THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

Yep - that is exactly what back of my leg looked like after a week or so ... takes time to purple up and takes time to yellow out (Bilirubin - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilirubin).

Looks all normal - at least it looks like what my bruising looked like!

Elevate and ice.
Walk around the house every hour or so.
Elevate and ice.

repeat

My OS was quite organized and I had all of my papers and info pre-op and got all of the rest post-op. I got surveys from the OS office pre-op and post op and still get them. I didn't have any dressing, just clear tape and was told if it came off so be it leave it off. I showered daily in hopes it would come off, they removed it at 2 weeks. I was given a prescription for constipation along with my pain meds, took it in the hospital also. Didn't have any home health or PT and everything I needed was covered in my pre-op class which included my wife so she was prepared, they wanted someone to attend with you that could assist you.
Swelling is normal as is bruising. I think you'll find that regardless of approach or restrictions the trauma to your body is still pretty severe. Much is glossed over by many OS and they sell this great procedure, which it is. But they don't seem to want to let people in on the real recovery. Think how it is for those that aren't informed by their OS and don't find a forum like this!

@Eman85 I agree with you, that BS very valuable so you know how much this surgery will impact your life,mobility, sleep, etc. so you can mentally and physically prepare, and hopefully have a better outcome.

Left lateral shoulder spasms from using cane. I figured that might happen. May have to switch back to a walker.

Hi @Mutwa
Toes above nose, or rather keeping your surgery leg higher than your heart helps the swelling recede.
Our Lymphatic System is responsible for helping remove excess fluid accumulation and it doesn't have a pump like our blood vessels do (the heart). It needs movement, like the walking that you are doing to help it move.
Your swelling is temporary but it is annoying and painful, isn't it? It does definitely help to elevate and ice for long periods of time. Another big help is to practice some diaphragmatic breathing and I will tell you more about that, too.
My recent THR gave me much more swelling than with the first hip.. it was painful and annoying.
I didn't get immediate results with manual lymph techniques. Well, I actually did but it would return , but continuing to do the breathing exercises helped decrease the amount that returned.

Here's a few notes about the breathing exercises.. I hope it helps!

Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, or 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 5 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you could get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes seated there in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will, and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.

Sleep is becoming a problem. Was in bed 8pm through 7 am. My Fitbit shows only an hour of deep sleep during that time, and it shows. I’m still sleepy.

Part of the problem is choking while on back and pain on side. The choking part was helped some by renting a convalescent bed. Even so, I still wake up periodically with a snort.

Last edited:
Home healthcare nurse reported rise of systolic BP to 150. Normal is 115-130.

Also my wife woke me for dinner yesterday. I woke with a rapid heartbeat, normal respirations. It was fine after a few minutes.

Last edited:
Pain can cause your BP to rise. Are you still taking your pain meds?

Yes, still taking meds.

Fuller picture: Constipation is back. No BM since Friday.

Feeling sleepy all the time. Can’t read three pages of a book without dosing off. That’s since the hospital.

if I do too many activities, I feel chilled.

RBC, Hematocrit and Hemoglobin were all low post surgery.

Last edited:
@Mutwa You are only days out of major surgery. Please reset your expectations on this recovery. You are feeling sleepy because all your energy is focused on healing. Stop the activity and chill out!

Please read the Activity progression for THRs again. Just because you have no restrictions does not mean you can do it all!

I agree with @Jaycey. Your body is sending you signals... listen carefully to all of them and really try to lower your expectations so early after the surgery. Your body went through major trauma and all it needs is to recover. Focus all your energy on healing... we are not Superman.
:)

Day 8. Constipation swung to diarrhea after taking 200 mg of docusate yesterday evening. (Max per the label.)
Also taking miralax 2/day.

How much and when should be the next dose?

Feeling alert today. First shower. Adding a minute a day to walks. 7 minutes today, which I’ll do twice.

I'd have to look it up but from right after surgery to at least a week or 2 I was using Miralax every day. I never had any constipation. I was very focused on staying hydrated and eating properly. I'm not a back sleeper so it was a problem at first, I get a drip down my throat on my back and it effected my sleep. Fatigue like you're experiencing is very normal, your body is using it's energy for more important things.

I’m eating lots of fiber, prunes and prune juice. Today I added a gallon bottle of water, which I’ll drink from to be sure I get enough.

I was chronically and mildly constipated before surgery.

If you're having issues with choking while on your back you could try to elevate your head. Either add another pillow or two to raise you up slightly, might help you breathe better.

Another option is getting a sleeping wedge, kind of looks like a triangle, the top side is higher than the lower side, and put your pillow(s) on that. I got one at I think it was Wal-Mart for something like $19. Helped me with my back sleeping a ton and having sleep apnea you usually have more breathing, or lack thereof, episodes when on your back.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband has sleep apnea and when he finally went to a sleep study lab the results were alarming to say the least. He now uses a CPAP and sleeps soundly with no lack of oxygen. His oxygen levels were extremely low and in actuality he was barely sleeping. He had no clue.

For no other reason than to help your recovery, please get this checked out.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member