Learned so much from this forum

Annelie

Country
United States United States
This is my first post. I'm so glad to have found this forum.

My LTKR was over 11 months ago. My new knee is working well but I still get a few twinges occasionally. I guess this is normal. My scar is still red in places and very visible.
I now know that I have made the mistake of working way too hard because I was so concerned about internal scar tissue. No pain- no gain was my thought and it was quite painful at times.
This October I'm going to have my right knee replaced and I will take the advice of this forum.
It makes so much more sense. Most of all, thank you everybody for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart!

Bonesmart’s recovery approach does make so much more sense, I don’t understand why the medical professionals don’t see that.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I'm so glad you found us before your second surgery. I joined 6 months before my surgery and really benefited from it.

Hello @Annelie - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Thank you for everybody who has replied. I'm sorry that I haven't replied sooner. Was gone for a while and then promptly got sick for 2 weeks but all is well now. My next TKR is scheduled now for Sept. 18. I have been very happy with my surgeon and am looking forward to get the RTKR behind me. This time I'm going to be smarter with the rehab. Have learned a lot from this forum. Thank you!! My surgeon told me that the 2. replacement might be more painful. Is this your experience? In any case, I'm looking forward the get it done. Most of all, thank you for this forum!!

They say all TKR’s are different, mine were. R was pretty classic, L was a horror show, ankle and calf pain for weeks. Made it through both. This site was a major help

My next TKR is scheduled now for Sept. 18.
Thank you for the expected date of your right TKR. I'll put that into your signature.

But please will you tell us the date you had your left TKR done, so I can add that as well?

By the way, since your surgery isn't for 3 months yet, I'm going to move your thread to the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area.

Thank you for writing, winemama. I guess, there is some truth in the second TKR being more painful. Hope that you're doing much better by now.
cellle, my left TKR was on June 6.2018.
I'm going to look for post now in the pre-op section. Thank you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back