BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Left knee lateral PTR 8-23

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Netra709, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Netra709

Netra709 new member

United States United States
    Hi I have had the ACL reconstructed in this knee with a patellar graft in 2000.

Unfortunately I also had a lot of the meniscus taken out on the lateral side. We have been chasing an internal bleeding problem with this knee since October of last year. It bleeds fast, and swells to the point I can't fire my quad. Think its bled 13 times. We have drained it probably 9 times.

I had it cleaned up arthoscopically surgery in January. In May we removed the screw that was out of place from my ACL reconstruction and it still bleeds at times. Next up is replacing the lateral side of my knee because it is in such poor condition.

I'm told to expect to be out of work for 8 weeks. I'm curious if that is realistic, or if I can make it back sooner. I'm 46, and have a some what physical job. I came back from my ACL reconstruction very quickly but I was 20 yrs younger.

Tim

2. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

UNrealistic being off from work only 8 weeks and even more so with a physical job.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2018
  3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Netra709 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full dates of all your other knee surgeries, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

In view of all the problems you have had with this knee, I think it is over-optimistic to be thinking of going back to work by 8 weeks, especially to a physically demanding job.
    We usually advise taking about 12 weeks off work and then doing a Phased return to work if possible.

Quite honestly, with the history of what your knee has been through, I think you should be looking at getting a total knee replacement (TKR), not a partial (PKR).
    It seems that you have already had a series of "holding" operations, none of which has been entirely successful.
    Add to that the bleeding problems and your knee has already been traumatized several times.

PKRs do not have a good track record for lasting well. Some even need to be replaced within a year.

Now, maybe your surgeon has advise having a partial because only one knee compartment is affected and you are only in your forties. Unfortunately, once you have damage in one knee compartment, it often spreads to the other knee compartments, making a revision to a TKR necessary.

As for your age, TKRs nowadays can last for 30+ years, so the chances of needing a revision are not huge. We have had people here who have had knee replacements in their forties and even in their twenties and thirties. There is no longer any need to wait until you are "old enough" to have a knee replacement.

Concerning the bleeding problem in your knee, it sounds as if, during one of the surgeries, one of the smaller blood vessels was not sealed off properly. Your surgeon will need to deal with that during the next surgery.

If it were me, I would ask to have a a TKR , instead of a PKR, which could end up being just one more temporary fix for your knee.

Don't believe the publicity about a PKR being a faster recovery. While that may be so for a few people, most people with a PKR find that recovery takes just as long as from a TKR.

I'm going to ask @Josephine , our Nurse Director, to advise you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Here is some pre-op reading to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I agree with Celle. Having had so many interventions and issues, I wouldn't hold out much hope that the disease in your joint remained on the lateral aspect of it.

I'd also be very, very leery with any encouragement about returning to work as early as 8 weeks. You'll most definitely need longer than that.

6. Netra709

Netra709 new member

Thanks for the feedback. Celle, I think you are right about my age playing a part in why my surgeon wants to do a partial. I had no idea the recovery was pretty much the same between a partial and complete replacement.

The dates of my previous surgeries
    May 1997 right knee acl recon
    March 2000 left knee scoped
    June 2000 left knee acl recon
    January 2018 left knee scoped
    May 2018 left knee scoped to remove loose screw

7. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Netra, can you give us the actual date for the last two surgeries? You've only given us the month and the year.

8. Niftyknee

Niftyknee junior member

Australia Australia
    So sorry you’ve had knee problems ongoing. Have to say that I would also be looking at a TKR given the ongoing problems you’ve been having. Good luck.

9. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Netra, I have a bit of a caution for you. Your knee has been through quite a lot and from your description is not doing well at the moment. You need to be sure your current surgeon is very experienced in problem TKRs, that he does at least 150 knee replacements a year and that his success rate is high. You want the knee replacement to be done right the first time. I, too, think it may be best for you to consider a full TKR rather than risk more trauma to your knee.

I suggest that you get at least two other opinions by orthopedic surgeons not at all associated with your current surgeon. This means they don't use the same hospital, likely aren't in the same town and aren't golfing buddies. You want totally independent eyes on your knee to get the best opinions.

It would be best if you could find 2 surgeons who also do revision surgery or specialize in reconstructive surgery. I can help you locate some possibilities if you give me your zip code and the names of the surgeons you've seen. Please tag me if you want me to help you with this.

10. Netra709

Netra709 new member

I never did update this with my surgery. I did get the partial knee replacement done on 8-23-18. I am very pleased with how it went. I was off crutches within 4 days, and went back to work at 4 weeks. Having this surgery done is the best thing I have done for this knee in awhile. I was surprised that as far as recovery and pain went, it was at a lower level than my acl recons had been. Tim

11. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm very glad to read that everything has gone well for you, @Netra709.
    Thank you for updating us.