THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

Hello @Mutwa :wave:
Happy Five Month Anniversary!
Thanks for stopping by to update. Wishing you continued good progress.
Stay safe and well. :)

Question. I tried bicycling today. Mounting turned out to be difficult. I can’t extend the leg over the rear of the bicycle. I have to dump the bicycle to the ground, straddle it, then pull it up.

Otherwise, the ride was fine.

Is this an artifact of the surgery? Prior arthritis? I noted some difficulty prior to surgery, but not to this extent.

Hello and Happy Friday, Mutwa.
Since you’ve experienced two major surgeries within two and a half months time, and it’s only 5 months since the first, you will continue to notice improvement up until a year post op at the least, possibly even longer...which is quite common. Give it time, you’ll most likely get there.
Stay safe and well!
@Mutwa

A belated Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope, Lefty, is doing well. Righty also, since it’s only been a little over five months.
Leave an update if you have the time.
Stay safe and well,@Mutwa :)

Residual symptoms:

Stride is shortened, maybe a preop condition. Psoas stretches help.

I get non-specific knee and distal upper leg pain. Walking seems to help both.

Looking forward to when the gyms reopen. We’ll go real early to avoid aerosols.

How have joint replacements been faring with covid hospitalization? Any threads going on this?

@Mutwa there is a whole forum now devoted to Covid-19 on BoneSmart now.

Thanks.

I’ve had some level 2 right mid-groin pain on hip motion with any internal rotation, especially climbing steps and bending over. Can avoid it by thinking “knees out”. Goes away while walking. This has been going on for over a week.

The question is, when to alert the surgeon? I’m concerned about external calcification.

Hello again @Mutwa
While there is certainly nothing wrong with posing a question here for advice from others who are in various stages of recovery, or have recovered, my feelings are if you‘re suffering pain and have a concern as you mentioned, consider calling your surgeons office for reassurance. I believe any consolation you receive from your surgeon, or his care team will likely put your mind at ease over mere speculation, or the opinions you’ll receive from the mainly non medical professionals here who are best at offering support and encouragement, over a diagnosis.
I hope your discomfort eases soon.

Almost five months. Lifting barbells with a DPT as coach. Currently doing balance exercises, too. Righty does better at this, which is expected.

Some IT band issues left.

Hi @Mutwa ! Forgive me for not having read all of your thread. Sounds like you're getting back into normal life! Was lifting something you used to do? The reason I ask is that about 9-10 months post second hip, I did some unaccustomed lifting, two weekends in a row. First was a little marble statue, three of us lifting and carrying over a raggedy yard. That was ok. Next was a commercial-grade treadmill, two lifters, trying to get into the house, much straining and awkward positioning under load. Hip felt fine until the final heave-ho. Hip said ouch, and had some sharp frustrating pains for about 18 months after. Mostly it doesn't do that now, but there is a ROM-vs-pain issue that really serves me right. I'm glad you have a spotter!

Balance work EXCELLENT! I started taking non-traditional barre classes a year ago (we do most of the work free-standing), and my vestibularly-challenged balance has really appreciated the attention.

Good to hear from you @Mutwa. 5 months already! And already doing some weights.. glad to see your DPT is offering guidance.

The ITB loves to hold a grudge, doesn't it? I struggled with that also. I also felt like I have a tight band that held my upper leg back when striding forward. Then it just began easing up, I'm thinking it was around 7-8 months.
Therapy with a good massage therapist helped me a lot.

Hi @Mutwa ! Forgive me for not having read all of your thread. Sounds like you're getting back into normal life! Was lifting something you used to do? The reason I ask is that about 9-10 months post second hip, I did some unaccustomed lifting, two weekends in a row. First was a little marble statue, three of us lifting and carrying over a raggedy yard. That was ok. Next was a commercial-grade treadmill, two lifters, trying to get into the house, much straining and awkward positioning under load. Hip felt fine until the final heave-ho. Hip said ouch, and had some sharp frustrating pains for about 18 months after. Mostly it doesn't do that now, but there is a ROM-vs-pain issue that really serves me right. I'm glad you have a spotter!

Balance work EXCELLENT! I started taking non-traditional barre classes a year ago (we do most of the work free-standing), and my vestibularly-challenged balance has really appreciated the attention.

Hi zaiberflöte,

I use the program in the book, Barbell Prescription by Dr. Jonathan Sullivan. If you decide to weightlift, try to get a coach, even if it’s a remote one by video. You absolutely need to get the form correct and proceed more slowly than typical. Source for remote lifting: Barbell Logic Online Coaching. Also, my coach Darrin Deaton has a podcast at 40Fit.

Thanks for the recommendations, @Mutwa ! My lifting days are 25 years behind me. The barre classes have given me functional strength that serves me very well, and I don't look half bad for 68 either! :rofsign:

@CricketHip Jaycey treats her ITB with massage too! Mine is merely a sharp pain at the knee that has a simultaneous quantum existence up at its top. You would think I would do something. Too busy living life I guess.

I now mount the bicycle by laying it down and stepping over the frame. Kicking over the rear of the bicycle was causing transient pain in the hip crease, so I’m opting for discretion over valor. Not feeling much discomfort other than muscle fatigue from lifting.

Squatting 142.5 lb under the coaching of a sidelining DPT.
EBBC6E7A-CB72-4A1E-AA1C-00431DF2E5F3.jpeg

Wow. Must feel good to be able to do your activities again. Take care.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back