BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

LeeAnn630's Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Leeann630, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Leeann630

Leeann630 junior member

United States United States
    Hi everyone,

First I would like to apologize for the length of this message. I don't have the communication skills I had before a head injury last year. I joined BoneSmart to provide a surgeon recommendation to @Flwrgirl and I hope my experience will be helpful.

I have an appointment with Dr. Kristopher Case Sanders on Friday. I saw him a few years ago and was referred to another surgeon because I was not a candidate for hip replacement. He was kind, knowledgeable and more thorough than the other hip orthopedic surgeons I had seen.

For a little background. I am hypermobile, which contributed to my hip injury in February 2016. I was bounced from doctor to doctor before anyone figured out what was going on. Dr. Sanders thought it might be the labrum based on symptoms, but it did not show up on imaging. All of the previous doctors just said they did not see a problem. The surgeon Dr. Sanders referred me to knew it was the labrum and scheduled a hip scope for June 2017. At this point I had tried hip injections and PT. He removed some bone , put 3 anchors in the labrum, cleaned up a gluteus medius tear, removed inflamed bursas, lengthened the IT band and PSOAS. In addition, he did microfracture (I believe is what it was called) to encourage cartilage to regrow. He said the reason it did not show on the MRI was because it wasn't torn in a traditional way, but instead sheared off the bone.

It was better for a few weeks, but then I started having more problems. My rheumatologist felt it may have been from the surgery triggering an autoimmune/inflammatory arthritis flare. She treated accordingly, which helped some. In May of 2018 I was in a bad auto accident which led to many injuries, including occiptal neuralgia, a head injury and of course I further injured my hip. I again tried injections and PT, followed by another surgery in September 2018. They removed 1 anchor and added five more for a total of 7 in the labrum. He also cleaned up damage and attempted to do microfracture. There were some issues with the bone collapsing a little when touched. I was doing better with steroids to help with the autoimmune trigger from surgery. I had hand and elbow surgery in May 2019, which doesn't want to heal. I continued to slowly improve with my hip and had even gotten to the point I could use it to step on a curb or step (without repetition), which I had not been able to do since February 2016. Several weeks ago my hip started going down hill a little. A few weeks ago on a Friday, I started having significantly more pain. I followed up with my hip surgeon last week who took an xray. It showed the joint space was completely gone. He looked at images from the surgery in September of 2018 which showed normal space. He said my only option at this point to fix it was a total hip replacement. He spoke very highly of Dr. Case Sanders and sent the referral. I started reading reviews and finding everything I could about Dr. Sanders (other than what I remembered from one visit). On Saturday I dislocated, subluxed or locked my hip. It is something that has happened a few times and is so painful I cannot talk, move or straighten my leg.

Since then, my hip is much worse I have tremendous pain walking from room to room. I hope they can schedule the hip replacement very soon.

The question posted made me think of a video I watched during my research. It was on the Facebook page for Dr. Kristopher Case Sanders discussing hip replacements. I remember there is a part of the video where they answered a question on obesity. They mentioned it may require a different approach than the anterior. This led me to believe they may use a different approach, but may still do the surgery.

I'm not sure that I know enough to refer someone. It was a bit of an impulse due to believing I may know of a doctor who could help or might be worth checking on. During the past 3 years, at times, the worst part was feeling as though I had run out of options. I just wanted to put the info out ther in case it worked out for someone who needed it.

NOTE: There is another Dr. Sanders in the same city who is an orthopedic surgeon.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Welcome to BoneSmart, @Leeann630. I'm glad you found us and decided to join. You're part of our family now and there will always be people here to help you get through whatever challenges lie ahead. It sounds like you may have found a great surgeon. We always want to know about these folks so we depend on our members to share this type of information. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your appointment on Friday.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:
    I, too, hope you get some encouraging news at your appointment.
    :fingersx:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Be sure to update us after your appointment. We are all here to listen and support you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Leeann630

Leeann630 junior member

Thanks everyone for the kind words and support.:)

I am back from my appointment. Someone is going to call me with a surgery date that will likely be in mid August, they said they may be able to get me in the first week.

I also found out in addition to the collapsed space, the hip is staying subluxed and he confirmed it has been dislocating, which explains the amount of pain I have been having. I'm glad I have some answers now.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There are always surgeon who will bypass the obesity but they do take some finding!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

It’s such good news to hear your surgeon has a plan to help you and that you can move forward relatively quickly! Wishing you all the best as you prepare. This website has been an invaluable resource for me, and I hope you will find the combination of education, tips and tools, and peer support to be as consoling and reassuring as I have. I am scheduled for August 5, so hopefully we’ll recuperate together!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi:So glad they are going to fix that hip and thank you for sharing the information about your surgeon.
    Roll on August.:happydance:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Happy for you to have found a surgeon who is offering a solution.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Leeann630 my first hip was in the same condition as you are experiencing. Sincere condolences that you have to endure what I know is horrid pain. Hope you get your surgery date soon!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Leeann630

Leeann630 junior member

@Jaycey thank you! I'm sorry you had to go through that. Did you get relief from the replacement?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Jaycey

Yes! 100% relief. That first step was amazing. No more grinding pain.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Leeann630

Leeann630 junior member

@Jaycey

I am so glad it worked for you:yes!:!
    It gives me hope as well! I have been awake all night stressing over it. I couldn't sleep because of pain anyway, but the only thing on my mind has been my hip and the upcoming surgery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Jaycey

Pre-op is actually the worst part of this journey. Unfortunately there are no pain killers that address this pain. All you can do is limit your activity and wait. But it op is definitely worth it. Life changing. Hope your appointment Friday goes well. Please keep us updated.

BTW - are you using a crutch or cane. The first thing my OS did when he saw my x-ray was send me to physio to get elbow crutches. They did help to take the weight off my sore hip.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Leeann630

Leeann630 junior member

@Jaycey
    I am not using anything. I tried the crutches from my previous hip surgeries, but I was not able to use them. I had hand and elbow surgery in May and I am still waiting on my elbow to heal. I am really hoping I will be able to use the walker after hip replacement. Lately I have spent most of my time reclined. When I do walk I have a very bad limp and hold on to what I can.

16. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello @Leeann630 I'm sorry that you are having such a rough time of things. Your hip sounds excruciating.
    I hope they get back to you asap with a surgery date in August. Hopefully even sooner.
    Theres a lot of good reading on this forum, hopefully that will help you pass the time and give you some reassurances, when needed.
    :prayer:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  17. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

It does sound like you are in a tough spot @Leeann630 . I will be watching to see the news about a date from your surgeon. Under the circumstances, it sounds like it won’t be a moment too soon.

I confess that I have skipped ahead to the Recovery posts, where our wise and gracious mods put more than a dozen brilliant articles about Recovery in everyone’s thread (close to the beginning). I have read them many times, in part because I find them so very reassuring. I have also had the opportunity to share the BoneSmart “way” with my PT and PCP, and very soon, I will with my OS. Both PT and PCP validated what I have been learning here, and those conversations have boosted my confidence. I anticipate the OS conversation will go equally well.

When my daily life came to a screeching halt because my hip couldn’t carry me any further, it came as a very unwelcome shock. I understand being preoccupied- even obsessive- about finding a way to get healthy again. We’re both getting our chance this August. That’s a great thing. Wishing you all the best!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Leeann630

Leeann630 junior member

@Ptarmigan
    I am glad you have a date coming up around the corner so you can get some relief and get back to living your life :yes!:.

Thank you for letting me know about the articles in the recovery post, I will check them out tonight!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Jaycey

Any chance of getting a walker before your op? I remember that limping around holding on to anything in sight. So horrid!

Here are the recovery articles if you want a read in advance:
    Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
    6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Leeann630

Leeann630 junior member

@Jaycey

Thank you for the articles! I wish I had a lot of the information on this site before my previous surgeries. Even though they were not replacements, a lot of the tips and information would have helped a lot. I am glad I have it now for what I feel is a scarier surgery. This is definitely the best resource available and the support is amazing.

I have been researching walkers online. I believe I may do better with a rollator, but I probably need to check with the OS first. My mother has a rollator she is not using right now, but the lowest setting is about 6-8 inches too high (I am very short). I cannot tell what it would be like to use one proper height. I used crutches with my prior hip surgeries and am very comfortable using them (prior to my elbow injury/surgery). I don't know that it would be worse than anything else on my elbow, but my OS said no, because I fall a lot. I tried a walker (that was also too high) for part of a day after the first hip surgery and ran into every wall and door frame I got close to.

I have been trying to get the swelling under control in my elbow which is making me nervous.

I am basically obsessing over everything day and night, but I know the surgery is a must.

• Friendly Friendly x 1