THR Left THR

Could just be normal sensations that happen as you’re healing. You most likely will begin feeling sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even quick zaps like the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process. If it’s more of a pain, or discomfort, keep the ice going.
Hope your evening is a relaxing one.
@Humbleservant

Day 3/4ish post op! I can say I don’t wake up with a debilitating lower back pain, nor do I wake up with my other hip being sore! It’s awesome and relieving! I was nervous to get up after sleeping the night as that’s when I’ve had the most intense pain each day after surgery, but I was relieved that it feels better than it has! Its a beautiful morning here in Massachusetts and I stood on my porch and just marveled at the beauty, looking forward to going for walks outside in the near future! I’ve been icing constantly like I’ve said before and it’s done a world of good helping with swelling and pain management! One thing that has got me a little worried is I haven’t had a bowel movement since surgery and I’ve been eating the right foods to help it and taking over the counter stuff to help it and drinking fluids constantly! How long did it take orhers I that have had it done if they wouldn’t mind sharing?

This article from our Library might help. Constipation and stool softeners It's a very common problem post op. The anaesthetic and pain meds seem to slow down the system. Warm prune juice gets results for many of our members.

Its a beautiful morning here in Massachusetts and I stood on my porch and just marveled at the beauty, looking forward to going for walks outside in the near future!

It’s amazing how this surgery gives us a new outlook, lifts our spirits and makes us once again appreciate little things taken for granted, things that became difficult as our hip deteriorated, once again become possible.

Constipation has gone on longer for many, so try not to worry, it won’t last. Aside from the article, Jaycey, left, Pumpkin Purée has been suggested on the forum as a cure for Constipation. This is with Pumpkin Puree' being the ONLY ingredient in the can.
Cinnamon can be sprinkled on top. Might be worth a try if all else fails.

Hope today is a good day!

And I don’t know about others but I keep the ice on for quite a long time! Even fall asleep with the ice machine strapped to my hip
@Humbleservant which ice machine do you have? I’ve narrowed my options to three machines, so I’m curious to hear your feedback. Sounds like your recovery is going great so far, I’ll be reading along since mine is in 2 weeks

@HipMom143 i have the ‘Breg Polar Care’ and love it! Fill it with ice and some water and it lasts like 6-8 hours and I pretty much just leave it attached to my leg unless I get up to go to the bathroom or walk around the house!

Day 5 Post Op from Left THR and doing better everyday! Able to get up and sit down by myself (my recliner is a swivel chair so it was difficult) and walk about with my walker and able to put a majority of my weight on my feet! My gait is getting much better and more comfortable! Was able to help with getting my kids breakfast, nothing crazy and a little tired after that so taking a rest! Day 2 of PT today so we will see what that brings! Hope all have a good day

my ice machine was also a Breg and was my best friend during recovery. As I posted 4 water bottles fit perfectly and then filled with water. I could swap out the bottles and not have to dump the reservoir but once a day. I had 1 recliner that moved so we blocked it up so it was stationary. One mistake is all it takes in the early days and I didn't want to risk it. Been a few posters that have dislocated or fell early on, not recommended.

Was able to help with getting my kids breakfast, nothing crazy and a little tired after that so taking a rest!

You almost have to laugh at how ridiculous this seems, but we all experience it. It certainly doesn’t take much to feel depleted in the early days, weeks even!

You seem to be doing really well, high spirits always too. I hope you have a good PT session and maybe even a little nap this afternoon. :sleep:
Happy Friday!

I had 1 recliner that moved so we blocked it up so it was stationary.

Smart thinking, mine didn't swivel, but I suppose that could be a hazard. How did you block it, @Eman85 in case, HS, wants to try it?

I have a good supply of scrap lumber and steel around the shop. I had my son do some creative stacking as I knew it was temporary. Getting up from sitting and not breaking any restrictions meant scooting forward and lifting up by pushing down on the arms of the chair. That was the main reason for blocking it solid.

You could probably even stuff some heavier, thicker pillows under the sides, meaning like sofa seat cushions? Or, HS, can challenge his balance....if he promises not to fall. :bignono:

The first 2 days my wife had to hold the swivel chair steady as I wanted to make sure I didn’t fall but now I got it down pat! I think and hope! Thanks for all the encouragement and well wishes! I can not say enough how thankful i am for this group!

Day 6 post op! Stilling feeling a little better than the day before! Got up this morning decided to cut out the pain meds (oxycodone) and see how I feel! I did my exercises which were a little more difficult this time(new exercises given from day 2 of PT)! Did a couple laps around my house and now I threw the ice machine on and rest time!

Good Morning HS :wave:
I cut out the pain meds pretty early also, but I did fall back on Extra Strength Tylenol for the first two weeks. If you do okay without the Oxy, but feel minor pain and stiffness, you may want to try the Extra Strength Tylenol in an effort to stay comfortably mobile. We often suggest as schedule of 1000 mg, 4x daily, so every six hours, not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. Any other meds you're taking that contain Acetaminophen must be calculated into that amount of 4000 mg. If interested, check with your surgeons care team for a nod of approval.

You seem to be doing really well. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Humbleservant

@Humbleservant My son built this riser box for my recliner and anchored the chair to the box. 6 1/2" tall and works incredibly well. Just the right height and makes sitting and standing from it a breeze.

Attachments

• 20210306_101104.jpg
    20210306_101104.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 221

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties