TKR Left knee replacement

:welome: to BoneSmart. If you have any questions, fire away.

Last edited:
Thank you! Scared to death! But I will get over it!

I am six foot tall and scared of NOTHIN' AT ALL.

Well the first bit's true. I was so terrified I could barely make it to the surgery. But it didn't matter, it still worked and will for you too.

EXACTLY!

Pre-op pain is bad, crippling, horrible, demoralising, and only gets worse. Post-op pain can be as bad, sometimes in the first days.

But the key fact is that the pain gets BETTER.

One's condition post-op is sometimes worse than pre-op for a few days or up to a MONTH later. One has to learn to roll with the punches, to relax, take medication, let the body do its thing and heal. It will do this all on its own. PT can be helpful with this process, but the key element is time.

But it will happen. Millions of TKRs are done every year; this wouldn't be so if it didn't work.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to bonesmart. I think scared describes pretty much everyone before surgery. I know I was very scared but the pain kept me focused on what I wanted for me. I kept concentrating on what I would be able to do once that knee recovered. It did recover and life improved so much. It is doable with great rewards.

I am going to leave you some readings which can be very useful.

KNEE
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

@Flamingo girl I love flamingos, I paint them, even have a flamingos mask. My surgery is on my second knee is the 20th, it's my second one and the first recovery was a long tough one but here I am doing it again. Let us know if you need help, this is a a great site and the moderators are kind, knowledgeable and so helpful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back