THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Welcome @dougie0216, I have moved your latest post to your very own thread in the hip recovery section so that other members and staff can post directly to you. Let me know if you would like the name of this thread changed - it is easy for us to do. Here are the instructions to tag a staff member..

Just a tip, if you want to "tag" someone in response to their messages to you just type in the @ sign immediately followed by their user name and you'll see a small box in the posting area where the members user name will display. Sometimes there might be a very slight pause, but the member user name will appear.

it will show their correct name which you can click on -- then when you submit your post the member's user name/link will turn blue and send a message to them person, like this: @Poppet

Also here are some links to recovery articles from our extensive library to get you started - don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have - again, welcome.. and good for you finally sleeping on your side :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

But first the BoneSmart mantra

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the very important hip recovery articles.....

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.

Thanks for setting up the thread and the links above. I found the Energy drain for THR's and the Post op blues sections informative.

At work I am the director. Someone was asking me a question this afternoon between 3:30 and 4pm, and I had to confide in the individual that my brain had effectively shut-down. Due to the holiday on Monday, everyone had to cram five-days of work into four, and by 3:30pm today I was just exhausted.
It is the ninth week after surgery and the end of the third full week after returning to work. I am mortal. However, I am now able to recover somewhat after a little down-time, something I was not able to do even last week.

I have something to share about the post-op blues. No time to be blue in the hospital. After coming home, I was constantly supervised by my spouse for the first nine days. After that, my walker and cane restrictions were removed and I could get around by myself just fine. My spouse returned to work. Hey, I can feed myself, go to the restroom without aid, I am fine!
Anyway, then came the afternoon, where it was just me, the cats and the Netfilx subscription.
The movie preview led me to believe it was an action movie based on WWI. It turned out to be a romantic tragedy with social commentary. It was not very long before the tears were streaming down my cheeks and I am cussing at no one in particular, just what was going on here? The tears happened spontaneously a couple of more times over nothing.
I figured it must be some form of depression, so I started calling people, just to talk. After I returned to work, the symptoms disappeared.
So, I don't care if you have an "S" on your chest, if you have major surgery, at some point you are probably going to get emotional. I wasn't the first, and I am fairly certain I won't be the last guy to bust into tears over a movie. I told my wife about it, she gave me a hug and then just laughed. I laughed too.
Peace,
Doug

Hi there Doug, @dougie0216 - actually the post op blues are a medically known condition post surgery. Feeling sad and tearful is very normal and not gender specific :)

Knowledge is empowering, staying close to your friends and family (and BoneSmart of course :)) can improve your mood. Also, according to studies, being social can have a positive impact on recovery, fear, worry, and confusion can all be lessened when one is aware of it. The positive is that it doesn't usually last long, although you may find it come like waves, but gets less and less as you return to your normal activities.

btw, energy drain hit me hard for a long time, but it is easier to understand when you read how long it takes for the body to heal and recover :)

@hipreplacement tweeted a link earlier today about the three approaches to THR. I you look through the information closely, you can find a video link to a YouTube video of an Anterior THR. I hung right in there, until they routed out the pelvis. I may have to watch the rest of the video later. :sick:

@dougie0216 Hats off to you getting back to fulltime work! If you are the Director can you give yourself the afternoon off ? :)

Why yes, I can give myself the afternoon off. But why stop there? Seriously, I am one of those who does not like being away from work for two long. I am afraid I have turned into my father....:snow dig:
We have a "Snow day" today, so our institution is closed. Even if it were open, if there were any slick spots in the parking lot, I have been forbidden to set foot on the property by my supervisor.
Days off are great, but I have a checkup at the hospital on Wednesday and it is out of town, so I will miss two entire days this week. I don't care about the time, I have been there a long time and I have some serious leave-time accrued, but the work will just be piling up while I am gone. That means I probably have to work another Saturday, just like last week... Actually, I get more work done on Saturday morning than I do in an entire week day. No phones, no people:yes!:
Have a great day!

Dougie, I had anterior too and have no wish to watch any videos about that :-/
Your Supervisor is wise. If you do more work without people and phones are you able to work at home?
All the best

miaow, I take it you are a cat person? We have four kitties. I can do some work from home, but due to terrible Internet upload speeds, it isn't something that could be done long term. Blazing fast download speed, agonizing slow uploads, sigh. I was able to go back to work at 6-1/2 weeks. I was going crazy in the house. We actually had winter this year and there was snow on the ground and ice on the sidewalks and roads for the last half of December and a good part of January.
The first couple of weeks back were tough. I would run out of physical and mental energy after 5 or 6 hours. Still it was better than being home. I am now 13-1/2 weeks post surgery, and can work my customary 45-50 hour weeks with no problem. I am a social creature, I just need to be around people.

Great news from the surgeon today! He does not need to see me for nine-months. Normally, he sees his patients every two months for the first year. I managed to meet or exceed all of the goals at 14-weeks, the x-ray looks good, and he said there was no reason to see me until my next yearly exam which is in December:spin:

So, if your just underwent THR, do what they tell you to do, don't do what they told you not to do. Take your prescribed meds as directed as well as your vitamins and supplements and do your PT. Also, make sure you eat. Recovering from THR is no time to diet.

I can now ride my bike, use my Pilates ball and do anything except lift or carry heavy objects. My new personal goal is a 25-mile bike race this summer. I plan to ride longer that 25-miles before then, but it is a big bike race with multiple distances, and it is in August. August, as in sweltering hot. No need to overdo it.

As soon as my work schedule normalizes itself in May, I plan to join WW and drop most if not all of the weight I have put on in the past 13-months. I was around 205# / or 93k in the pic above in Jan 2013. Lets just say I am now in the 100+ kilo class and leave it at that.

Peace out.:bicycle1:

It stuck me this morning as I was getting ready for work, that I could actually tie my left shoe with no discomfort or contortions. Sweet! I have not been able to do that since 2009! I had not really thought about it since surgery, but I have probably been able to do it for several weeks, and just now gave it any thought. I am airing up the bicycle tires tonight. The weather tomorrow is abysmal, but I will be riding on Sunday!

Hi Dougie, that is good news. I have one cat he is sitting on me now. Enjoy your ride on Sunday. Weather here is better now- more sun and getting warmer
Gill

Great recovery Dougie ... especially through this tough winter. Good luck with the pounds and biking!

On Monday, it is supposed to be 79F / 24C, and it will be Daylight Savings time. I will be out of excuses not to get out and walk or ride.

Enjoy! @dougie0216 - we are now officially into Autumn, so there is a slight chill in the air at night - thank goodness. It has been a long hot summer here in OZ..

Super-psyched this afternoon. I aired up the bicycle tires and hit the streets. Rode 4-miles and there were no issues. I have to drive a 180-mile round-trip on business tomorrow so I did not want to overdo it. Did not hook up the HRM or GPS, just the iTunes and a timer.
What is exceptionally noteworthy, is that I was able to swing a leg up and over the bike without any pain. Pain is why I quit running last Feb. and parked my bicycle last July.
14-weeks post THR surgery, and I can mount and ride a bicycle pain-free!
I am back, hehehe.

Yesterday was wonderful, no pain, anywhere. Here I am, 21-weeks post-surgery, and I actually had a day when the only time I thought about my hip was when I took my anti-inflammatory. Of course, today a cold-front came through so my knee and hip have been talking to me, oh well.
My spouse and I actually went to a play last night, and that is the first time in over a year I had enough courage to go brave sitting in an auditorium seat. No pain, no issues, except as always the first couple of steps after I get up. That is also getting better. Sometimes, I can actually stand and walk after sitting with no weirdness:yahoo:

Fantastic news @dougie0216 it seems that you continue to go from strength to strength

bravo cat.jpg
@dougie0216, these man made hips are soooooo wonderful! Its so good to hear that you life is getting back to real "normal" and that your new hip is becoming "forgotten" most of the time.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TATTVASPA800000
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom