THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

:gaah: I remember that! I also had numerous calls from a nurse affiliated with my Insurance Company.
Gives new value to airplane mode.
I had weekly calls from my primary care doc. Even though not involved in the surgery per se, computer communication means all your docs know about all your other docs and you. The calls got a bit tiring. I had no complaints but the calls were weekly. I remember the last one at four weeks. " How are you doing"? Me:" I am in Acadia National Park hiking in a stream bed" . Them: "It sounds like you are doing well ", Me: speechless at first.Thank you for your concern but I don't anticipate future difficulties. ( I tried not answering the phone. They were persistent)

While I may have been irked that they call shows they care
And it may well be good for others who aren't doing well and are too embarrassed to call.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mutwa I snacked on prunes, dried figs and apricots and almonds. Also took senna tablets. These kept things moving (but not urgently!) in the early days I was on codeine. Agree with @mainegirl1 loads of water or diluted fruit juices are also good: for constipation, to quench insatiable thirst and just to aid the body healing.

Of course. I appreciate it. But still, I love the irony, hope it comes across as good natured, and hopefully others reading this take it in that light, and take precautions when dedicating time to sleep.

Would that my PCP call. I have had a ton of questions that don’t need a surgeon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am aware that stuff happens in recovery. I was doing quite well in recovery until yesterday. I was breaking the pain reliever in half.

Last night, the pain level increased. I went back to a full pain pill, then added a long lasting cold pack, which enabled me to sleep.

Inspection of the incision and leg showed nothing wrong, so I’m attributing this to a bit too much activity. Nothing required a lot of walking, but on listing everything, it’s probable as an explanation.

Yes, most likely it was a little visit to the ODIC. Other than that you are coasting right along.. Hopefully you will feel better as the day progresses.
Have a good Sunday!

Not to be a wet rag, but please try not to get too complacent with your activity so soon. It will land you in the ODIC (overdid it club) every time! No matter what the approach, you've had a bone sawn off and drilled, a joint dislocated and relocated, and muscles tendons and soft fascia moved around and manipulated. :flabber:. All that HURTS and takes time to heal. I always, always always took a full dose of the major pain med (short term, about 10 days total from op date) in the morning and before bedtime just to stay ahead of the pain monkey. You're just 5 days out. Take it easy for the first couple of weeks, keep up the ice and meds, and hopefully recovery will continue without any major setbacks. :thumb:

It would help to have a how to get discharged article. What I will do differently next hip.

1. Find out what medications are due when before I go to bed after leaving the hospital. This is a potentially existential issue if it involves anticoagulants.

2. If the PT comes in in a rush prior to discharge, sloooow down. She/he may to push you into exercises you are not ready for. If it hurts, don’t do it!

3. Ideally the OT should supervise getting into the car. I had no movement restrictions, so it wasn’t a factor for me.

4. My discharge paperwork implied that the caregiver could change the dressing. That’s nonsense. Where’s she going to get xeroform gauze, maintain antiseptic conditions establish watertight conditions, etc?

5. The surgeon and hospital each contacted different home health businesses. This led to confusion the day after discharge.

6. Have an anticonstipation strategy worked out with the internal medicine doc, with follow up steps if the first thing tried doesn’t work.

7. Tip. I was full of questions and concerns that a PCP could answer. I had an excuse, a pustule on the face, and used it to see an urgent care doc on the weekend and get the questions answered.

Last edited:
Hmmmm ... different hospitals have different processes? Facility I was at had everything well organized.

1. I had the list and scripts on discharge.
2. Agree on not rushing anything, but all PT did for me each time in hospital was to ensure I could walk with walker, and go up down steps. They did provide list/diagram of very basic exercises for home.
3. Staff from the joint center took me out - knew zactly how to do it
4. Per plan wife removed dressing at 8 days ... no new dressing after that.
5. No home health business contacted - hospital gave me kit for socks, grabbing thing ... didn’t need anything else

As @ForumUser says, every hospital and OS is different. Don't know about your hospital but mine sent a survey to me wanting my feedback. Silly, silly people! I had a horrid time after I was taken to the Ortho Ward. I wrote a letter to the CEO and let him know that some of his staff was fantastic, that it seemed once you were admitted not so much.

Long story short, I got a call from the head of Patient Services and the head of Physical Therapy. Because of my letter and our phone conversation there are things they are working to change.

1. The aide that wheeled me to the car had no idea how to help with anything. Luckily I had been on BS and knew what to do, my husband already had the seat prepped, pillow handy and said tell me how to help. They're going to change that.

2. Discharge instructions didn't match what OS office wanted. Expressed to both places that they need to get this straight because there are folks that don't know about BS and might not know to question things.

Just a few examples of how we can change how they do things. Let them know how you would like to see them improve.

Scary symptoms time.

My surgery leg is swollen posterior knee and medial above the knee. It looks lavender in color.

Surgery was posterio-lateral.

I noticed it when I noticed I couldn’t fully flex it. Also, it squishes when I walk.

Have you tried icing and elevating? I believe you mentioned earlier that you thought you overdid it.

Try elevating, nose above toes, stay off your feet for most of today and ice, no less than 45-60 minutes at a time, multiple times a day. Actually, it probably wouldn't hurt to ice and time you're not up and moving today.

It's normal to have some swelling. You're only 5 days out from surgery. Bruising is normal too. Can you post a photo? I suspect this is the result of you trying to cut back on your pain meds a bit too soon and overdoing things. You are still in a major healing phase. Lots of rest, ice and elevation is needed.

Yes, just did honest to goodness icing and elevating, but over all the home time, not beyond using recliner.

Part of the problem is the bed. I got a convalescence bed since the normal bed is 18” above the floor. Unfortunately when the knees go up, the feet stay down. I put a bed wedge at the foot of the bed, allowing some elevation.

Medial to knee is muscle hypertrophy from weightlifting pre surgery. Just had ice on, so redness probably from that.

The thigh bruising probably comes from sleeping on the side.

CD1268DB-885F-47BD-B7E5-C90A0C29C69E.jpeg

Attachments

• 153A12DA-8BB4-46B6-A52A-9469801F9F84.jpeg
    153A12DA-8BB4-46B6-A52A-9469801F9F84.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
@Elf1 What does nose above toes mean? Why is it important? I read the link about that and still don’t understand. Also, the link seems to be mostly about TKR.

@Jamie How do narcotics help with swelling? Are they anti inflammatory?

Last edited:
Hello @Mutwa
Toes above nose means that when you're lying down, your toes are elevated higher than your nose.

Following is an article on elevation from the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven't had a chance to read the info yet -
I hope you have a nice evening! :wave:

Hello @Mutwa
Toes above nose means that when you're lying down, your toes are elevated higher than your nose.

Following is an article on elevation from the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven't had a chance to read the info yet -
I hope you have a nice evening! :wave:
I read that. What does the nose have to do with the hips? Prevent a stroke?

Thanks,
Paul

Toes above nose just a helpful way to know if you have your legs elevated enough.
Early days after your surgery try to keep your feet elevated above your heart to control swelling. This is most likely one of the most important thing that you can do to reduce inflammation.
@CricketHip may have a better explanation as she is well versed on the lymphatic system which helps rid the body of excess fluid.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562