Lateral partial knee replacement in March

catkin69

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello,
After months of lurking I thought it was time to introduce myself.
I'm Catherine, soon to turn 50 and I will be having a lateral partial knee replacement on March 7th.
I have had years of misery with this knee and am now looking forward to regaining my life!
I have had 2 previous arthroscopies and have no lateral meniscus left and stage 4 traumatic oa.
I am weirdly excited at the prospect.
I look forward to chatting with you,
Catherine

:welome: @catkin69! We’re happy you found us and will do our best to help and support you in your upcoming surgery.

One useful thing to do is to read the partial knee replacement recovery threads (PKR tag) in the Recovery Area of the forum. They will give you good information about PKR recovery. Recovery from partial replacements is the same as that from total replacements: same post-op, same length of time for the knee to recover. These surgeries DO give you back your life!

Here's some pre-op reading for you. If you have questions or concerns, ask away!

If you have concern about pain with this surgery, Plan For Pain, can be helpful for having this discussion with your medical team.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help.

Hey and welcome to BoneSmart!

Hi. We have the same surgery day. I'm have a TKR on my left knee. 4 years ago had a meniscus repair on it has been down hill every since. Thoughts and positive vibes to you hopefully we both will feel much better after the surgeries

Thank you for the welcome. @julie1968 its good to have a date buddy. Im feeling very positive xx

Me also I've been in pain for so long looking forward to recovery and a knew knee

Hope all goes well for your surgery and rehab. I had the same surgery in August, and it was a huge improvement. Tim

Nervous is normal. Excited is normal. Do you have kids? If so, do you remember how you felt heading toward due date? hehehe You picked a good time of year. The days will get longer as you recover. I'm sure you are keeping yourself busy waiting for March 7. Welcome!

Thank you for the welcome @maryo52 yes I do have children 13 and 14. It’s a mixed bag this waiting. 14 days tomorrow. I have been looking through the list of equipment needed and wondering, apart from ice what is really necessary. I am 50 (nearly) and apart from this dodgy knee the rest of me functions very well. Any thoughts?

28 days not 14!!

Last edited:
I have been looking through the list of equipment needed and wondering, apart from ice what is really necessary
The things I used the most was the raised toilet seat. (I even bought a portable one after having a set back visiting friends for a weekend and struggling with their low toilet)

Walker and cane got used a lot.

I did not have an ice machine, but may consider one next time, gel packs worked well enough for me.

Thank you for the welcome @maryo52 yes I do have children 13 and 14. It’s a mixed bag this waiting. 14 days tomorrow. I have been looking through the list of equipment needed and wondering, apart from ice what is really necessary. I am 50 (nearly) and apart from this dodgy knee the rest of me functions very well. Any thoughts?
I had a cryocuff and I consider it a must. Sleeping was the most difficult part of my rehab. After awhile I realized going to sleep with that on would get me to fall asleep while the ice melted. My pain level wasn't high, but it was enough to keep me from falling asleep.

I found I needed 3 things post-op: a walker, a toilet seat riser, and something to hold on to getting in and out of the shower. The toilet seat riser is the only thing I used longer than 2 weeks.

At the time I was living in an apartment so I asked management to install a grip bar. I didn't need it much, but more for stability getting in and out of the shower.

This time I'm in a new house with a fiberglass shower stall, so I'm going to use a 11.5" suction cup grip bar and attach it to the narrow glass panel next to the shower door. I already checked with someone at Lowes who is very familiar with my standard 3/16ths framed glass shower stall and he said unequivocally it was way strong enough. It's just a little stability that's needed getting positioned in the shower, and I don't intend to put much weight on it at all.

Oh, and ice packs.:) :-) (:

My big day is Mar 8th.

@robert johnson My day is March 7. I got a walker yesterday. Glad I read your post about toliet set riser I also have a tub/shower so considering the slide across tub chair or suction handle. Hope your surgery goes well. Looks like we will be right together

Thanks for the replies. I have ice packs ready, sticks and crutches, and a high toilet but only downstairs. I have my pre-op on Friday so will see about a raised seat for upstairs. I have a step in shower with no handle so will look into that too!

@catkin69 …. I'm one day ahead of you for surgery March 6 .... mine?... I will be having a TKR on my right knee.. .. guess we will be going through recovery together... so far the one thing I felt most important for my recovery was an ice machine... My pre-op is Wednesday 2/13/19... best of luck to you!

@catkin69 @JDinCT im with you both. LTKR March 7. I just got a walker and I got a suction handle for my shower. I'm thinking of getting the raised toliet seat this week. Trying to make sure I have what will need. Good luck to you both we will recover together

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back