Lounge Doctor

THR Left Then Right's Hip Recovery Story

Left then right

Country
United States United States
I have been lurking on this forum since shortly after my lthr 03/10/2020, week before CA shutdown. Reading others’ stories and advice helped Me get through it. Had pain, swelling, no sleep etc...started with my OS telling us it was the worst arthritis he had seen and had to use “other methods” to dislocate my hip. I always imagine a crowbar because that’s how it felt after initial meds wore off. Anyways, I digress.

Even with all the stuff that prevented my having a good sleep, at some point, the primary issue was painful heels. My wife would put rolled towels under my ankles, which just swapped one pain for another. I trashed the TED stockings early because they contributed to heel pain. I don’t normally sleep on my back for long because I snore so my wife would roll me to my side. I couldn’t even think about sleeping on my side so it’s amazing you can even for a short time. Also got some little cushions from Amazon made to reduce the pain. They were good for about 15 minutes. No relief until I felt good enough to sleep on my sides.

So, 02/23/2021, I have my right thr. The arthritis was bad but nothing like my left. Hardly any swelling...I could actually see between my thighs while sitting on the commode. My heels were painful again so I was constantly moving and snoring again. My wife still works and she needs rest. Besides, I can only sleep for 2 hours at a time and if I wake then I have to pee...one begets the other. I decided to sleep in our office/bedroom on a cheap little futon that my 19 yo granddaughter put there. It was so short that my heels hang over the end...no more heel pain! I still get up every 2-3 hours but I don’t bother anyone.

@Teresa17
“ Sometimes I wake up about 3 but usually fall asleep unless my heels are sore from sleeping on my back....”
now you know why I never post...too long. Anyhoo, try scooting down the bed or get a cheap futon so your heels hang in the breeze, Then you can concentrate on all the other discomforts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pumpkin

Country
@Left then right ,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
Glad to hear you have solved the problem of sore heels this time around, and that you have found Bonesmart helpful through both recoveries.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Pumpkin

Country
@Left then right
You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

OP
OP
L

Left then right

Country
i Must have screwed up. I was just trying to tell teresa17 what I did to relieve the heel pain thing.

sorry. You can remove my thread. I am actually doing really well this time largely due to reading stories and advice on BS

thanks

Pumpkin

Country
@Left then right,
No worries you did nothing wrong, I tagged teresa17 for you so she would see your response in answer to her sore heels, and have placed a copy of your post in her thread to be sure she sees your answer.

Last edited:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hi Left then right :hi:
Happy Two Month Anniversary! I hope you’re doing well. We’d love to read an update and cheer you on as you continue to make progress. Hope to hear from you soon!
@Left then right

OP
OP
L

Left then right

Country
Well, I never really meant to post a recovery thread, it's just the comment about heel pain reminded me of how awful it was for me the first time around.

My left required me to only apply 50% weight for a month maybe due to the extra beating it took to dislocate the hip. This one has been a much easier and quicker recovery. I'm not peddling bikes or riding horses, but I can now walk upright (first time in over 10 years) with just aches rather than constant grinding and occasional breathtaking twinges of pain.

I used a walker for the first week then crutch/es the second and finally a cane by the time of my 3 week follow up with OP at which time I was okay to drive. Told OP that I had practiced pumping brakes already. I have a full size van (my dog taxi), which is actually much easier to step up into than lowering myself into a car seat. I was able to resume my grocery shopping duties.

As for meds, I took the Oxy for a couple of days then max Tylenol for two weeks. Now I just use warmed Sake...probably too much, but that's for a different forum. My thr was sandwiched between my Covid vaccines so that's good too.

Physical therapy, not so much. I have no discipline whatsoever. Very glad to read that bodies tend to heal themselves. Although, I feel better than I have forever and now considering going to the pool this summer to get myself into good enough shape to surf a longboard then ultimately back to a short. onsidering my original goal was to walk and learn how to bend over properly to pick up after dogs.

Sleeping is/was a problem both times. I rented a lift recliner to sleep in for awhile during both thr's. I was able to sleep on my non-op side starting a week ago so back in our bed with one of those cheap body pillows between my legs. I occasionally roll onto my back and snore but my dear wife is kind enough to roll me back. BTW, did you know they actually make lip-shaped tape to close your mouth and prevent snoring? I gave it a try but was ineffective probably due to hair stubble. I also tried with packing tape which only lasted for a few hours before loosening therefore my exile to another room. Anyway, good to be back in bed.

This morning I took our three dogs out for a short walk alone. Golden retriever, golden/chow mix and a giant golden doodle...combined weight about 250 pounds. Good news is that the goldens are both really old and slow like me. Done without a cane but did have my telescoping scooper from the first thr. And, it also doubles as an aid if I have to get up after kneeling.

Overall, I'm just happy to be where I'm at now and hope the same for everyone else.

Thanks for asking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zmak

Country
Australia Australia
Your snoring could be due to sleep apnea. Sounds like your doing well on your journey

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello @Left then right :wave: Thank you for the great update!
Well...another month has blown by. Happy Three Month Anniversary to you!
I hope all is well, you’re enjoying steady progress and getting closer to spending some time in the pool as you mentioned.
Wishing you a great Summer! :swim:

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dunfudgin
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom