THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

@Mutwa hello! Sorry to hear about the back issues.. I'm not certain about the inversion table and think your surgeon, who knows the details of the approach used, would be the best to answer.

I had an inversion table and never felt comfortable using it after my THR's. But that was just me.

Hello @Mutwa
I agree with CricketHip. That is a question for your surgeon. Some surgeons may find it acceptable, others won’t. I will add that I also have one and have not used it since THR and don’t intend to. Didn’t even bother asking my surgeon because the thought of using it after hip replacement makes me feel uneasy.
I’m sorry you’re dealing with the discomfort of back issues. I hope you find a solution to ease your pain.

Here’s a new one. DPT did some examining. Like looking at the hip outline through the pants and seeing swelling. She said that’s a red flag, would not treat, and told me to go to the PCP and request an ultrasound scan for vascular issues, like clots.

And the movement disorders guy for anti-depressants, so I can cope with the pain better.

She’s the first person who’s looked past the MRI.

She also noted that I have very weak external rotators.

Wishing you the best as you follow up. Stay in touch and let us know what you hear. I hope you find answers soon.
@Mutwa

DVT scan negative. But that’s the veins in the legs. My concern is the arteries in the butts, or perhaps some sort of systematic thing, because I’m feeling pain now wherever the body contacts the mattress.

i plan to ask a doc to get out the stethoscope and listen to the femoral artery for something called bruit.

Sounds like you're doing a great job investigating what's going on and experimenting with creativity. And it sounds like you're checking your gut and your analytical mind.

So sorry to hear of these struggles.

Update. Requested an ultrasound from the Sportsmed. He agreed: Lefty had disorganized scar tissue. The left trochanter area now has significantly less pain and much more strength after getting dry needling from the DPT, plus at home suctioning.

Then I was getting simultaneous symmetrical bilateral leg spasms.The movement disorders doc added a bedtime dose of Rytary (extended release carbidopa/levadopa). That stopped that. So 2-3 multiple diagnoses.

Sold the inversion table. Didn’t work.

Hi @Mutwa
I know how important your workouts are to you- due to your Parkinson's and also mentally....
but I do worry about your gym workouts.
I'm imagining you are physically fit and I wonder how much you think you would "lose" if you gave these shots a chance by abstaining from any rigorous regiment for a while.
Things that can aggravate hip bursitis include too much pressure on the hip, poor overall posture, and engaging in activities that overuse the muscles in the hip. Even climbing a single flight of stairs can cause pain for some people with hip bursitis.
In order to keep this from being a chronic condition, it will need time to resolve.

Hey up M, interested to read you / we have similar issues, I too am early stage Parkys, left THR, doing great, but setback recently, in fact awaiting results of recent x ray.
I’m suspecting Bursitis, of course no expert. What are bilateral shots?
I too can’t give up on the gym, interesting to compare notes.

Well, I finally found a doc, well actually a PA, who did not get distracted by a L45S1 stenosis diagnosis. She ordered an MRI of lefty.

I didn’t know this could be done. What they found:
  • Implant OK
  • Surgically released obturators (both)
  • Surgically released piriformis
  • Associated mild muscle atrophy
  • Mild denervation atrophy mild f the quadratus internus
  • Mild tendinosis of the left common hamstring origin
The surgeon says the three muscles in bullets 1-2 were reattached. The atrophy finding in bullet 4 seems to confirm this. So I don’t know what’s up. Initially, it felt like the reason I can’t externally rotate lefty well is because almost nothing is there to do the job.

So I guess I’ll need the new bone doc to look at the imaging and disambiguate.

Which is strange, because I’ve been able to build up strength there in the past.

One lesson learned is that whatever external rotation exercises I end up with will be for life.

Hey up M, interested to read you / we have similar issues, I too am early stage Parkys, left THR, doing great, but setback recently, in fact awaiting results of recent x ray.
I’m suspecting Bursitis, of course no expert. What are bilateral shots?
I too can’t give up on the gym, interesting to compare notes.
@JohnWilky Bilateral shots are shots to each side.

Me: Pain in left hip. Weak external rotation.
Orthopedist: (Looks at MRI). That’s because your external rotators were cut by your surgeon. We can’t do anything about it. Continue PT. Smear stuff on it. Have a good day.

===========

Please warn people considering posterior lateral entry that if they are considering resuming workouts post-op, they may be limited with this variety of entry. The obturators and piriformis do have a function in your hip.

@Mutwa I am confused about the cut rotators.. were they reattached? If reattached, can't they recover and do well? I'm sorry that your surgeon is so dismissive and can only imagine what your frustration is.

I wonder, could you find a good sports physician, who specializes in Orthopedics and rehab to get their take on this?

@Mutwa I am confused about the cut rotators.. were they reattached? If reattached, can't they recover and do well? I'm sorry that your surgeon is so dismissive and can only imagine what your frustration is.

I wonder, could you find a good sports physician, who specializes in Orthopedics and rehab to get their take on this?
@CricketHip They were “released”. They are currently “scarred down.” I still don’t know what that means. That they are only mildly atrophied implies there is still some function. I think. There is some residual ext rotation, so I will keep working that. I messaged my Sportsmed.

The doc who ordered the MRI is an orthopedist. I was seeing him for a second opinion. He labels his clinic as a Sportsmed center, but it’s really just a surgery center. If he can’t operate on it, he’s not interested.

Aww bummer, but am glad to read that you have a message in to your Sportsmed. Again, I am sorry you have this to worry about.
Just keep on grinding..if they are only mildly atrophied..maybe there still is hope for strengthening.

@Mutwa....so sorry to hear you may have a loose implant. Please keep us up to date with what's going on.

Disconcerting. I thought, how should I change my gait given the pain and suspicion? I tried it. It worked.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom