THR Left THR

My wife would come home from work to find I had the heater cranked because I was already cold and was sitting on ice to boot! All part of the process.

@Humbleservant The woozy feelings also are quite normal and should go away fairly quickly -- most likely due to residual anesthesia plus pain medications. Lots of fluids and eat! even if you don't feel hungry. Just be careful - stand up slowly, use what ever walking aid you have (walker, crutches, or cane), and avoid tripping/falling. I hope day 2 is going well for you!

@djklaugh day 2 is much more sore and difficult moving around for me! Ice is my best friend even over pain meds I think, even tho I’m keeping up with meds! Crutching to the bathroom is quite the task!

Last edited:
@djklaugh day 2 is much more sore and difficult moving around for me! Ice is my best friend even over pain meds I think, even tho I’m keeping up with meds! Crutching to the bathroom is quite the task!
I was on a walker for the first week... I feel crutches would have been challenging, especially for balance with all the meds, but know a lot of people use them.

Every time I get up to use the bathroom, my buttox on my THR feels like it’s going to fall off lol

@Humbleservant - I too had my left THR as an outpatient, although my day was a few hours longer than yours because I had to wait for PT and OT to visit before I could be discharged. Every time the nurses came in to check on me, they said PT said it would be another 20 minutes...that happened about 10 times I think!

I'm two weeks ahead of you in the process and I can still vividly recall feeling all the things you're describing. Take heart that you will feel differently with every coming day. Get lots of rest, fluids, icing, blankets, etc., and try to get those kiddos to wait on you! Sending good healing vibes your way.

So had left Thr on Monday so on day 3! Still very sore but maybe a little better! First trip to bathroom in morning is by far the worst! And then it gets easier to get up and move around (just bathroom and back) I noticed if I stand too long I still get woozy! Took a sponge bath and changed clothes and started sweating and getting woozy! Are recliners the typical ‘go to’ for initial sleeping? I have my first in-home PT and heard they’ll Probly help me I should be sleeping in bed!

I was able to sleep in bed immediately after my THR, but I was weeks in the recliner after TKR. Where ever YOU can sleep comfortably (or as close to it as you can get) is the right answer for you.

I too had that groggy feint sickly woozy ( ok enough) but all yes and had to sit for 10 mins before carrying on .I've tried physio with arm crutches this morning and failed ,not steady enough ( ok with frame ,well ) just getting ready for next bout , but absolutely no chance of me going home today and I don't want too.Havnt got the confidence going for check up x Ray soon too, overall massively disappointed with my recovery 48 hrs on thought it would be a breeze. Keep going H youre my hero ,well done kid ,brave lad .

Are recliners the typical ‘go to’ for initial sleeping?

Many do initially sleep in a recliner. I slept in mine for three full weeks. I agree with FCBayern (above) that you should be sleeping in bed only when you feel comfortable and ready to sleep in your bed.

Regarding the lightheadedness, are you eating on a regular basis and staying adequately hydrated? If you don’t have much of an appetite, at least try for some healthy snacks. Wondering if your medication as a possibility? Read the pamphlets enclosed with your meds and make sure you’re not taking on an empty stomach. If it continues, check in with your surgeons care team, about adjusting or changing meds.

Thank you! I’ve been eating regularly just not a ton! My wife has been so good to me so she’s been preparing wonderful meals and my in-laws took the kids for 2 nights...... I def wasn’t as woozy today as I was yesterday because I made it a point to eat a decent meal before taking meds! Yesterday I only had a couple pieces of fruit abs took meds! I have PT in 10 minutes abs definitely NOT looking forward to it lol

Good luck with PT. Don’t do anything that hurts. YOU are the boss. :yes!:

It sounds like you’re receiving lots of great care through a loving wife. Just keep the “liddles” at arms length so daddy doesn’t get a great big OWIE on his leg.

Ice as often as you like. I did it almost all day long in those early days. Always make sure to have fabric between skin and the ice source.

Hi @Humbleservant - I know everyone is different, but I had that woozy feeling to some degree until I went off anything stronger than Tylenol...about day 5 for me. I too wasn't eating much (no appetite) so that probably wasn't helping. Again, your mileage may vary, but for me I think the meds (and their effects) were a big part of that feeling.

About PT, when I got it before I was discharged, they gave me some super helpful tips about using the walker and cane, and they also gave me 3 exercises to do 2-3 times/day from the get-go. I found that doing them that much that soon gave me a new ache in the front of the joint, so I actually stopped doing them and that new ache mostly went away (along with icing...can't say enough about that!) I might resume those exercises- or not - based on how I'm feeling. As others here have strongly and wisely recommended regarding PT, listen to your body...for me that is the strongest and most influential voice in all this.

Best wishes for a restful, relaxing, healing day! :)

I used the ice machine continuously if I was sitting or lying down including sleeping. Mine worked good with 4 frozen water bottles that I could rotate out for spares in the freezer. Low blood pressure and blood loss is very common along with a lot of fatigue. I really paid attention to my diet to build back the blood and the damaged muscles.

Pt went well! It actually gave me some confidence! The only thing I refused to do was get in and out of bed because the thought made me cringe with tweaking my hip to lay down

I iced for hours on end @Humbleservant, as Layla said as long as you protect the skin :ice: :ice: :ice: Appetite can be a struggle in the early days, but make sure your getting some good proteins as part of your diet, they are important for healing. I tried to keep some high protein snacks close by so I could eat a little at a time. Glad PT went well. In my early days of recovery I used a plastic bag to sit on at the edge of bed to make it easier to swing my legs into bed without tweaking my hip. Then just pulled it out from underneath me. It made spinning my hips much easier.

Awesome! Good to hear your first session went well. It is reassuring to get advice or feedback from people you trust and it’s great the PT’s suggestions or advice made you feel more confident.

I will second that trash bag trick, helps you smoothly scooch into place in bed. Another place it works well is in the car early on. Placing it on the seat helps you easily swivel into position facing the windshield. I tried it on the ride home from my surgery site and it worked like a charm. I didn’t get into a car again until my first post op appt, three weeks later and by then didn’t need it.

Protein is a must. It’s vital to tissue repair and wound healing. Following is a list of snacks if you’re not feeling up to a full meal. I can’t stress enough either the importance of hydration. That alone may contribute to any lightheadedness you’re experiencing.

Nuts
Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna
Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices
Beef Sticks
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

@Humbleservant Recliner or bed - which ever works best for you. Because I had both hips done at once I rented a hospital bed for a couple of months and slept with both legs elevated and my cold packs on each hip.

Tip for getting in and out of bed and/or car - lift both legs at the same time. I didn't have much woozy/dizzy feelings once home .... but then I stayed in hospital for 5 days after surgery so that part was handled there .

I’m def having some twangs in the operated hip from PT which I’m assuming is completely normal! Even with that I’ve been able to get up a d crutch to the bathroom and do my exercises and a couple laps around the house!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back