TKR Left knee TKR on Oct 14, 21, Albuquerque, NM

CapnRic

Country
United States United States
Finally, 2 days from now I get my new knee, just cleared pre-op tests. Oh, I am sooooo ready. Pain is taking over my life. BlueCrossBlueShield of NM refused to do a CAT Scan so Dr could use the MAKO so it looks like a manual operation for me. My doc says he has only used the MAKO for 4 months and has been doing knees for 37 years so maybe this is good? Getting a Stryker knee, not sure if that is good or bad. Anybody have experience with a Stryker TKR? Is there a difference?

Unfortunately the Dr didn't start preauthorization early enough for me to challenge the decision on the CT. Formal channels and all... nobody can make a decision anymore, they all go by the book and have no capacity to think for themselves. So the moral of this story is make sure they start preauthorization for surgery at least a month before your surgery. Insist on it, then you can challenge the decisions if needed.

Two previous torn meniscus, years apart. Lots of cross-country cycling and mountain backpack trips took its toll. My BMI is now 44 but he is still going to do it, hope it works out. I'm at my wits end with this knee. Saw a Dr two years ago said I was bone/bone but not ready. He said "you'll know when you are ready". Yeah, he's right about that one...

So glad I found this, you all have answered many questions I had... from actual experience, which counts double. Thank you for this forum !!!

Wishing you all the best. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Mine is scheduled for the 21st. I've heard that some surgeries are being canceled due to staff shortages, so hopeful but not sure.Now I have to go check my preauthorization. United Healthcare sent email telling it was available last week but they lied.

@CapnRic,
:welome: to BoneSmart!
Anybody have experience with a Stryker TKR? Is there a difference?
Many of our members have a Stryker TKR and have been very happy. There is little difference between different TKR's.
The most important decision you will make is the choice of a surgeon, they use the prosthesis they know best. Sounds like you have chosen an experienced surgeon that you are comfortable with performing your TKR.

Glad you have found the forum helpful.
All the best on Friday! Looking forward to seeing you on the other side!

Here is a copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, to help you prepare for you TKR on Friday, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Last edited:
Best of luck on your surgery! The surgeon that did my knee was trained to use the robot. But, he only had privileges at the hospital that had the robot 1 day a month. Other than that he operates at a different hospital several days a week. I decided that the skill, experience and reputation of the surgeon was more important that some fancy piece of technology. I opted to not have the robot.
Good Luck!

Experience is important so it sounds like you are in good hands.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts