surgery and I believe it’s pretty common.

Thank you for updating. Often those who are doing really well don’t post as frequently but recoveries such as yours are very encouraging to those awaiting surgery, or following closely behind you in the healing process. I know positive updates inspired me and through reading them I took mental notes of what I may be doing at different points along the way early on.

I wish you all the best for your Friday appt. We‘d love to hear the good news afterward if you care to share at some point.

Happy Wednesday! :wave:
@Humbleservant

@Raftin21 hope all is well! Did your surgeon lift any restrictions at ur first post op appointment? Like breaking 90 degrees or anything? My first is coming up Friday, which is just over 4 weeks since surgery! Just curious, with feeling like recovery is going very well and PT actually feels like it’s helping quite a bit (I know there’s very mixed opinions with PT), maybe I’m being too optimistic!

If anyone else has any experiences please feel free! I just know raftin21 is not too far ahead in the recovery!

I know the PT is NOT my surgeon and there is a mix of opinions, but my PT is telling me because my recovery is going so well, the shape I’m in and my age, he has encouraged me to walk unassisted for the past week, week and a half because I can walk with good form! I do truly feel good, even tho the muscles get tired during PT, but Im pretty much pain free, which I’m very happy with! I’m just not sure if my surgeon will be happy when I walk into his office with no crutch or cane, as I cant really remember what he said as far as walking without assistance and how long before!

Don’t get me wrong, if I sit too long my hip gets a little stiff and if I stand longer than I should my hip will get stiff and muscles tired because they lack the endurance, but I’m absolutely thrilled so far with recovery!

Side note, being home this length of time and 2 more months to go, has truly been a blessing for me, my wife and our 3 kids UNDER 5 YEARS OLD!!!! And expecting our 4th end of June! All so exciting! Now I just hope my right hip holds up a few years!

Hey! I am so glad you’re doing so well and getting good time with your family! That is awesome! I do find it amazing how different OS are... mine said I had no restrictions. With the anterior the main thing he said to watch was not bringing my leg too far behind me because of the incision in the front, but no restrictions.

It sounds like you are listening to your body and not overdoing it... I think you’re OS will be thrilled! PT has really helped me as well... I think if you get a good one it can be a great help, but it seems like there’s a lot of bad ones out there.

I know the PT is NOT my surgeon and there is a mix of opinions, but my PT is telling me because my recovery is going so well, the shape I’m in and my age, he has encouraged me to walk unassisted for the past week, week and a half because I can walk with good form!
It's not so much a mix of opinions about PT @Humbleservant, but the need to make sure the PT you are doing is appropriate for YOU. The key is listening to your body after PT, and realizing if was too much or not. We have many members that do well with PT early on, and others where PT is to aggressive, or their particular joint is just not ready for the activity. While you can't rush this recovery, being young does still have it's advantages (not jealous, not jealous)! :heehee:

Did your surgeon lift any restrictions at ur first post op appointment? Like breaking 90 degrees or anything?
My followup appointments were 6 weeks post op (both hips). I only had restrictions after my LTHR and all were lifted at that appointment.

Sounds like you are doing very well!

Can I get some feedback on people that have/had advanced OA in both hips, 1 hip being worse and needing THR and the other not NEEDING thr just yet, as there’s still a little cartilage left and not too painful yet, I just “notice it” and know it’s there! I was curious (I know it’s different with every situation) but did having THR on one side alleviate pain and maybe slow the progression on the other at all? Possibly extending the life of the original hip before having to have THR on the second hip? Thanks in advance!

Good Morning HS :wave:
I have arthritis in my other hip also. I feel a twinge now and then, but for the most part still feel normal. It is not hindering me in any way. I did ask the OS at my one year post op, how long he thought I had with the other (non op) hip. His answer was “years”. I didn’t want to press him, nor did I really want to hear a number. While I don’t relish the thought of another surgery, or recovery, who does...I will never go as long as I did the first time, suffering with pain, limited mobility and limping.

As your gait changes again, which it does after THR, see if you notice a change in your right hip, less pressure, less pain. Initially, the thought of “when?” hanging over my head bothered me. I made the decision to let it go, realizing I’d know when the time came, deal with it then and until then enjoy life. When you’re unable to live life comfortably without pain and limitations, it’s time to give THR serious consideration.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful weekend and a Happy Easter!
@Humbleservant

did having THR on one side alleviate pain and maybe slow the progression on the other at all
Unfortunately nothing will slow the progression of OA. I was concerned about the same issue post my first THR (left). The x-ray didn't show any problems with my right hip the day I was discharged post LTHR.

But just over 3 years later that hip started to complain enough that I couldn't ignore it anymore. In my case the recovery from my second THR was much easier.

1 month Post Op appointment was today! OS said everything looks great and lifted pretty much all restrictions! Stated I can start doing more and more including tying my shoe haha which I’m happy about.... only thing he said was that when I break 90 degrees bending, to have my knees pointed out! I’m thrilled and looking forward on continuing to recover and improve!

@Layla thanks for sharing your experience! I totally forgot to ask my OS at my post op appointment today! I’m such a dummy! I’m hoping it lasts “years” like yours told you!

@Jaycey thank you for sharing your experience as well! 3 years later I hope my other lasts at least that long lol!

Nonetheless, 1 step at a time!

So my first PT session since surgeon lifted restrictions this past Friday and they ramped it up a bit for me! It sure feels a little weird being able to put bands around my ankles and and ankle weights on myself or really, just bending over at all now!certainly doesn’t feel normal lol

I was in shock that a 2lb ankle weight felt like 1,000,000 lbs trying to lift to the side lol!
One thing I notice is when I break 90 day to put a sock on the operated hip side, I feel quite a strain on my left glute muscle. Which I’m sure is pretty normal as these are the first times I’m breaking 90!

I notice I still walk with a little bit of a limp , if I watch closely enough I can see it! Not because of pain but maybe just habit? I have to really pay attention to my gait in order to walk “normal”.......I kind of just realized it as I walked past the glass doors today and the PT noticed it too!

I also realized because of overcompensating so much, bending over a certain way for so long, because of the “worse” hip preop, that I naturally bend down to pick something off the floor the way I used to preop!

So much to relearn and so much muscle and endurance needed to be regained!

Anyways, just some things I’m noticing! Have a great rest of your Monday!

@Humbleservant They started you with 2lb weights? IF that feels like too much or if tomorrow or tonight your hip is sore or stiff try dialing back to 1lb. When I had to add weights I used 1lb bags of uncooked rice- just slide into the top of your sock.

As for the limp - at home are you wearing shoes or slippers? If so try walking around in just socks or bare feet. My "shower thought" is our bodies have muscle memories - the body remembers the motions it made for so long when current movement is associated with what was typical before - ie wearing shoes. Particularly for now try to avoid wearing shoes you wore to work. Stick to flip flops if it's warm enough or sneakers or similar non work shoes. When walking bare foot be sure to avoid the Legos and other toys - don't want bruised feet or danger of taking a fall. Also if possible try walking bare foot outside on the lawn (also being careful to avoid rocks or other sharp things).
And yes pay attention to walking - stand as straight as possible, heel, toe, heel, toe. It will work itself out soon.

Over all it sounds like you are doing very well :)

@djklaugh i started with no weights, then 1lb over a week or 2 and now I’m on 2lb starting today and same thing with bands doing clamshells and monster walks and side steps! The bag of rice in sock is a smart idea! I’m going to have to try that!

At home I just bough new pair of crocs sandals that I wear around the house and to the store! While inside I wear slippers most of the time! To PT I wear sneakers that I bought and wore for probably a month or 2 before surgery!

It’s supposed to be beautiful outside the next few days and will try the barefoot on the lawn for sure!

Thank you!!!

PS. In my house it’s trying to avoid the dinosaurs that have ever so sharp tails, horns and claws and monster trucks lol

So my first PT session since surgeon lifted restrictions this past Friday and they ramped it up a bit for me! It sure feels a little weird being able to put bands around my ankles and and ankle weights on myself or really, just bending over at all now!certainly doesn’t feel normal lol

I was in shock that a 2lb ankle weight felt like 1,000,000 lbs trying to lift to the side lol!
One thing I notice is when I break 90 day to put a sock on the operated hip side, I feel quite a strain on my left glute muscle. Which I’m sure is pretty normal as these are the first times I’m breaking 90!

I notice I still walk with a little bit of a limp , if I watch closely enough I can see it! Not because of pain but maybe just habit? I have to really pay attention to my gait in order to walk “normal”.......I kind of just realized it as I walked past the glass doors today and the PT noticed it too!

I also realized because of overcompensating so much, bending over a certain way for so long, because of the “worse” hip preop, that I naturally bend down to pick something off the floor the way I used to preop!

So much to relearn and so much muscle and endurance needed to be regained!

Anyways, just some things I’m noticing! Have a great rest of your Monday!
Oh wow @Humbleservant you're allowed to break 90 after one month post-op! I think your surgery was anterior right? I’m so looking forward to bending and lifting up the kiddos but with lateral approach I think I have to wait a little longer. I’m a rule follower, so I’ll listen to what the surgeon says, but it is definitely tempting now that the initial post-op pain is gone.
Dinosaurs and legos are big in this household too, so I’ve definitely been on high alert for those people lol

@HipMom143 heyyyy hope all’s continuing to go well for you! I actually had posterior! And yes he lifted all the restrictions! He took an X-ray and everything looked great! It def feels weird and a little uncomfortable to be honest when breaking 90! My hip def tells me when I’m doing too much with bending and pt activities! It gets stiff and I feel a stretching/strain in the glute muscle! It’s really nice being able to put my own sock on unassisted, pick something up of the floor and put my shoes on lol!!!!!!

Yes it was very tempting for me too before getting the “all clear” especially with kiddos and picking up toys and messes lol!

I actually had posterior! And yes he lifted all the restrictions!
That’s awesome! My next appointment is May 5th, I’ll be 7 weeks by then, so I’m hoping to be done with the restrictions by then
Yes it was very tempting for me too before getting the “all clear” especially with kiddos and picking up toys and messes lol!
I’ve mastered 2 techniques for moving hazards - first is the golfers reach and the second is to kick them out of the way with my crutch

Hello HS:wave:Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Just catching up here and you seem to be doing really well.
May it only get better and better. Also...thank you for serving and protecting. :)
@Humbleservant

Hello @Layla good to see your message and thank you! All is going pretty well! How are you doing? I have zero complaints as everything continues to heal and improve! PT 2x a week now instead of 3 until I go back to work June 1 or around June 1! My right hip now has been acting up on me quite a bit I’m betting from the PT and more activity in general! But I cannot complain at all about the op hip! In my opinion it’s been awesome and the improvements are amazing! Still amazes me that THR’s are possible! Praise God

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back