THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

Good to hear back on your progress. Fun on the lifting!! Several years before hip OS caught up to me, I had transitioned to kettlebells from iron weights. The OS eventually made any type of ballistic movements such as a basic kettlebell swing painful and debilitating the following few days. I’m looking forward to biking, hiking, and yes, kettlebells again. Next week I’m going introduce some body weight squats with a bench.

@Greg555 Recommend 40Fit on FB or Patrons of Greysteel. Both are savvy about lifting after joint replacement. The former is free. The latter requires a dollar a month contribution via Patreon. Both adhere to the Starting Strength system.

Still working on strength training. Weird but makes sense that Im bench pressing more than I’m squatting. I guess that’s understandable, given the trauma of surgery.

6 months left hip. Still strength training and now some balance training as a supplement. Walking on alternate days. Miscellaneous aches and pains in the groins and left IT band areas, that come and go.

Sounds like you’re on your way. Thanks for sharing an update.
Enjoy the weekend!
@Mutwa

Past 1 year R hip, 10 months L.

I continue strength lifting with a DPT/coach, squatting in the 240s, deadlifting 205, increasing 1.5 lb/week.

Got in a bicycle ride today.

Stil some weakness in external rotators when going around a corner in the car, but mild now and improving.

I will always remember your coming alongside. Be blessed,

Paul

Hello @Mutwa
A belated Happy One Year Anniversary! Soon it will be one year for, Lefty.
Time sure is flying. It sounds like you’re doing well. Thanks for stopping by with an uodate.
Wishing you a healthy, happy holiday season and many blessings in 2021! :)

I relate to this comment of yours so much....
I will always remember your coming alongside.
I felt the same way, especially early in my recovery. So often when we are struggling, whether physically, or emotionally/socially, what we most need is someone to walk alongside us and offer support! The folks of Bone Smart do exactly that! :flwrysmile:

Glad to hear you are doing well @Mutwa
You make me nervous loading those new hips with all that weight, but you sound confident in your coach.. and I'm happy if you're happy. :) :-) (:
Thanks for sharing your journey with us.
Hope your week is sweet.:SUNsmile:

Hi all,
Almost one year for leftie.

Saturday, I helped move part of our household goods using a U-Haul. When renting the van, I got a small nip just below the index finger knuckle from a dog that drew blood. I immediately washed it and applied a prescription antibiotic several hours later.

There was mild pain on palpating, barely discernible distal redness when comparing hands, zero swelling, and I’m on 50 mg doxycycline as a prophylaxis for MRSA skin infections. Today, Tuesday, all that is gone except a little pain on palpating.

I note a little asymmetric sensation of weakness on the lateral side of leftie, which goes away with exercise. But leftie is 2 months younger than rightie. No pain.

Any cause for consulting a doctor?

Still lifting. Deadlifting 230lb. DPT/coach have no problems with this, though we’re proceeding slowly.

paul

Oh man, deadlifting 230. You're putting 2 45-pound plates on each end of the dumbbell?! Dang. That's great.

I'm' using resistance bands to do deadlifts. But it ain't near 230 and I'm fine with that. My gym has been closed since the start of Covid.

I think my last official checkin with my surgeon was at nine months. I scheduled a visit at 13 months becauseI was experiencing a weak thigh, and wasn't sure if there was a device problem. He was totally confident there was no device problem. I restarted the PT exercises I had learned starting 6 months out, and voila, problem stopped.

So every surgeon has their preference, but I seem to recall my surgeon making some joke about calling him in 30 years. I see you're a lateral approach man, as I am. What's interesting is that I definitely feel like my hip got better in year two. No question about it. How much of that was basic healing still taking place vs building up strength I'd lost in the years before surgery, I don't know. Feels like both.

Good luck.

Last edited:
@Going4fun I suggest The Barbell Prescription, a book, and coaching using at home equipment, using Barbell Logic Online Coaching, or BLOC. Get someone with experience in implants.

@Going4fun Re weakness in the medial glutes, if that is what you are describing. My DPT/strength coach has me doing reverse lunges along with squats and deadlifts. I’m up to loading a 45lb dumbbell on the side that goes back, being careful to keep the knee of the forward leg out. Once a week on the day I’m not deadlifting. 3 sets of 8 each leg. It’s made a big difference.

Otherwise, I’m doing ok, considering. The one year appointment X-rays were good. On the other hand I’m now struggling with Parkinsonian tremor. We’re still trying to determine if this is indeed Parkinson’s. All the more reason to work on strength and balance!

Ugh. Possible SI joint nerve issues, maybe piriformis, referring to lateral mid upper L leg. I’ve had on and off issues there since surgery, but it’s recently gotten real.

Turns out that the problem is a too loose hip capsule, because of the external rotators and how they were reattached. The problem goes all the way down to the foot, which tends to collapse inward when standing. I’ll do PT to try and tighten things up.

Good luck, I hope it helps. Let us know how you’re doing again at some point.
Happy Friday, hope your weekend is a good one!
@Mutwa

Well, it seems the problem is with the external rotators, causing gait issues and trochanter soreness in the process.

Both external rotator attachments are sore across the lower butt. I do the PT, feels fine, take a walk, do some gardening, then that night get real sore and can’t sleep. The DPT keeps scaling back homework. I’ve taken a methyl prednisone pack—worked for a few days. I take tramadol PRN at night, in addition to NSAIDs, and it stays sore, making sleep difficult. Soreness lasts a couple days. Rinse and repeat.

I know how it started: 2 hour plane flight the day after Mother’s Day, stretched to 5 hours, looseness since surgery, and accidental overuse due to a mental error, in the gym while doing deadlifts.

Nagging concern about implant infection being at the root of this.

May also be due to poor recovery and poor sleep, from Parkinson’s and aging related low testosterone. I intend to ask the Sportsmed about this when I see him at the end of the month.

Sorry to read this @Mutwa I hope you get to the bottom of these issues, finding relief soon. Wishing you the best with your appointment at the end of the month. Let us know how it goes. Enjoy the weekend!

I think I figured it out.

I believe it has to do with a loose or overstretched gluteus medius, dating from post-op. All the symptoms seem to match. And the remedy is to strengthen the glute while roller massaging the abductors.

And after thinking about the geometry of this, I moved to a firmer bed, thus elevating the hip and lowering the glute stretching.

I also switched to naproxen.

Doing all these things, I am feeling much better, and beginning rehab in the gym. I believe that there’s a limit to how much weight to put on the hip as well—post op, I couldn’t stand on the affected leg too long without getting a sharp lateral pain several inches above the knee.

So things are getting better.

Question: Is it OK to use an inversion table after THR? I’ve got one but am limiting myself to 30 degrees below horizontal.

Well, it got to the point of getting foraminal steroid injections in the left L4/L5/S1. That helped me sleep, but am still on painkillers.

Odd that I am restricted in painkiller usage when post op THR pain was much less and I had unlimited and stronger painkillers, and ended up disposing of much of the pills.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back