THR Layla's Recovery

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
I'm thankful for the kind, sweet encouragement I received the evening before my surgery. I went into this a little anxious as many do. All went well. It felt like an assembly line of sorts from the time I put the hospital gown on in prep of surgery, until recovery. All was so methodical, by design I'm assuming, not allowing much time for contemplation. I had to laugh hours later as it felt like I was whisked away somewhere by a little group of elves who quickly dismantled and put me back together. Seeing my scar for the first time without visually witnessing how it came to be was a tad emotional for me.

My recovery has been decent thus far. My husband a saint. I think we both underestimated the role he'd play in my recovery. In lieu of Coumadin my surgeon recommended aspirin 2 x daily along with the use of compression stockings 20 hrs out of every 24. Also inflatable cuffs to be strapped around calves whenever I'm sitting, lying, sleeping....which has been the majority of each day since it's only Day Three. This is the only part that has me feeling a bit trapped and quite dependent. But on the plus side, as I become more active I'll sit, lie and sleep less and these can just collect a little dust in the corner until I get the surgeons okay to return them. Just thankful for Bone Smart and the kindness of those who share, encourage, pray and show love so freely to people they've never met. It's a blessing! I hope you all enjoy the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear all went ok positive thoughts to you & your family

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Layla sounds like you are off to a great start. Thanks for the update. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Welcome Layla. I understand the assembly-line metaphor. I thought the exact same thing.
Tomorrow is one month, and I will be down to one aspirin per day from the two I was told to take the first month.
Welcome to the other side.
My wife was a big help. Of course, she was paying me back, because I was there for her during her shoulder replacement on April 5.
Recovering from hip replacement is easier IMHO.
Once again, Welcome to the club.

Hi Layla. Let me give you some reading material to help with the recovery period.

Sharon

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Glad to hear all went smoothly, Layla. Hope you continue to enjoy a good recovery.
Take care
Diane

It is so good to see you on the other side as they say. Each day will get a tiny bit better and soon you will be back to your old self. It is all pretty amazing when you really think about it. You are blessed to have your husband right there to help you as you continue your recovery. I wish you all the best.

@Layla sounds like you are doing great!! Best wishes for a continued good recovery!! :)

So glad to see you on this side, and to hear all went well. Your elf image made me smile. I understand your reaction to the scar. I was the same way seeing my x-ray the morning after surgery. Continue to heal well, and keep us updated on your progress!
All the best,
Michele

@Cisne
I've yet to see an X-ray of my prosthetic..... I'm sure it would initially make me sad. Ideally I'd prefer the parts I was born with. However, my hip wore out and I'm thankful for the option of replacement surgery. The thought of living life in a wheel chair for those who years ago didn't have this option is sad. I guess we're blessed to be living in this era. Thanks for your encouragement. Wishing you a relaxing holiday!

@Delphi
Hello, wanted to take a minute to thank you for your encouraging words. I've had some difficulty trying to figure out how to respond to people. A combo of not being able to recall what I read 5 minutes prior, anesthesia, I'm guessing and computer illiteracy....haha! In the coming days I want to familiarize myself with others recovery journeys. It can be helpful. Enjoy the holiday!

Layla-I agree that we are blessed to have this option. I should have done a better job explaining my reaction to the x-ray. There is an emotional reaction to seeing a joint that can't be painful and already functions as well or better than my native one. Wishing you all the best!
Michele

Hi @Layla !! Congratulations on your new hip! Hope you are home from the hospital now and finding your pain becoming less and less. I got home Friday. Constipation was a problem for me before coming home. I'm taking the aspirin twice a day, just like you. For me, taking the pain meds on schedule has been key so far. If I am late taking my Norco, the pain rears its ugly head and I regret it. It is nice that we are finally on the other side of this!

Enjoyed reading your thread @Layla. Wishing you all good things during recovery. My hubby had been terrific too... What a blessing to have friends here on BS and people who care about us at home too. Take [emoji173] care!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I found reading others thread here on BoneSmart to be extremely helpful, both before and after my surgery. By reading what others have gone through pointed out to me the things that might happen so I felt better prepared if I felt the same pain or ache or even constipation. Also, the fantastic support and encouragement was amazing! I'm sure you will find the same thing as you continue along your road to recovery.

Layla, it is so interesting to see how other surgeons in other parts of the US have you go through recovery. I'm wondering what the "cuffs" were on your legs. Also some have mentioned wearing compression stockings all day. Neither of these were prescribed to me, so I am wondering what they are used for. I understand it would be to increase blood flow. How long are you required to use/wear them?

@GrannyC
Thanks for your encouraging words. I'm having a Pity Party for One this a.m. My recovery is going well, it's the feeling of lost independence I'm struggling with today. Weepy.
This too shall pass.

@SoCalMom
Hi, you're so right! I find different treatment protocol interesting myself.

The "cuffs" are used to help prevent blood clots in addition to the compression stockings which are on 24 hrs then off for four hours, anytime I'm lying, sleeping, sitting. I'm taking aspirin 2x daily as opposed to a Coumadin type drug. I was instructed to do this until my 1st doctor appt which isn't until July 18th.

I hope your recovery is going well and that you have a pain free relaxing holiday!

@313Lola
Hi Lola, it was nice to read your post this a.m. I feel a connection sharing the same surgery date.
I hope your recovery is going well and that you have a wonderful holiday with loved ones.......until next time my BS buddy!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom