THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

Woohoo, happy to hear surgery went well and you're resting comfortably! :chuckmarch:

Know it's not been that long since your previous surgery but if you want the Recovery Guidelines resent just let us know.

Here are your guidelines for a review:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks @Jaycey!

@Mutwa you are correct that review is a good thing. I'm happy that I read most of them prior to surgery as I couldn't quite concentrate for any long reading for a while after. :hugzz:

Congrats! I am happy to see your post and know surgery is now in the rear view. Wishing you all the best as you begin the journey....well actually as you continue the journey since one recovery is rolling into the other. We'll continue to be here cheering you on. I hope you rest easy tonight.
@Mutwa

Home from posterior lateral hip replacement. That qualifies as a day surgery. I’m the doc’s second patient to do that. He’s working on making this routine and since his interest converged with mine, that became the default action in my case.

So this was the best of both worlds. Like anterior THA, I got out in one day. Like posterior, surgeon had options and more room if stuff happens.

I attribute this in large part to working out with weights. They helped me to quickly meet PT requirements and presented myself as fit and so a candidate for this.

Anesthesiologist did a general. He said that sedated patients with regional tend to move around in pain avoidance.

Good Morning @Mutwa
Hope you slept well last night. If not, I'll bet a comfy nap is sounding good. Enjoy your first full day back home. Thankfully the worst part (surgery)
is over. :ok:
Happy Wednesday to you! :wave:

Thanks @Layla.

Hey. I’ve got a turquoise band that I left on my wrist, warning that I’ve got Exparel injected and not to do it again for 96 hours. I see it’s a numbing agent on some sort. Anybody know how it’s used specifically in THR?

Pain seems worse than last day 2, but that may just be recency bias, and the fact I’m at home, which requires more walking.

On the other hand, I’m enjoying the peace and quiet, and my dear wife. Today she’s the cutest nurse on the ward!

Minor “scary” symptom. A thrill or buzz that occurs sporadically on the inferior lateral upper leg when putting weight on or off. Started when I got up this morning. It was there preop but had gotten better. Probably just an ODIC. Might be lumbar. I’ll apply cold there.

Disadvantage of being home: can’t call a nurse and ask for more pain meds. Supplementing the hydrocodone with ibuprofen. The internist suggested that before I left the hospital.

But pain level is acceptable as long as I don’t move around much.

Good Afternoon @Mutwa
My surgeon used Exparel also injecting it into the surgical incision just before the end of the procedure. It's a local anasthetic and provides relief by numbing the tissue around the surgical site. It releases pain medication over time and can control pain for up to 72 hrs. It was a one time deal for me and I am not familiar with the wrist band you've mentioned.

Take your meds on schedule and have that cute nurse keep you on ice! :ice: Use the Activity Progression for THR as a rough guideline. I found it helpful, myself. It kept me in check.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening!

Rant.

Bad night. Can’t sleep. Can’t poop. Took two stool softeners plus two miralax doses yesterday. I kept getting thirsty. Drank over a quart of water, I think due to the softeners. Mouth kept getting dry, hands going numb, due to diuretic, but more than normal.

Every time I drifted off, I would choke up and wake with a snort. Can’t get a CPAP because can’t get a diagnosis of sleep apnea despite two tries.

Pain under control with ibuprofen plus hydrocodone. And I’m getting some bowl rumblings finally.

I feel like a trip to the PCP, an internist, to sort things out. I’m wondering if the sleep issue is related to GERT.

Anybody know how it’s used specifically in THR?
Exparel is a pain killer as Layla said. This was new to me post RTHR and it really worked well.
I’m wondering if the sleep issue is related to GERD.
Does your hydrocodone have any acetaminophen in it? If not, you might want to take Tylenol versus ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is tough on the digestive system and might be aggravating your GERD. Good idea to check with your PCP.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads